Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2005, 08:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Trik-L-Start is designed to keep your engine batteries fully charged during long periods of storage or inactivity. Their website is:

http://www.lslproducts.com/TLSPage.html

The Trik-L-Start is now factory installed in some 2006 models. I just had it installed in my 2005 Journey. It is a nice neat installation with no holes required to route the wiring. See the wiring diagram:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_152098.pdf

Winnebago has issued a Service Bulletin to dealers for the installation:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/~dealer/bulletins/07-electr...01a-Trik-L-Start.pdf

My dealer said he had already installed several and carries them in stock. The installation took less than an hour.

Annapolis, MD
JamesOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Trik-L-Start is designed to keep your engine batteries fully charged during long periods of storage or inactivity. Their website is:

http://www.lslproducts.com/TLSPage.html

The Trik-L-Start is now factory installed in some 2006 models. I just had it installed in my 2005 Journey. It is a nice neat installation with no holes required to route the wiring. See the wiring diagram:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_152098.pdf

Winnebago has issued a Service Bulletin to dealers for the installation:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/~dealer/bulletins/07-electr...01a-Trik-L-Start.pdf

My dealer said he had already installed several and carries them in stock. The installation took less than an hour.

Annapolis, MD
Old 11-08-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: It appears that this is nothing more than a 5amp schottky diode that connects the house battery to the truck battery. This is probably a good idea for some people, but I think $50 is a little much for a $1 diode with some LED's. I bet the dealer pays less than $10 for this thing.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:42 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I installed one myself on my last MH and this one also.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Dirk is probably correct - this device seems to be fairly "stupid." It will keep the battery topped off, but it doesn't say anything about cutting off when the target battery rises to a particular voltage.

I'm not pushing Xantrex products, but I installed their Echo~charge because it is a "smart" charge controller. Smart enough to turn itself off when the target battery is charged. Smart enough to NOT turn itself on when the input voltage is less than 13 volts. (If you aren't charging the source battery, you don't want the target battery to be charged.) It also clamps the output voltage to no more than 14.4 volts and goes into float mode limiting the charge current.

You get what you pay for.....

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It will keep the battery topped off, but it doesn't say anything about cutting off when the target battery rises to a particular voltage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In fact, their FAQ, sez:

"WILL TRIK-L-START™ OVERCHARGE MY BATTERIES? No. Trik-L-Start™ maintains your starting battery(s) at approximately 0.2 to 0.4 volts below your house battery voltage. This is considered to be the ideal setting for starting batteries, and virtually eliminates water loss and gassing..."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm not pushing Xantrex products, but I installed their Echo~charge because it is a "smart" charge controller. Smart enough to turn itself off when the target battery is charged. Smart enough to NOT turn itself on when the input voltage is less than 13 volts. (If you aren't charging the source battery, you don't want the target battery to be charged.) It also clamps the output voltage to no more than 14.4 volts and goes into float mode limiting the charge current.

You get what you pay for..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, you are implying Echo~Charge does this and the Trik-L-Start does not. Where can you point me that proves your implication, facts, please, not opinions. You may very well be right but reading the Trik-L-Start website I don't see the truth in your implication.

Annapolis, MD
Old 11-09-2005, 11:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I'm I missing something? If you don't have a parasitic load on the chassis battery, then will not the charge of the house batteries deplete at approximately the same rate. This assumes the batteries are disconnected and all chassis loads are nil. If you can store your MH at a place that has 110volt available, why would you need these two products?

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Exactly Geeche, as my signature states I have a 2003 MH, and I am plugged in 365 days 24/7, I check my batteries every 2 weeks, The only thing I have is the Solar charger that came wth the coach. Why is there a need to add any other charging system? I have never had a battery problem, or had to use the coach batteries to start the engine. Am I missing something in this whole thread??? BTW I have the original batteries installed, If on my next trip they have to be replaced, I feel that they performed satisfactorily..

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I could not access the bulletin using the link above, it then asked for a password. Is there a general password for the public to use?
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have several parasitic loads on my chassis batteries. I have a chassis battery disconnect but I elect not to disconnect.

How do you keep your chasssis batteries charged?

Annapolis, MD
Old 11-09-2005, 12:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I could not access the bulletin using the link above, it then asked for a password. Is there a general password for the public to use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are right. When I posted my original post, no password was required for that Service Bulletin. Is this proof that someone at Winnebago reads these boards?

Annapolis, MD
Old 11-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JamesOne:
John, you are implying Echo~Charge does this and the Trik-L-Start does not. Where can you point me that proves your implication, facts, please, not opinions. You may very well be right but reading the Trik-L-Start website I don't see the truth in your implication. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>James - I read over the poop for the product before I made my post this morning. I'm always interested in learning about new products, especially those that are technology-focused.

What is extremely important is what advertising DOESN'T say. Nowhere in the Trik-L's product description does it mention the features that I highlighted in my first post. It just ain't there.

Don't get your knickers in a twist - I'm sure your Trik-L will work just fine.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:05 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Hi James,

I have a parasitic load on my chassis battery so ran a 14 ga. wire with agitator clips ( ) from my coach battery positive to the chasiss battery positive. I have the MH plugged in 24/7/365. It keeps everything ready to roll.

I did unplug the MH for an approaching thundrstorm and then forgot to plug in back in and all 3 batteries went dead so I'm sure I shortened the whole battery bank life with that smooth manuever. If I were to ever boondock, I'd disconnect the wire until I got the engine fired up in the morning and then reconnect it.

Anyway, a Trik L Charge will work but so does an ordinary wire for cheap guys like me.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't get your knickers in a twist </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I give up. I ask for facts and I get this superiority rubbish. No more from me on this thread.

Annapolis, MD
Old 11-09-2005, 03:11 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Hi All,
I'm staying out of this one! (Echo~Charge installed and working fine, no more problem with the parasitic loads of the CAT and Allison)
Old 11-09-2005, 03:56 PM   #16
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Captain Bud:
BTW I have the original batteries installed, If on my next trip they have to be replaced, I feel that they performed satisfactorily. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bud, I just replaced my automotive battery. After all of this time that it was in there I just found out that it was bad. It had a bad cell.

Now, using the Battery-Minder I was able to keep my "questionable" battery up to snuff if was constantly connected. While running I would be loosing volts expecting to see more change voltage on the One Place panel. The old battery would not spin over the starter with authority unless I ran the BM.

The new battery is a real power house BIG difference. It's basically the same thing in a Delco suit. If and when I find myself sitting for more than a week, the BM will be one of the first things I hook up.

The BM will assure an extended longevity for the new battery and it'll always be ready to "start engine".
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:01 PM   #17
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JamesOne:
I give up. I ask for facts and I get this superiority rubbish. No more from me on this thread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What you got was a bit of dry humor. "Please" don't get your knickers in a knot.

We're all here to help you and perhaps you're not exactly getting the replies you expected however I can tell you one thing if John_Canfield says something, i would listen. he doesn't idly post for self gratification.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:55 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Jamesone:

We have an 04 Journey and have an appointment the 15th to have Trik-L-Start installed. I have no idea what is sucking the batteries to their death but whatever it is I hope this is the answer.

We went with Trik-L-Start because Winnebago did. Figured if we have a problem then they'll have an answer, hopefully.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:03 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

JamesOne

Thanks for your post and sharing the Trik-L-Start wiring diagram info. I have been holding a Trik-L-Start in my hand for several weeks trying to decide where to mount. The diagram had the answer. I'll try mounting it this weekend. I think Winnebago's mounting is the preferred meathod as opposed to mounting directly to the batteries.

Thanks again.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:06 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I installed one in a freinds brave last month. All working fine. Have ordered one for my journey and will install as soon as it gets here.