Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2006, 04:20 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

You can add a cut off switch very east. Check Camping World. They have them listed but you should be able to get one from any RV dealer. A simple knife switch will work fine.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:13 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Are there any competitors to Trik-L-Start? Or is the Trik-L-Start the best of the lot?

I've decided that this is a good idea, but want to make sure here isn't something better out there.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:26 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

I have an alternative to the trik-l-start (although quite a bit more expensive) I didn't know it till after I installed it. It was part of my solar system that I installed from amsolar. The solar regulator (heliotrope) has a feature that when the solar system is charging the house battery a maximum of 5 amps will go to the engine battery (if wired properly) after the house battery is up to @13.2 volts. At nite if you are plugged in with your built in charger turned on, the power will backfeed thru the solar controller and charge the engine battery also, if the house batteries are up to @ 13.2 volts.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:38 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

I would love to add a solar charging system to our coach, but can't justify the cost for this coach. I hope to be fully retired next summer and we may be looking for a newer coach at that time. I am trying to make sure most of the additions I am making to this one can be easily removed and transferred to the next.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:15 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Hello Kazoo Tom,
To answer your question, yes. There is a device called Echo~Charge which has a higher charge current capacity for the chassis battery. The Trik-L-Start is listed as max. 5 Amps. while the Echo~Charge is rated to deliver 15 Amps. max.

I installed the Echo~Charge about a year ago and now I pay little attention to the chassis battery state of charge. They are always at or around 12.9 Volts. We also have a Prosine 2000 that can source 100 Amps. of charge current so keeping everything topped off is not a problem. (440 Amp./hours of AGM coach batteries)

I agree with you that a device like this is a very good idea especially for full timers. The alternative of adding a disconnect switch to the chassis batteries may be appropriate for long term storage with no power source. Although I think that just disconnecting the negative connections on the chassis batteries for this occasion would serve the purpose and be much less costly.

Here is just one link to a sellers site for the Echo~Charge.

http://store.solar-electric.com/echo-charger.html
Old 05-21-2006, 04:37 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

MrTransistor thanks for the information on the Echo Charge. It seems a bit pricey, but clearly has significantly more power than the Trik-L-Start.

I agree, simply disconecting the battery cable for long term storage if a simple cure for the drain problem. Ideally I would set up a solar power system to care for the batteries. Maybe on the next coach.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:33 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

In a situation where the coach is not plugged in, doesn't the Trik L Charge simply cause all of your batteries to go dead?
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:34 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

DonavonP, I was concerned about the same problem, or possible problem. As I understand it the Trik-L-Start will not draw the house batteries down below a certain point. One easy solution to long term storage (we both live in snow country) is to simply disconnect the starting battery to prevent parasitic drain. Trik-L-Start can also be used with a solar charging system to maintain the battery, but that starts to get rather expensive. There is also a product called Echo Start which does the same thing, except it is rated to 15 amps instead of just 5. It is also approximately 3 times as expensive.

My next question; can anyone suggest a source for purchasing Trik-L-Start other than direct from the manufacturer? I am always looking for ways to save a few pennies.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:08 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">can anyone suggest a source for purchasing Trik-L-Start </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Winnebago dealer stocks them and sold me one for $107, installed.

Annapolis, MD
JamesOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:01 AM   #30
Winnie-Wise

Wow james, that sounds expensive. I know I can purchase direct from the manufacturer for $48.95 plus $3 something shipping. Installation looks to be very straight forward. I am still hoping to find someplace that carries it at a discount if possible.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:08 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

Hey Tom, why not buy from our irv2 owner/sponser? Check this link I have the trik-l-start and it works great for me. If you're going to go to a different rig soon, just hook it up using the alligator clips. Then it will take about 5 seconds to remove it.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:11 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the link, Tom. With the shipping it comes out to about the same price as buying direct from the manufacturer. I will then support our sponsor and buy from RVupgrades.