Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2018, 10:14 PM   #1
Skyhawker

Torn Slide Roof Cover

I've developed a tear in the roof cover of the streetside slide on my 2009 Adventurer 35A. With the slide out, it is in the middle of the rear edge and extends straight forward about two (2) feet. My questios are 1) can it be repaired or do I need to have it replaced, and 2) If it needs to be replaced, any idea what that will cost and how long it will take? Thanks.
Skyhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I would get hold of an awning company they do have mobile units and have them give you a quote on a fix or replace. They will come to you so on your schedule most of the time.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Do not know how handy you are skyhawker, but Amazon, Walmart, Camping World, etc all carry awning repair tape. It is an adhesive tape.

Helped a neighbor tape a tear in his slide cover several years ago. Still holding up.

We tore our lvngrm slide cover last spring. SWMBO's esthetic does not embrace voyage repairs that become permanent. Ordered both lvngrm and bdrm slides from ToughTop http://toughtopawnings.com/index.html for $304. This 71 year old and his 45 year old son installed both in about 1 1/2 hrs.

Not selling ToughTop, just telling what I did.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yep, the nylon-reinforced clear awning tape is quite durable, and if the tear is taped carefully(on both sides) it can only be seen if one knows what they are looking for. My cousin taped his main awning and the tape lasted 8 years.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I used Eternabond tape on mine both sides of rip 2 years ago. Still holding up fine. Surface prep is the key. I cleaned with lacquer thinner then iso alcohol.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:42 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I did use some clear awning tape to reinforce some leading edge spots that were starting to let go. lasted several years. After 6 years of full time camping, the oem toppers were losing some stitching, and were not rolling smoothly. I contacted 'Tough Tops' in Vancouver, WA, gave them my measurements, a couple of weeks later, I had three new topper fabrics delivered to my RV site. Costs for the three toppers were $140, $160, and $179 based on size. Following their video instructions, this old guy replaced all three by myself. Would have been much easier with a helper, but all turned out great.

And, an added bonus, the fabric was much better than the oem stuff, much quieter in wind storms, puddled less, and rolled up / deployed much smoother. Very, very happy with the product. Replacement was 2 1/2 years ago, still as happy as can be.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I just had all of my topper replace with Stone Voss toppers. Mine came stock with Carefree of Colorado and these are $200 less and only took 5 days to get them from Florida to Oregon, great toppers and Ingrid is great to work with.
RV Awnings & Slide Toppers From Stone Vos
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Call Tough Tops and determine the cost of a new topper. Yours is likely in poor shape after 10 years and could fail again. Read the instructions on their web site on removing and installing a new topper yourself. It is very simple with a second person helping and you might as well do it sooner rather than later. My guess is it would be in the same range price wise as a repair.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I know this is a slightly older post but thought I would add that we just had our slide topper replaced. We accidentally rubbed a sign and it ripped the slide topper. We are staying in Mesa for a month so I called home to get an estimate from our Winnebago dealership. Price was around $225 plus $70 shipping if I wanted to install it myself. I then called an RV Awning Repair Company out here who gave me a price of $270 installed!! Well, had them come out and had a new slide topper installed and they even fixed a couple of rivets that popped. Couldn't be happier.
Catawampus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, slide