Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-05-2006, 05:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We are planning to remove the carpet and would like to know, from those of you who have done so, are you glad you did? As much sand and clay as I have mopped up from the galley & hall seems like that carpet is not the best way to go.

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30'
auntsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We are planning to remove the carpet and would like to know, from those of you who have done so, are you glad you did? As much sand and clay as I have mopped up from the galley & hall seems like that carpet is not the best way to go.

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30'
auntsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We take our shoes off before entering.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:14 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We had ours removed and replaced with vinyl flooring. We removed from just behind the front seats all the way to bed room. We did not remove carpet in slide.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

You may want to consider what I'm going to do this year...replace the carpet with laminate flooring. I did my house kitchen last year and it was very easy, looks great and is very tough. I have read several people on the forums that have done this.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:35 AM   #6
doc
Winnebago Owner

We have a friend who replaced the carpet in his Pace Arrow and had a heck of a time getting the staples out of the floor. I cannot imagine the problem of replacing with tile or vinyl. Carpet covers our step well cover as well as the slide floor and other hard to cover places.
I expect the coach will be noisier when traveling as well as having a colder floor with the tile.
Sometimes I wish we had a bigger area with tile, but not the entire coach. Darker carpet would be nice however.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Buy a roll of the stickon clear carpet protector that the dealers use and place it in the high traffic areas of your coach. Or use throw rugs as we do.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Depending on what you pur back in, watch the weight issue as ceramic tile will be very heavy in comparison. I think laminate wood would be a good choice over existing carpet combined with a few throw rugs. We use throw rugs every time we go out to save the carpet.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:44 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Cutting and taking the old carpet out was no problem. Installer used a patch sealer for any holes in sub floor. Best thing we ever did. We did the samein out 97 Pace Arrow. Floor is very esy to keep clean. No extra noise.We tried carpet runners. They are a pain. So is the plastic runner you buy on a roll. Only take my shoes off when I go to bed or relax in the recliner. This was a one day project.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 01-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Tom:

Did you replace the carpet on the floor of the slide out? I want to remove carpet and use either plank vinyl or Pergo but I've been cautioned about the slide. In looking at mine, I don't see where it would be a problem, especially if the new flooring is not thicker than the existing carpet/padding.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

No we did not replace the carpet in the slide. To replace the carpet under the slide. You will have to tilt it back to get under it. My slide had no leakes and still does not. So we did not want anyone messing with it. The installer cut the carpet just in front of the slide and rolled the carpet under. It looks just as good as if it had been installed that way from Winnebago to start with. We had this done on site while we were in FL. two years ago. Not sorry at all. If I were to order a MH. I would have them leave the carpet out.
2010 Ford Flex