Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Tire monitoring systems

What tire monitoring system do you use and how do you like it or hate it. Do they work?
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
Site Team

THEY WORK! We're using an EEZRV system for 10 tires. Hit a pot-hole out on the Texas/New Mexico border and it cut a toad tire. Instantly started screaming at me or otherwise I would have never really known as the handling of the RV didn't change at all. I tell everyone asking that it's one of those things you should not leave home without.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Have been looking at that system also need 10tires. do you have flow thru caps? If so how do you get them did not see them in their add for the 10 tires.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
Site Team

We have this one (*the monitor is slightly different). I don't think they are flow-through caps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do not use the safety caps. There are 4 monitors on my car that we just leave on there (even though the car has a system). I ended up using their stickers (in the box) that label them and used clear nail polish on top of that to seal that so that when tires are rotated I still know where the sensor is.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thank you that helped a lot. I am still looking though, but not for long mind you.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I definitely recommend them if you have duals or tow as the price for not having them can get horrible. Not only can it ruin the tire and set you out on the roadside, it can run the tire until it comes off the rim, takes out the brake line and part of the unit sidewall!
Or if you are really having a day, it can run hot, make the brake line leak, catch brake fluid on fire and you can set on the roadside while the whole thing burns! If you travel much, look for the burned spots along the side of the highway and ask yourself if that was an RV?
I like this one as I do not want to cheap out on something that may keep me from being killed:
https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Inflat...07-FT-6-C.html
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

A year ago I bought a TST 507 TPMS from TechnoRV. A good unit which gave much peace of mind during a long trip. The non-flow through sensors were a bit of a pain during initial air-up because you have to dismount the sensor each time you need to add or remove pressure to get it to where it should be.

It had an LCD display which functioned well but tended to be a bit hard to see in direct sunlight.

Upon return from that trip I decided to upgrade to a newer model with flow-through sensors and a color display. Much better in all respects.

If anyone gets grumpy about such things, I have no affiliation with TechnoRV except to buy some of their products.

By the way with a TPMS you don't have to keep one eye on the road and the other on the display. You set high/low perimeters on the temperature and pressure and a loud alarm will sound if any are exceeded. For example, just before our current trip I was tightening a valve stem extension and managed to twist it off. A second after the air started escaping the broken stem the TPMS low pressure alarm went off. Works as advertised!!!
Old 08-09-2019, 08:23 PM   #8
Veteran RV Owner

I use the Eeztire TPMS...yes it works! It monitors my tire pressures and temps. I turn it on a few minutes before hitting the road to get all the tire sensors responding. I have had to replace a battery on occaision if a sensor is not registering. Otherwise, it works well.

I also had the Tyron straps installed on my coach. What the strap does is prevent the complete collapse of the blown out tire (something akin to a "run flat") on the rim, which results in loss of control. It buys me some time to get control of the coach and safely pull off to the side of the road while using minimal braking.

www.tyron.com
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

If buying a TPMS, definite value in those with adjustable settings for pressure, both high and low as well as temperature as it did take a bit of experience using the system to figure out how much the pressure and temp will vary. Just setting for a percentage above or below on pressure was not good enough for my use as simply setting in the sun changes the tire temp and pressure and I did have to reprogram the limits on the alarms to avoid alarms due to the change from setting to driving.
We set the unit over on the passenger side of the rig as the driver does not need more things to look at and the passenger side is far better for checking to see what the numbers are doing, while the alarm will let the driver know if it becomes critical.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #10
Site Team

I have the EEZ Tire system and like it just fine. I bought the non-flow thru style and immediately removed the "anti-theft" coverings. Not worried about theft so why hassle with the special wrench, etc.

The flow-through look to be about 50% heavier than the non and my opinion is that's a detriment rotating around at 60 mph at the end of the valve stem.

Without the anti-theft cover it's as easy as removing a valve stem cap to put air in the tires and it's really not necessary to add air all that often.

The EEZ system works great.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Thanks to all for your input. I think I will order and not worry about the flow-thru nor the anti-theft locks as do not live in an area where theft occurs and most people look out for their neighbor's rig when they are parked. I think I will order it on Monday.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We settled on the TireMinder A1A and I must say that it was pretty darn easy to set up, install, use, etc. This system has a fairly short learning curve and it has served us well after almost 1 year of use.

I also worried some about the flow-through feature on the valves. As it turns out the standard caps are easy to take on and off. The safety nuts are also easy. I don't think the flow-through caps are necessary.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

It says not to use on rubber valve stems. Does your Toad have rubber valve stems or metal.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Using Tire Safeguard. Worked fantastic for almost 2 years. Then I turned it on one day recently and all the readings went crazy, wrong tire indicated on the screen etc. One tire would not read. Changed batteries and replaced 2 of them. Still not working.

Going to try to auto set it one more trip and if no luck it goes in the garbage.

Incidentally-- 3 calls for tech support and no answer.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

We use the TPMS system --- I had their original system (non-flow through senders and monochrome display) and liked it but have upgraded to the flow through senders and the color monitor --- really love it as it is easier to adjust pressures as needed (up or down) and the color monitor is much easier to read. If you have a longer coach, the kit comes with a remote antenna to extend the range for the senders (like from your towed) you are pulling behind the motor home.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Using Tire-Safe Guard for two years now. Recently added four sensors for the toad for a total of ten. No extra antenna needed. Works great.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

What is the model number of the one you have. Did you have to replace the rubber valve stems in the toad to metal ones. They say not to use with rubber valve stems.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:34 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Eagle View Post
What is the model number of the one you have. Did you have to replace the rubber valve stems in the toad to metal ones. They say not to use with rubber valve stems.
Can't remember the model number but it's an older model with a whip antenna rather than the stubby one, plus the connection to charge it is a mini-USB connector rather than a plug type. When I bought for more sensors, there was no warning about not using rubber valve stems. Current valve stems are part of the Ford TPMS system and not sure if they can be replaced.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #19
Busycakes

TST System

TST system with 10 monitors. Adjustable pressure and temperature. On RV and toad.

Length of unit did require I use a signal extender. Also as with most monitoring systems the sending units are only accurate within 5 PSI. I air tires to desired PSI and the reported pressure varies between sensors when atmospheric temperature is equal. ie no sun on any tires. Evidently the technology isn’t exact as I’ve a brand new 2019 Lincoln and have the same type variances.

Still pleased with them after 5 years and 40,000+ miles.
Busycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Tire Monitoring Systems

Have had several TPMS but not on my current RV. Probably need to add one as it was a big help when a dragging brake caliper (fixed after recall) caused tire to heat up dramatically. I am replying about the comment on not installing on rubber valve stems. Not a problem on RV, which has metal stems, but I added transmitters to my TOAD and did not spend the extra for having metal valve stems installed. After several months the weight of the sensor had fatigued the rubber in the valve stem and two of my tires developed slow (very slow) leaks. Tire shop diagnosed and repaired the problem.

Tags
ems