Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #1
2016 Itasca Sunova 35G

Tire cut in Front Tire- Ok or Replace?

Hi, Brought the coach home from storage before taking it on a 3,500 mile round trip out West. Washed it and when I got to the tires I noticed a cut in the front Right Tire. Cut is about 1/16" deep, not leaking any air. Leaving in about 5 days and not sure if I should just watch it to see if it gets any bigger or deeper or if I need to replace it. If I do, I need to find someone fast that has the tires in stock and switch it out too. Guess I would probably need both fronts to keep them matched. Coach is a 2016 Itasca 35G that I bought used. Tires are probably original. Has about 25,000 miles on it.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	210824-Itasca Tire cut 1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	180635   Click image for larger version

Name:	210824-Itasca Tire cut 2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	180636  

spydorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:59 AM   #2
Site Team

If they are original then they are a couple years from aging out. Maybe swap 2 out for 2 new drive tires and keep the "good" one as a spare if you need it in the next few years?
Old 08-24-2021, 01:40 PM   #3
Site Team

A 2016 coach has 2015 DOT dates on the tires so that means your tires are 6 years old. For me, and many others 6-years is the time to replace motorhome tires. The mileage means nothing.

However, even if you don't want to replace them at 6-years, that cut in the sidewall would be the decider - time for new tires, at least up front. And, it's always better to replace them all at the same time.

My 2017 coach has 2016 tires and I plan to purchase all new tires next year. You don't want to risk a tire failure on a motorhome. That can be deadly.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:36 PM   #4
2016 Itasca Sunova 35G

Thanks. Been calling around for replacements. Everyone is out of stock and can't get till after we leave on 8/30. Would like to switch to the TOYO's if possible. May see if I can find them down the road somewhere. Will keep a close look on it.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:49 PM   #5
Site Team

I was looking at Toyo M154s just last week. Found a chain of truck tire stores in my area that had 50 in size 265/75/22.5 in their warehouse in Dallas. This tire and size is the replacement for the Michelin XRV 255/80R/22.5

Try Southern Tire Mart - https://www.stmtires.com/

https://www.stmtires.biz/Shop-For-Ti...tid=Toyo548760
Old 08-24-2021, 04:01 PM   #6
2016 Itasca Sunova 35G

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I was looking at Toyo M154s just last week. Found a chain of truck tire stores in my area that had 50 in size 265/75/22.5 in their warehouse in Dallas. This tire and size is the replacement for the Michelin XRV 255/80R/22.5

Try Southern Tire Mart - https://www.stmtires.com/

https://www.stmtires.biz/Shop-For-Ti...tid=Toyo548760
Thanks for the heads up.

Looks like the Toyo size would be 245/75/22.5 in the M154's to replace the Michelin 235/80/22.5

We're leaving Cleveland on 8/30 heading out to Albuquerque then to Salida Colorado. Trip takes us through Amarillo TX. They have a branch there, so I gave them a call and they have 8 in stock. Not sure I want to wait till I get there, but if I can't find closer, I'll probably go there
Old 08-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Do you have a spare in reasonable condition that you could switch-out? If not, I'd go to a truck tire shop and see if they have a used tire in good condition that could be mounted in place of your cut tire. When I had my tires replaced, I only paid $75 for a good, used tire. I wouldn't want to go on a trip with that cut unless I had it inspected by a good truck tire shop.

This may help but, at a minimum, I'd get it inspected:

https://mechanicbase.com/tires/sidewall-tire-damage/
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 06:23 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

At 1/16" deep that cut wouldn't bother me a bit. You could squirt a little superglue behind it if you want just to make sure it doesn't open up any, but the cut itself isn't really something I'd be worried about. Like Bob said you should have it inspected by a truck tire shop, but if you found replacements along your route and they can schedule you in, that would be my plan.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:48 PM   #9
Site Team

On www.irv2.com there is a guy that posts there with a username of Tireman9. He works for Firestone in Akron and has 40 years of tire experience.

If you post your photo there and put a title like you have here he is likely to chime in.

I had a tire issue a week or so ago and posted there that I had a tire problem and there was a photo. Tireman9 pretty quickly chimed in and was very helpful.

Glad that the contact info helped.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

https://www.rvtiresafety.net/ is his blog and it is very informative on all things tires.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:45 AM   #11
2016 Itasca Sunova 35G

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
On www.irv2.com there is a guy that posts there with a username of Tireman9. He works for Firestone in Akron and has 40 years of tire experience.

If you post your photo there and put a title like you have here he is likely to chime in.

I had a tire issue a week or so ago and posted there that I had a tire problem and there was a photo. Tireman9 pretty quickly chimed in and was very helpful.

Glad that the contact info helped.
Thanks! Posted it there also. I happened to run across your tire issue. Did you replace or move it to the back? From the pic it sure would have concerned me also.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:02 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydorman View Post
Thanks! Posted it there also. I happened to run across your tire issue. Did you replace or move it to the back? From the pic it sure would have concerned me also.
I got a good alignment at a semi truck shop and moved the two right rear tires forward and the two fronts to the right rear.

Tireman9 told me in that thread that it was not dangerous and fairly common steer tire wear but probably due to misalignment.

The shop owner at the truck shop told me the same thing. It's seems fairly common on semi-truck steer tires.

My Toe-in and Caster were off enough to cause that river wear.

I still plan to replace my tires next summer.

We're headed the same direction as you - we leave on Sept 3rd for Santa Fe, then Creede, Colorado, then on to Durango and Delores, Colorado before hitting Albuquerque. We return to Texas around the 1st of October.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #13
2016 Itasca Sunova 35G

Well, found the tires in-stock at an online tire place. Tire-Easy.com. Found a tire shop in Dayton which is our first stop that will mount them, so ordered and had them sent there. Just going to bite the bullet and have all 6 replaced when we get there. Thinking we will be Ok for the first leg of the trip.
Thanks for all the comebacks and advice.
Carl
Old 08-29-2021, 06:33 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

There is a small (NAPA affiliate) shop in Washington Courthouse that got me 2 of those in 2019 within 4 days. North Carolina factory makes them. Those exact tires
Old 08-29-2021, 08:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I personally wouldn’t worry about it. Just keep your hands on the wheel at all times. Stay in the right lane. Be prepared to move to the shoulder to avoid a crash if the tire blows. Make sure your insurance is up to date and you have a will. LIfe is a risk so just relax and enjoy the possibilities that could result from a cut in your tire. I don’t think anyone here can predict what will happen. Similar to any problem you encounter. Fix it or live with the consequences. Life is simple really.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:10 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
At 1/16" deep that cut wouldn't bother me a bit. You could squirt a little superglue behind it if you want just to make sure it doesn't open up any, but the cut itself isn't really something I'd be worried about. Like Bob said you should have it inspected by a truck tire shop, but if you found replacements along your route and they can schedule you in, that would be my plan.
How does superglue effectively bond to rubber? Is this a best practice?
Old 08-30-2021, 08:32 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Tire cut

I had NAPA inspect all tires on my 2015 Sunstar 27N and decided to replace all wit Michelin’s. They gave me a fair deal and mounted, balanced and alignment. Better to be safe on the road, especially for a long trip
buns2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:44 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydorman View Post
Hi, Brought the coach home from storage before taking it on a 3,500 mile round trip out West. Washed it and when I got to the tires I noticed a cut in the front Right Tire. Cut is about 1/16" deep, not leaking any air. Leaving in about 5 days and not sure if I should just watch it to see if it gets any bigger or deeper or if I need to replace it. If I do, I need to find someone fast that has the tires in stock and switch it out too. Guess I would probably need both fronts to keep them matched. Coach is a 2016 Itasca 35G that I bought used. Tires are probably original. Has about 25,000 miles on it.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
So not into the cords then, good. That tire will look the same after your trip as it does right now. But my caution would have me move it to an outside rear dual location, and then watch it for stability. That will require a dismount and remount, so the cut can be on the outside and viewable. I strongly suspect it will look the same 2 years from now too. That outside rubber's job is only to protect the cords from damage. It adds no structural strength to a tire. If and when and if cording should become visible at the bottom, you then schedule replacement.
Construction vehicles get such damage often, and it's ignored. If not, they'd be changing out tires weekly on some jobsites. A tire shop that supports industrial vehicles will confirm this reality. We that only drive highways just don't have that practical real-world experience on this.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:53 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 99037 View Post
So not into the cords then, good. That tire will look the same after your trip as it does right now. But my caution would have me move it to an outside rear dual location, and then watch it for stability. That will require a dismount and remount, so the cut can be on the outside and viewable. I strongly suspect it will look the same 2 years from now too. That outside rubber's job is only to protect the cords from damage. It adds no structural strength to a tire. If and when and if cording should become visible at the bottom, you then schedule replacement.
Construction vehicles get such damage often, and it's ignored. If not, they'd be changing out tires weekly on some jobsites. A tire shop that supports industrial vehicles will confirm this reality. We that only drive highways just don't have that practical real-world experience on this.
I would love to see an interview with a Freightliner service shop, a major tire dealer and anyone with this view. Let’s add a mortician also. Not one of them would concur with potentially dangerous advice. None of us have a crystal ball so it’s better to err on the side of prudence rather than hope.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace