Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Thermostatically speaking

It appears the the trusty Coleman thermostat in our Journey always wants to run the heat pump and the gas furnace together. For a while, it didn't want to run the heat pump at all, but as mentioned on this forum, I tore it apart and sprayed contact cleaner on the switches, now the heat pump runs. But to get the gas furnace off, I had to turn off the propane and strangle the poor thing. Its around 41 degrees F outside, and the heat pump alone is holding it around 55 degrees inside, pulling 23/24 amps.

So it appears the heat pump functions but the thermostat won't listen to me when I suggest ever so politely that I only want electric heat. Is this a "normal" way this electronic marvel functions?
Old 03-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If the set point for the electric is more than 5 deg. over ambient, the both heat sources will turn on. to get electric only try to set the thermostat to less than 5 degrees and move up as the temperature rises.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yes, that's a lot of amps to me. All of the ones I have had, I start out low numbers and gradually up the temp without engaging the furnace. I believe I can set the temp 4degrees higher than the ambient temp inside. When it gets too cold outside for the heat pump to work it engages the furnace automatically. I wouldn't force mine by strangling the propane off.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hi blevtr,

I have a Winnebago Sightseer now with no heat pumps (and I don't miss them either). I had a Fleetwood Jamboree before though- that did have it. When it's very cool inside, the proprietary order on the thermostat dictates the furnace will fire up first unless you set the switch on "electric heat" before hand.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

What temp is your t-stat set for?

If your t-stat is set above 59, then it is working about normal. If set at 55, then not normal.

Amps seem about right for both compressors. If your t-stat is set above 59, I would be wondering why the heat pump can't keep up.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

The heat pump eventually brought the inside temp up to 61, then shut off. So that part is working OK. Evidently, I have to set the thermostat about 5 degrees above room temp, set electric heat and then fiddle with it as the temp goes up? Excuse me, but that just seems silly that we have to do that. Is that just a problem with the older units?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

blevtr, It is set up that way to get the house warmer in less time (for your convenience). If you only want the heat pumps on- then you have to "cheat" with the thermostat. If I could make a suggestion...maybe consider getting a supplemental heater (like one of those faux fireplace things) or just heat-only. Unless elect. consumption is a big issue (like when boondocking), this alternative works great! I've saved propane and when I had heat pumps- they were noisy.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I installed a $3 dollar on off switch at the thermostate, on the ( blue) wire going to the furnace, now only the heat pumps work. I havent run the furnace only once a year to see if it still works
Old 03-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

On my Journey, the furnace will come on any time the outside temp is below 45 degrees Even when you have it set for electric. I've been thinking about adding a separate switch to turn off the furnace.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I really like ron55's idea of a separate switch. In my coach, the fan for the gas furnace is much louder than the heat pumps, it almost howls. Mostly, I just want the heat to function as it should without sneaking up on it. Lots of good responses, much appreciated.