Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The Slide won!!

Dw was opening the slide not realizing the cabinet door came open. The wood trim on the slide was ripped loose. I couldn't see how to take the board off. It looks like a 1x4 about six feet, with a piece of trim in the center. I ordered a new board, and trim piece from local dealer. They said I should get the parts in a week to ten days. I am hoping someone can tell me how this is put on. There seems to be screws that were pulled out, but they seem to be behind the board. The board appears to be fastened to a metal plate. I am hoping there is a way to take it apart with out breaking and prying the board away from the metal.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

When mine wood was pulled loose due to a slide clamp dropping back in place, it pulled the wood out and bent the metal behind it. For mine the small trim is held in place with double sided tape. Somewhere, someone discussed what they sawed through it with. Remove that trim, then the screws for the wood board are visible. Remove the wood, and check the metal plate. Mine is what bent. Had to remove it, screwed in, straighten it out, drill new mounting holes (self drilling screws are used), then reinstall wood, new tape and reapply the trim.

The double sided tape sounds like it is still the preferred mounting method for the trim.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, I tried to pull the trim but stopped out of fear of messing it up. I will try to to find the forum explaining how to get thru the double sided tape. You have helped me understand, what I didn't understand . I did not order the trim board since the only damage is the larger board and the bent metal. They want $25.92 plus shipping for that little piece of trim!! A good incentive to save it.

Equinox Toad
Old 07-02-2009, 08:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Slide vs. Anything

SLIDE WINS
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have searched the forum trying to find the thread explaining removing trim pieces that have double sided tape. Does anyone have a way without damaging the piece?

Equinox Toad
Old 07-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Just an idea! What if you took an old butter knife and bent it at a right angle and then heated it enough to melt through the two sided tape. Then slide it along the top or bottom edge of the moulding being careful not to touch the ceiling and burn thru it.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
I have searched the forum trying to find the thread explaining removing trim pieces that have double sided tape. Does anyone have a way without damaging the piece?
Sorry, didn't understand the question...

Answer....heat gun...(hi power hair dryer)
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Well got the MH out of storage today. I've been worrying about getting this thing apart. Glad to report it all went well. The trim came off very easily, and was able to get the metal straightened. Then I opened the tube that held the wrong part!! Tomorrow I hope to get the correct part ordered.

Equinox Toad
Old 07-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Got the correct part today. Very happy with the quick responce by the dealer, and Winnebago. We are back together and looking good!! Will make sure all is clear before opening or closing! Lesson Learned!!

Equinox Toad