Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2005, 01:47 PM   #1

I hate to keep this subject going, but the more I think about the roof seam problem the more I get upset. When I bought the motorhome there was no mention that, "Oh, yes! You will have to continue checking your roof seam for a poor seal."
Consequently, when I when in for an oil change and other little maintance trivia, my service man told me that your roof needs to be resealed. (2years after I bought it) In fact water had already started to penetrate the interior.It took a week to dry it out before they could reseal it. Cost - $360
I have never heard one word from Winebago about this problem and how one can "FIX IT!" for longer than a 2 year patch. I feel Winebago needs to have a recall and redo everyone's roof and make it good for the mistake the made in roof design that they passed off on all of us. I am not happy with the Eternabond solution simply because it is a bandaid approach and if anything has to be done after the fact that stuff is very hard to remove. NOW, if Winnebago comes out and says, "We are sorry for all the trouble we have caused you owners that have to constantly repair your roof seam and here is the solution: have your Winnebago dealer reseal that area with Eternabond, and we will pay to have it done. We have found that this is the best fix and will last for ? years.I might consider it.
I think there needs to be a class action suit brought against Winnebago on this "GROSS" oversight on their behalf.
If you buy a car with a sunroof that leaks. The dealer will fix that leak to the point that it won't leak again under your ownership. Same with the roof problem?
Do any lawyers own a Winnebago?
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:47 PM   #2

I hate to keep this subject going, but the more I think about the roof seam problem the more I get upset. When I bought the motorhome there was no mention that, "Oh, yes! You will have to continue checking your roof seam for a poor seal."
Consequently, when I when in for an oil change and other little maintance trivia, my service man told me that your roof needs to be resealed. (2years after I bought it) In fact water had already started to penetrate the interior.It took a week to dry it out before they could reseal it. Cost - $360
I have never heard one word from Winebago about this problem and how one can "FIX IT!" for longer than a 2 year patch. I feel Winebago needs to have a recall and redo everyone's roof and make it good for the mistake the made in roof design that they passed off on all of us. I am not happy with the Eternabond solution simply because it is a bandaid approach and if anything has to be done after the fact that stuff is very hard to remove. NOW, if Winnebago comes out and says, "We are sorry for all the trouble we have caused you owners that have to constantly repair your roof seam and here is the solution: have your Winnebago dealer reseal that area with Eternabond, and we will pay to have it done. We have found that this is the best fix and will last for ? years.I might consider it.
I think there needs to be a class action suit brought against Winnebago on this "GROSS" oversight on their behalf.
If you buy a car with a sunroof that leaks. The dealer will fix that leak to the point that it won't leak again under your ownership. Same with the roof problem?
Do any lawyers own a Winnebago?
Old 12-20-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You know, the older I get, the more carefully I pick the battles I want to fight. On this one, I just did the Eternabond. It was not difficult, looks fine, and (based on my research), will likely last as long as I have the coach.

I figured with as many folks who've noted this concern, if Winne hadn't done some sort of recall or redesigned the roof-to-sidewall seam, they were not likely to do anything if I raised the question.

So, IMO, either do the Eternabond and be done with it, or plan on having someone check and recaulk that seam every year or so.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

no18yes
Have to disagree with you a bit on this one. My Horizon manual states to inspect all roof seams every 6 months and reseal if needed..just like my Cat engine manual states to change oil every 12,000 miles and my Allison trans manual states to change the fluid every 24,000 miles and so forth. Just part of maintaining my mh. If I don't change fluids for 100,000 miles is it a poor design from Caterpillar or Allison if something blows ?
Winnebago has been using this roof design for years and still use it today. Check it every 6 months and reseal with the required caulk or Eternabond.
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I think the roof is of poor design. But the manual does state how often to check and repair. So as I see it Winnebago has covered the subject. IMHO, Eternabond is the best way to do a lasting fix. However for those that have full body paint, Eternabond may or may not be the fix. I have no idea if one could get matching paint to bond correctly to the Eternabond for as long as the Eternabond may last. My complaint with dealers checking the roof seams is many don't seem to understand how to check for a bad seam. You have to press on the roof along the seam to tell if the seam is open. A quick visual check will not do the job.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have the same problem. I check the roof on a regular basis, but I have to admit I am not an expert. After the last campout in November, I noticed a damp area around the skylight in the bathroom. I went up on the roof to look for brittle/broken caulk but everything "looked" ok. When I took it to the dealer, they verified the caulk was bad and needed to be re-done. I guess now the only choice will be to have the complete roof re-done. I have a 2003 Adventurer 33V.
Rick Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I'm not aware of any manufacturer that does not include some kind of inspection schedule for all seams and caulking in their required maintenance- some say once a year, some say monthly. I had one go as far as stating to remove all windows and reapply sealant every two years. Yeah like that's really going to happen.

Rick- You may want to take a close look at the skylight. There was an issue with a batch of skylights back in 2002 cracking and leaking. The subject was covered fairly well on this forum back then. I believe they were replaced under warranty.

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Paul:

I would agree that every rig needs periodic checking and maintenance. However, I just don't understand why Winnebago doesn't just redesign the roof edge...seems it would be fairly easy to overlap the side wall with 4"-6" of the roof which would make it nearly impossible for water to migrate into the sidewall. Many of the coaches I see seem to do just that.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Telling Winnebago anything is a lost cause. While they may listen at times and have treated me fairly, asking them to redesign something is like preaching to the choir.
If they don't know by now they have a problem with the roof seam they will never know. Of course their answer is if you follow our procedure you won't have a problem.
On rigs that don't have full body paint just use the Etrnabond and quit worrying. Its a great product and you will have no problems with it once its installed.

Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

For those with full body paint..Eternabond can be painted.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The market place has a way of adjusting for these things.

My last motor home was a Class C Mobile Traveler. It leaked but I'm told that I wasn't alone. All Mobile Travelers leaked. I removed and sealed every screw in the side walls and I sealed the roof every other year for twenty years. In the end I lost the battle to water damage. When I traded it in this summer the inside ceiling was coming down.

Mobile Traveler is out of business. That can happen to any manufacturer that gets a reputation for a bad design and a lack of customer support.

That said the question is "Has Winnebago lost the support of the buying public?" I believe the answer is "Not yet, but it could happen."

Now I have a Winnebago and I'm told Winnebago changed their roof design a few years back to correct for leaking problems. I guess I will find out over time but I hope I don't have to battle water as aggressively once again in my new coach.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

The skylight problem was an issue with Winnebago in 2001-2002. I had 3 replaced on my Itasca with in a year. Winnebago replaced them all under warranty. It turned out the skylight was not the culprit. It was the way they fastened them to the roof. They finally left some anchor screws out of the end of the skylight. That apparently allowed for better expansion and contraction, I have not had a problem since. I know of 7 other cases of the same thing.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:03 PM   #13

Thank you all for your input. Again it is frustrating to pay what you do for a motor home and you have to baby it like a new born, changing its diapers every time it "leaks." That is what my real beef is. You don't have to do that with a car or other vehicle, but a motor home, YES! I guess it is the American way and the all mighty dollar. They have mine so why admit anything after the thought. I will use Eternabond this summer and just bite the bullet and deal with it.
Thanks for listening.....
Old 12-30-2005, 10:18 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

last summer I purchased 2" eternabond tape to complete the roof task. When I went to do the job, I found that there is not enough roof under the seam between the wall and roof to make a difference with the eternabond. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a drip rail less than 1/2" from the suspect seam, and the lip of the drip rail does not allow a good application of the eternabond.

Being somewhat of an anal guy, i opted to remove the smeared silicone from the the last stealer (I mean dealer) fix, and re-calk. Looks good and is holding well. I agree with all this is a lousey design, but I love the rest of my motorhome. I next purchase will be a different manufacturer due to issues like the roof.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:45 PM   #15

FDchief, you bring up a very good point. I would like to hear from all these people as to how they did install their Eternabond, because there is not any room to lap that seam on the gutter side. The gutter is the seam for all practical purposes? Two inches is what everyone says to use but the two inches just goes on the roof and not over the seam?
Thanks for bringing that idea up.........
Old 12-31-2005, 02:31 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I have seen this same question about how much the Eternabond should lap the seam on several RV forums. From talking to Winnebago and owners of Winnebago MH's that have had roof separation problems at the seam I have come to this conclusion. The roof is glued on, the caulk in the seam does nothing more than stop water intrusion into the joint. The caulk is not a factor in holding the roof on the unit. Those I have talked with that have had some roof separation along the seam was caused because water entered the seam and caused problems. For that reason I see no need to have a wide coverage of the seam with the Eternabond as your only trying to keep water out of the seam. On our unit the top edge of the gutter is the seam. When I applied Eternabond to ours I cut the Eternabond in a one inch wide strip. Mine only laps about 1/2 way to the bottom of the gutter. In other words about a 1/2" on either side the seam.

As I have heard many owners say when I ask if they check there roof to sidewall seam. Oh yes I had the dealer check it or I have looked at it and it's ok. Many dealers and most owners don't know that only looking at the seam doesn't tell you if it is water tight. You have to press on the roof at the seam and this has to be done the full length of the MH on both sides to see if the caulk opens. If you can see the seam is open by looking you've waited to long and water has already done it's damage.

The other one I've heard is, I don't have any leaks I can see inside. If you wait to see water inside by that time the whole side the MH will be de-laminated.

To end up with a good and lasting Eternabond job is make sure the surface is clean before applying the Eternabond.

I'm sure their are others that may not share my opinion, so lets hear yours.

2000 Itasca 35U
Old 12-31-2005, 02:46 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

I for one wouldn't change a word in your statement. It is the way I see the problem. I used a two inch strip of eternabond, that makes little difference if any. I do think the factory should have spent a little bit of money to insure their customers received a good and lasting roof. Dropping out one piece of gingerbread glitz inside the coach would have paid for it.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:44 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I'm still hoping to hear from someone who has full body paint, although maybe the paint is protecting the sealant from breaking down. Can eternabond be applied over the paint, or are we going to have to remove the paint first?

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:47 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Here, a pictue supplied by Joe-K showing the Eternabond application. It works for me.

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/248609445...721067301#9721067301
Old 12-31-2005, 04:16 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Paul, I don't think there is any problem applying Eternabond over the paint. We have a metal roof on the house that is painted. The installers used Eternabond in a couple areas for extra protection against leaks. I've checked it on the house roof and the bond seems fine. The problem I'm not sure about in applying Eternabond to a full paint unit is if the matching paint used to cover the Eternabond will bond good to the tape. The expanding and contraction might cause the paint to peel. That might be a good question to ask the folks at Eternabond.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ppeter313:
I'm still hoping to hear from someone who has full body paint, although maybe the paint is protecting the sealant from breaking down. Can eternabond be applied over the paint, or are we going to have to remove the paint first?

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2000 Itasca 35U