Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2018, 12:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The leaky windows dilemma.

Who knows how long window caulk is good for? (a rhetorical question) My old cow has stood in a pasture without a run-in shed or barn for all of its 16+ years. You cannot tell by looking at the joint (but you can suspect) any more than you can see air coming out of a nail hole in a tire.

I read about a place in FL where you drive in and they pull the windows and reseal while you drink your R&W root beer. As they are too far away and likely overkill for this tired lady, I opted for a DIY 'workaround'; if you cannot stop water from getting past the seal — simply re-direct it away from....

Like a lot of interesting things, I found-n-forgot some reference either on Google or Youtube ...maybe here?

Called, Lok Drip Rail, it comes in white or black and many lengths. 25' took care of everything but the entry door window.
The only thing I found was - as a plastic - it likes to take a set and the only way to 'relieve' that set is with some heat. I used a heat gun 'till it naturally relaxed. Don't expect it to be straight, just softer. It took the radius pretty well!

I am not sure the top edges of the windows were leaking, but I am pretty sure they will not going forward. Cheers.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rain1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	473.7 KB
ID:	169664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rain2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	441.2 KB
ID:	169665  

Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Suncoast Designers in Hudson, FL. had 7-windows done there several years back on our previous motor home and were completely satisfied. we stayed two nights (night before work started and the next night as work stretched out to the next morning) with water and elec hookup. they've sinced either moved to a larger location or added space. there are other outfits around the country that provide the same service but I can attest that SD's does a great job.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Rich, For the rest of the folks who might view these posts 4 years from now ...I can imagine the bulk of the cost per window was in the labor, no? Roughly, how much per window? Thanks.

Jim
Old 06-02-2018, 02:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Rich, Sorry - 'forgot to say, it may have been a post you put up that caught my attention on the issue.

———————————————

I also meant to show why it needs some heat. Who knows how long it has been coiled; it now likes it that way.

It is available on eBay and W.W. Grainger for those that can bury it in a company P.O. (price is about the same)

Jim

http://www.grainger.com/product/48RL...180316151710:s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rain3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	687.7 KB
ID:	169666  
Old 06-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetstuff View Post
Rich, For the rest of the folks who might view these posts 4 years from now ...I can imagine the bulk of the cost per window was in the labor, no? Roughly, how much per window? Thanks.

Jim
jim, I looked up the repair bill and see that 7-windows ran just over $800. some of the windows were smaller and I recall they cut us a deal on those. we had the work done in november 2009. I want to say they charged ~$200 per window...something in that neighborhood. their website has more information. good luck.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Rich. That will be helpful for others making a similar decision. Cheers.

Jim
Old 06-17-2018, 08:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

My problem is a bit more intense. I have several windows that are fogging on between the glass or actually wet with dewdrops! Big buck fix.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Dr Fog in Searcy AR removed and repaired my fogged windows last year for about $200 per window, a little additional if the glass was too etched and they had to replace a pane. In and out same day.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
Dr Fog in Searcy AR removed and repaired my fogged windows last year for about $200 per window, a little additional if the glass was too etched and they had to replace a pane. In and out same day.

Great to know for folks out that way. We are in WA at this time. Will be a long while before we get back east. I think OR has some good shops to do this kind of work. I need to fill the cookie jar a bit more before we get the work done.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

We have a couple of windows beginning to fog, too. Right now it's just the window behind the sofa and the kitchen window, so no "driving" visibility is involved. (Though I'm sure we have that to look forward to.)
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Great to know for folks out that way. We are in WA at this time. Will be a long while before we get back east. I think OR has some good shops to do this kind of work. I need to fill the cookie jar a bit more before we get the work done.
Dave Root RV Glass Repair is based in Bend, Oregon. Can't speak to the quality of his work but it might be worth it to do some due diligence and a phone call.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:22 PM   #12

neub, I've good things about Dr. Fog.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
Dave Root RV Glass Repair is based in Bend, Oregon. Can't speak to the quality of his work but it might be worth it to do some due diligence and a phone call.

Thank you. I will check them out.

Tags
leak, window