Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-04-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Terrawagen Grab Handle install problem fix

Terrawagen grab handle install problem

Just installed this kit and found a problem that took some MacGyvering to make work.

Problem is simple, the 9mm drill bit included is too big and will make a hole the Nutsert/Rivnut insert will not bind in. The nutsert is designed to be forced into a tight metal hole, the ribs on the outside of the insert then grip the hole edge so that the bolt kit (included) can be threaded in and tightened down crushing the insert tight into the drilled hole. The bolt kit is then removed providing a tight, threaded insert ready to take the handle mounting screws.

The fix is simple and should work most of the time. That is to use an 11/32” drill bit. That makes a slightly smaller hole the ribs on the Nutsert can grab during the process of crushing the Nutsert into the hole which is what it’s designed to do. If the Nutsert spins in the hole it won’t seat. It’s supposed to crush tight into the hole and provide a threaded mount for the grab handle bolts. If it spins despite using the 11/32” bit use the method described below to get it mounted properly. If the Nutsert is loose don’t use it until it is tight and will not spin lose in the drilled hole, it must be tightly mounted in the hole for it to hold when the handle is used.

If you use the supplied 9mm bit (like I did on my first handle) here’s the work around:
If the insert doesn’t lodge in the drilled hole it will spin when attempting to tighten with the bolt kit and will not crush into but spin in the drilled hole making it useless. My solution/Macgyver fix was to find a nut that threaded on to the bolt kit, thread the bolt with nut and washer into the Nutsert until the bolt is flush and tighten the nut against the Nutsert on the bolt in the drilled hole to make the Nutsert crush tight into the hole as it needs to be making it a fixed thread mounted in the door pillar for the handle bolts. I also used thread lock on the mount bolts.

Pics are available but you'll have to email me, I'll send them back.
raytaylr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install