Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-25-2020, 10:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

suspension upgrades

Hi All
I'm wanting to make my 16 Adventurer 37F ride and drive better. So I'm thinking a steering damper and some sort of spring enhancement. Does anyone have a good steering stabilizer they recommend? The only one I see on E-trailer is the Roadmaster.
Also looking at Sumo springs and wondering if any of you guy's have installed them yourself. I've watched the videos online and it looks pretty easy assuming I can get the tires off.
I also kinda like these https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...16111699118083 as an alternative to the Sumo's for the rear axle. I pull a 2019 CR-V on a dolly so I'm wondering if the super springs would be more effective against sagging at the rear than the Sumo's.
Appreciate any insight or thoughts from the community.

Thanks
Scott

2016 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
scottybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
Site Team

My brother and I were able to install a rear track bar, sumo springs and front Bilstein shocks in his driveway. We had the steering stablizer done when we were getting an alignment. (Also swapped the Bilsteins out to Koni's when this word was done).

The Sumo Springs went in pretty easy with standard 18v battery tools (and a torque wrench) as did the track bar. The shocks we had to get a 1/2 in drive breaker bar to loosen/ tighten things up.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:48 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybee View Post
Hi All

I also kinda like these https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...16111699118083 as an alternative to the Sumo's for the rear axle. I pull a 2019 CR-V on a dolly so I'm wondering if the super springs would be more effective against sagging at the rear than the Sumo's.
Appreciate any insight or thoughts from the community.

Thanks
Scott
It seems like these are just helper leaf springs. If you're going to go that route you may just want to see the cost at a truck center to add a spring to the setup that you already have. It may be a bit cheaper to have that done over this one or Sumo Springs. On that long of a vehicle I'd also recommend a track bar or heavier rear anti-sway bar. That may help a lot with the handling back there (from truck push and tail-wag).
Old 08-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
It seems like these are just helper leaf springs. If you're going to go that route you may just want to see the cost at a truck center to add a spring to the setup that you already have. It may be a bit cheaper to have that done over this one or Sumo Springs. On that long of a vehicle I'd also recommend a track bar or heavier rear anti-sway bar. That may help a lot with the handling back there (from truck push and tail-wag).
Thanks Thom
Fortunately the previous owner did install front and rear anti sway bars.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #5
Site Team

We have a '17 Adventurer 37F.

We've installed a Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer, front and rear Sumo Springs, Roadmaster Rear Anti-roll bar and Koni FSD shocks all around. About $3500 all installed.

They've all helped. The steering stabilizer is a must have. The Sumo's.... I'm not sure if they help that much or just make the bumps harsher. The Rear Anti-Roll bar is good and it helps but the RV still tilts and tips, just not as much. The Koni's have helped a tiny bit, not enough to justify their cost.

In the end you're rolling down the road with a house sitting on a dump truck chassis. It's super durable. and can really handle a heavy load of loose gravel. But the ride isn't going to improve dramatically.

For about $12,000 you can replace the rear suspension with Liquid Spring's fluid system that removes the entire stock suspension and replaces it with pumps and compression fluid. But they don't have one yet for the front suspension.

Kelderman's used to add air bags to the rear leaf spring hangers for about $5000 but seems to have stopped offering that.

A friend of mine took off his Sumo Springs and installed air bags in their place but says that hasn't done the trick either.

I did all of my additions one at a time and I know with each addition I thought... "that's a little bit better" but it didn't add up to all that much better overall. The thing that helped the most was weighing the coach and lowering the Tire pressures down from the tire pressures on the placard next to the driver seat. We now run 85 psi in the front and 95 psi in the rear and that helped both ride and handling.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
I also kinda like these https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Sus...16111699118083 as an alternative to the Sumo's for the rear axle.
In general, the Adventurer or any motorhome on the F53 is not "under sprung" so I don't know what good these would do. But hey, everything is worth a try. I read the reviews and most were from folks that installed these on their pickup truck.

What Sumo Springs do, is add jounce control and body tilt control. They do that, but because they sit between your leaf springs and your chassis they increase the spring rate and this can add harshness on big bumps and bridge transitions.

The only thing we haven't added is the rear Track Bar. So, naturally it appeals to me because I've tried everything else.

You'll find people that swear by EVERY SINGLE suspension enhancement. They'll tell you Sumos or Konis or whatever totally fixed the issues. And maybe it did for them. I don't know.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:56 PM   #7
Site Team

The best and cheapest thing I did was get all four corners weighed and adjust the air in the front and back tires per manufacturers guidance. I would do that first before anything else, Otherwise, the track bar, sway bars, steering control, and Koni shocks helped.

In my case, where the rear axle was within 500 pounds of max weight, the Sumos made the rear bounce worse over big bumps, like Creativepart mentioned. I took off the rear Sumos and left the front, and the ride actually improved a bit.

At this point, I think I’m done tuning the suspension. I am much happier with the ride, and, besides, I don’t think there is anything left to try...after all, we are driving a truck using technology developed in the covered wagon days!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have to agree with the others. I think it's just a bad chassis design. Our's is a 22k F-53. First thing I did was swap out shocks to Koni's. Found them to be particularly harsh but helped in the sway department. Then Roadmaster steering stabilizer. That was really only because I was paranoid of a blowout. Probably don't need it. It requires a little more force to turn the wheel. The MH tracked straight when I got it and still does. Then new tires and rear track bar. Both seemed to help a little. This year I switched back to Bilstein's on the front (aftermarket) and did the CHF. Both were an improvement in bumps and sway. My biggest complaint is rough roads and crosswinds. Crosswinds blow me all over the place. Anything over 25 and I probably won't drive in it and forget about crossing a long bridge with those winds.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I had a 2018 FR 31L5 which is on a F53 chassis. It wasn't too bad on the highway but I along with help from my son and daughter installed the Sumo's all around along with a roadmaster steering stabilizer all in one day. It did improve the handling enough to say it wasn't a waste of money so I was happy with the change. The back was easy but the front was a bear to change out. I think 22.5 tires instead of the 19.5s that FR builds them with would make a big difference.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I had the front coil springs upgraded to heavier duty springs on my Winnebago Adventurer. This helped a lot and the coach looks better sitting higher (more level) on the front. It has the steering stabilizer and I replaced the steering damper. I have noticed it still seems like the tail is slowly wagging. I have purchased a Holiday Rambler diesel pusher motor home and I'm about ready to sell the Winnebago.

Enjoy your travels.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I had Helwig swaybars installed both front and back and I installed the Steer safe system. This made all the difference in the world with rocking back and forth and the Steer Safe took all the slop out of the steering linkage.

2016 Winnebago Sightseer 36Z
Towing 2016 GMC Terrain
E.J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

While making the deal on our 2020 Horizon, we included a steer bar. One of the best add-ons available today. Not sure any brand name really matters...but I do know that they improve the handling on the road. Especially in areas of deeper ruts from all the big truck traffic.
Sheilag1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I just installed a roadmaster steering stabilizer on my new (used) 2018 Forza 38W DP... only drive it about 60 miles to the dealer for some warranty work so didn't really notice much difference though i feel better if a blow out was to happen on the front I'm better off with it installed than not so no regrets, a small investment in safety can go a long way....
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:18 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for your insights. So I crawled under my coach to be sure of exactly what I have already. Looks like it has just the oem front and rear sway bars plus the Roadmaster rear track bar added. I think y'all have talked me out of the sumo springs. Makes sense that they would make the ride more harsh. I don't want that. I will definitely add the steering stabilizer. Seems like Roadmaster is about the only one out there. I want this mainly to help keep control in a blowout like some of you mentioned. Also I do get blown to the right a little by the semi's when they pass.
I'm gonna add the Roadmaster polyurethane bushing on the factory front and rear sway bars. Fairly cheap and should stiffen it up a little.
I am now considering air bags http://https://www.etrailer.com/Vehi...16111699118033 on the front axle instead of sumo's. I like the idea of being able to adjust them independently and increase or decrease air to suit the situation. Think I'll leave the rear alone other than the polyurethane bushings.
My coach doesn't handle all that bad as is, but I'd like to have better control and response in interstate traffic especially in busy large cities.
I'm also thinking about a set of these https://www.centramatic.com/wheel-ba...Number=700-728 wheel balancers.
Has anyone tried them?
I'm going to join Escapees and get a four corner weigh when we're in Texas for the winter.
Pretty sure I'll have it handling like a Porsche by next spring.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:37 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Pretty sure I'll have it handling like a Porsche by next spring.
Yea, then you can go on the race circuit. LOL I can say I've had my first good laugh of the day!!!

IN all seriousness, I'd like to hear how the airbags and the Centramatic's work. I've had a webpage open on my ipad for about 2 months to the Centramatic website.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:43 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
: I'd like to hear how the airbags and the Centramatic's work. I've had a webpage open on my ipad for about 2 months to the Centramatic website.
I heard about them from this guy. https://youtu.be/VvzQj-BnjVE

I'll probably get a set for the front and see if I like them then maybe add the rears later.

Old 11-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Well I have added the air bags to the front , the centramatic wheel balancers also only on the front. Added the steering stabilizer and the RM bushings to the OEM front anti sway bar. I have only taken it for one test ride so far maybe 30 miles. I so far am happy with all those upgrades. The steering felt great the body roll was noticeably lessened by the air bags and no vibration in the steering wheel from the tires, so I think the balancers helped also.

Now for the issue I've been trying to work out with Etrailer at first and now with Roadmaster. So just as a reminder the coach is a 2016 F-53 / 24,000 gvwr I have gone through 3 different kits for the rear sway bar bushings. The problem is the clamps to hold the bushing and the sway bar to the axle. The OEM bolts which thread into a weld nut on the axle have a 5/8" outside thread diameter. RM keeps sending me clamps that have a 17/32" hole for the bolt. So that's big enough for a 1/2" bolt.

So for any of you guys that have replaced the OEM sway bar with a RM. Did you use the OEM bolts to fasten it to the axle or do they possibly give you smaller bolts with a nut and you add the nut to the back of the factory weld nut?
To me it sure seems like RM should offer a clamp that would accept the 5/8" bolt.

Tags
suspension, upgrade