Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Have you installed a Safe Steer or equal
Yes I have 11 27.50%
No I haven't 27 67.50%
Undecided 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Suspension & safety Question

Hi all, I'm n my 2nd Winn, the first was a 89' super chief and now a 2012 Vista T with 4000 miles.

My question is sort of philosophical, Winnebago makes a real fine MH in my opinion, so why don't they offer a option of a Safe Steer or a multitude of many other items that supposedly increase the safety of driving them.

I'm a retired mechanical engineer and wonder what's Winnebago's official line or recommendation on all these suspension add ons.

I have a funny feeling about buying a MH that's worth over $100K and then spending $500+ to make it drive & handle better.

Bob in Ohio
Velroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Other than maybe the high end units, most RVers that I know buy a unit off the lot and I would think the marketing idea is to keep the price down as low as possible. I did three thousand in add on items and forgot to add on the valve extensions. The mechanic that I became friends dealing with the issues on the last piece of junk RV told me that they just finished an identical coach to mine that from top to bottom of the unit that there was $8K in add on items. That included from Traveler Satellite to front and rear suspension mods. If I'd been patient enough to order and wait, and could have gotten a better price, well, if a frogs had wings, he wouldn't bump his back sides when they jumped.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Which one would they install? Steer Safe, Safety Steer, True Center, etc... There's a lot of personal preference in that regard.
Now some manufactures such as Tiffin do install Track Bars front and rear as part of the standard offerings.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

When we ordered our present 2002 Dutch Star we added over $35,000 in options and changes. It all comes down to what buyers can afford.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Another thing to think about is that they don not make the chassis. Gas models are made by Ford and if Ford does not include it then they think you don't need it.
Remember you MH won't drive like your car, you are moving a house down the road.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

It came on the motorhome we have now when we bought it as a used unit
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We bought our coach used, and liked the way it handled. We did find when we eventually replaced to OEM shocks with new Koni's, that the handling improved considerably. I don't see any need for any further upgrade.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velroc View Post
Hi all, I'm n my 2nd Winn, the first was a 89' super chief and now a 2012 Vista T with 4000 miles.

My question is sort of philosophical, Winnebago makes a real fine MH in my opinion, so why don't they offer a option of a Safe Steer or a multitude of many other items that supposedly increase the safety of driving them.

I'm a retired mechanical engineer and wonder what's Winnebago's official line or recommendation on all these suspension add ons.

I have a funny feeling about buying a MH that's worth over $100K and then spending $500+ to make it drive & handle better.

Bob in Ohio
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "supposedly increase the safety. We're on our second Adventurer and haven't found the need to add a single "supposed" safety feature to either of them.

We drove the first one over 100,000 miles without any problems. We did change the shocks at 22,000 miles, but in those days shocks were considered a wear item and periodic replacement was standard.

It sorta comes down to how comfortable you feel driving the stock chassis. Since motor vehicles were invented aftermarket products have been promoted to increase safety, gas mileage, comfort, and a host of other supposed maladies. Some of these add-ons may have merit while others are pure snake oil.

Thousands of man hours go into the design and testing of these chassis before they hit the road. In todays climate of "sue everyone involved" no manufacturer would release an unsafe chassis and stay in business more than a few weeks.

Some of the aftermarket products may enhance the performance or give the operator a greater sense of security, but the bottom line is they're being sold by people who are trying to make money. If the enhancements they're selling were considered "necessary" the original manufacturer wouldn't be able to sell a chassis without them. They would be mandated by federal law, like seat belts, anti lock brakes, safety glass, etc., etc.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Hikerdogs said: " We did change the shocks at 22,000 miles, but in those days shocks were considered a wear item and periodic replacement was standard." That was true, and still is today. That 22,000 miles is IMO about standard for OEM shocks, on any vehicle, if the owners wants to retain good handling and consistent tire wear.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Hikerdogs said: " We did change the shocks at 22,000 miles, but in those days shocks were considered a wear item and periodic replacement was standard." That was true, and still is today. That 22,000 miles is IMO about standard for OEM shocks, on any vehicle, if the owners wants to retain good handling and consistent tire wear.
Since 2003 Ford has installed Bilstein Lifetime shocks on the F53 chassis. Even if they do go bad they will be replaced by Bilstein at no charge. The warranty is only for loss of dampening power. If the shock rubber mounts wear, or the shocks are physically damaged it's the customers responsibility.

There are other shocks on the market that have different ride qualities. Some may change out the originals for that reason.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Driving my 2012 Vista 30T was a white knuckle affair until I installed a set of Steer Safe. It doesn't drift nearly as bad now and the wind spill from passing trucks is almost negligible now. I am very happy with the product.
Okierambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I suppose it is dependent on what you are used to. I have driven tractors, snow plows, farm and lumber trucks for years and while the F53 driving position in the 35U took a little getting used to it was no white knuckle affair.

I just got bitten by a venomous spider this past Friday and was asked to rate on a scale of 1 to 10 the pain I was in. To me compared to getting hit by an inspection hatch blowing out on a 40 foot steam engine under pressure it was a 0.5 however to someone who's only stubbed their toe or gotten a papper cut it may have been a 9 or 10.

I am also comfortable riding 330 lb motobikes straight down the interstate at 75 mph on a rainy windy day while others would be white as a sheet and all over the road or possibly off the road alltogether.

Tags
safety, suspension