Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I did a search on this and there is a great deal of info. available but nothing on the following that I could find. I have been battling a small antifreeze leak since new. I found the hose clamp was loose coming off the back of the surge tank. Tighten it and no leak. Now, several months later more drops in the same place. Turned the clamp screw 1/4 turn more and pressure tested the system and no leak. I am afraid to torque it to much for fear of cracking the plastic nipple. I have this gut feeling that nipple has a crack and when it gets hots it expands causing the problem. So, in light of this feeling two questions.
1. For all of you who have either had a leak in these tanks has anyone had the tank crack at that nipple coming off the back of the tank? If so, besides replacing the tank, any quick fixes? I know some of you had leaks around the fill cap and these tanks are prone to problems.
2. In anticipation of replacing mine in the future has anyone actually done this themselves and not a dealer? How do those tanks come out? It looks like you have dissassemble a lot of parts just to get it out but maybe I am missing something. If you take it out from the rear, it appears the whole hydraulic tank must be removed first as well as that cross member right above it?
If you come out from inside it looks like the bed has to be taken apart at the very least?
3. I saw where John Canfield replaced his with a different tank. Has anyone had success with a this type of tank that John is using?
Thanks gang. 06 Meridian 300hp Cummins

UPDATE AND REVISED
Since no one responded to the original post let me give an update and another question that might be more generic for the situation. After tightening up the hose clamp on the hose that comes out the back of the surge tank I put the pressure tester on the system and pumped it up to 17pds. Cap is a 16 pounder. Let it sit that way for 30 hrs. Surprise to me was.....not one pound loss on the tester and no leaks. So, based on this would you concur that the system is good to go? I am I missing a link in the equation here?
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I did a search on this and there is a great deal of info. available but nothing on the following that I could find. I have been battling a small antifreeze leak since new. I found the hose clamp was loose coming off the back of the surge tank. Tighten it and no leak. Now, several months later more drops in the same place. Turned the clamp screw 1/4 turn more and pressure tested the system and no leak. I am afraid to torque it to much for fear of cracking the plastic nipple. I have this gut feeling that nipple has a crack and when it gets hots it expands causing the problem. So, in light of this feeling two questions.
1. For all of you who have either had a leak in these tanks has anyone had the tank crack at that nipple coming off the back of the tank? If so, besides replacing the tank, any quick fixes? I know some of you had leaks around the fill cap and these tanks are prone to problems.
2. In anticipation of replacing mine in the future has anyone actually done this themselves and not a dealer? How do those tanks come out? It looks like you have dissassemble a lot of parts just to get it out but maybe I am missing something. If you take it out from the rear, it appears the whole hydraulic tank must be removed first as well as that cross member right above it?
If you come out from inside it looks like the bed has to be taken apart at the very least?
3. I saw where John Canfield replaced his with a different tank. Has anyone had success with a this type of tank that John is using?
Thanks gang. 06 Meridian 300hp Cummins

UPDATE AND REVISED
Since no one responded to the original post let me give an update and another question that might be more generic for the situation. After tightening up the hose clamp on the hose that comes out the back of the surge tank I put the pressure tester on the system and pumped it up to 17pds. Cap is a 16 pounder. Let it sit that way for 30 hrs. Surprise to me was.....not one pound loss on the tester and no leaks. So, based on this would you concur that the system is good to go? I am I missing a link in the equation here?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:32 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Old 12-19-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hi FT - you are obviously a DIY type after doing your investigation and testing. My kind of guy - it is sometimes easier to fix things yourself than go through a dealer.

You might have cured your problem, or like you were wondering, the leak is heat related and it really isn't repaired.

Replacing the tank doesn't look like a big deal to me (at least on my coach) - mounting brackets need to be removed but that looks like the biggest challenge.

I would run your findings by Freightliner - you might indeed have a tank problem that will only get worse with age. They might suggest you take the coach to a Freightliner dealer and let a tech look it over - that happens to be my advice. Let them deal with the tank.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

fun time...what model coach and what year do you have?..my2002 36gd Journey has a small coolant leak I can't find.....Where is the nipple you are referring to located and can you get to it from the rear of the coach? thanks RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

John- Freightliner has been very good about this and offered to send a new one after I take a digital pic showing the leak. I don't have a problem with that. Our Freightliner dealer hates Motor Homes and will not work on them hence is why I do my own work. Actually, my hats off to Freightliner for all their help so far. Your right about removal. Looks like about a half hour job out and hour job back in. Where did you get your "custom tank" that you had installed and are you happy with it?

RKL-I have an 06 Meridian 300 Cummins. The nipple is located on the back side of the tank. You can get to it fairly easy under the bed. My bed is front to back. I don't know if you have the same set up but if you do you might check this nipple and hose. It leaks down the fan schroud then runs down to the bottom of the shroud and then on the ground. Look under your coach after it has run and see if the fluid is directly under the center of the fan schroud. I hope that helps answer your questions. Thanks guys for your help.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

fun time..thanks for the info...RKL
Old 12-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

fun time..onemore question...How does the coolant flow from the surge tank and get into the radiator? If the coolant flows out the surge tank via the nipple and hose (how big is the hose) how does it attach to the radiator....thanks RKL
Old 12-19-2007, 03:57 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

RKL- I wish I new for sure the answer to your question so here is what I think happens.....It flows from the back of the tank through the hose which is about 1/2 to 5/8 in diameter. It then looks like it goes to a cooler (maybe oil cooler) then out to radiator but please don't go to the bank on my answer. FYI, I know this hose is where my leak is as I can see where is has dripped. In one year I have never had to fill the tank so the leak is very small but very annoying. No leak it good.
Let me know what you find out on yours.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

fun time..thanks again...when I get back to Fla. I will check mine and let you know,,,RKL
Old 12-20-2007, 03:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fun time:
John- Freightliner has been very good about this and offered to send a new one after I take a digital pic showing the leak. I don't have a problem with that. Our Freightliner dealer hates Motor Homes and will not work on them hence is why I do my own work. Actually, my hats off to Freightliner for all their help so far. Your right about removal. Looks like about a half hour job out and hour job back in. Where did you get your "custom tank" that you had installed and are you happy with it?--snip-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yup - techs run when they see a motorhome drive in -- that's why we pay 20 or 30 bucks more an hour for their time than if we had a truck!

My new surge tank is from a Century Class Freightliner truck. The change was approved by the factory. The big problem now is I can't unscrew the fill cap and add fluid since the cap is now on the top and not the side like the original. I'll have to use a small bilge pump if I need to add fluid. This is an acceptable situation since I never needed to add fluid anyway.

You can see a picture of the new tank in a post of mine - do a forum search for the thread.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote