Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sunstar backup camera won't show on display

Greetings,
I have a 2018 Class A Sunstar LX that came with a horrible backup camera. I replaced it with a another but when the backup camera wouldn't show on my 8" display (left and right blinkers do just not the backup camera) I decided to replace the original camera. There are 4 wires and they're all connected but I still see a blank screen in my display for the backup camera.

Any ideas why it's not showing? There are only 4 wires in the wiring connect, and 4 on the camera. I just connected all the same colors but still the RV display won't show the original backup camera. All it says is "No Signal."

Any suggestions?

Lisa
LisasRVExp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisasRVExp View Post
Greetings,
I have a 2018 Class A Sunstar LX that came with a horrible backup camera. I replaced it with a another but when the backup camera wouldn't show on my 8" display (left and right blinkers do just not the backup camera) I decided to replace the original camera. There are 4 wires and they're all connected but I still see a blank screen in my display for the backup camera.

Any ideas why it's not showing? There are only 4 wires in the wiring connect, and 4 on the camera. I just connected all the same colors but still the RV display won't show the original backup camera. All it says is "No Signal."

Any suggestions?

Lisa
I have a Sunstar but I get a tad confused reading your problem?

You start by saying "Sunstar backup camera won't show on display"

But then you say your Original Sunstar camera was horrible so you bought another one. If so; what camera you have now that is not showing on display? Is it Sunstar, or some other brand?

I would be curious to know what was wrong with the original camera for you to call it so horrible? It either worked or it didn't; if it worked are you saying the quality was NOT to your liking?

Then you could cover what is your concern with your new I am going to assume an aftermarket Backup Camera? You could start with the model of what you have now? Who installed what you have now? Did it work and then just go out?

A wild guess with lots of assumptions is that you may have bad Switcher that is not working?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Some things I might try:
One is to try the old camera to see if it still does the job. As mentioned it could be a different part which was making it bad and that part may have now stopped working to leave nothing.
Two is always a question if we change brands and have to ask if the new camera uses the same color codes as the old. As far as I know there is not a major list controlling the colors, so one guy may have a different idea than another, leaving us to try to find the
use of each wire on the old and new so we can match the wire use, even if the colors don't match.
Is there any certainly that the new camera specs meet what the existing items require?
Not a big camera guy, so that is just a question I might wonder about!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Let's make this simpler, I had a factory installed backup camera, I couldn't tell shadows from trees, so I removed it. Now I want to replace the original backup camera but when I connect the same 4-wire connection all I see on my monitor display in the RV is "No signal." This shouldn't be that hard but I'm at a loss as to why the camera isn't showing on the monitor. Help...
Old 11-20-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The old camera is what's hooked up now and I'm getting the "No Signal" on the monitor. Forget the new camera in this problem, it just adds questions that aren't important, my mistake on over explaining.

The wiring was an easy 4-wire setup, color coded. I matched all the colors and still "No Signal" grrrr, very annoying. Other ideas?

Lisa
Old 11-20-2020, 10:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Right! You now have the old camera connected back, wiring matched to what was there but it no longer gives any signal?
Two thoughts. One would be to make sure there is not some little thing like one of the wires being a bit corroded to not make contact, so unplugging/replugging each a few times "may" clear that idea?
Second is if there would be some type of "mismatch in the monitor and the cameras that might be cleared if you turn it all off and back on to kind of do a rest if there is such a thing?
Old 11-20-2020, 10:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Richard, I spiced the wire back twice and that made no changes, I think the wiring is ok, and nothing is touching, I've even wrapped each of the 4 wire connections. I'm not sure how to turn off and on the camera, I would have thought that each time I disconnect all 4 wires that would do a reset. I'm just at a loss. I'm going to climb up there and see if there's little reset pin in the camera but I doubt it, because then water could get in there. It's just annoying ....
Old 11-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

No, would not expect a reset there, either but had in mind more like turning the monitor and whole system off by shutting down the engine, etc. or testing to see if the other two cameras are still working okay. Are they the type which come on when you signal a turn?
My only thought was to kind of Jar it's little brain by powering down and back up. Like it works for computer things at time?
Sorry, no good ideas here!
Old 11-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

What you are now describing sounds like one of my warranty items I had fixed on my Sunstar this year. In my case it was intermittent at first as screen would go black no signal, but the left & right cameras would come on.

Winnebago in trying to fix the problem initially tried all of things involving wiring contact etc. as Morich has mentioned and you have tried.

The problem did not go away and eventually the rear camera would not come on at all. They then replaced the Switcher under warranty. It has worked flawless every since; it does not even flicker on bumps.

As far as quality.... We may have different cameras as mine is 2019; but I have not noticed a problem with quality of rear camera itself unless you are referring to at night? I recall once we were backing in a new campsite at night, it was dark but before I could really try on my own we had a couple come out to help us I didn't have heart to say I wish to practice I will have to try again at night sometimes to see perhaps the same horrible view that you may be seeing?

Good luck and thanks very much for clarifying, I see clearly now, pun is intended
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 09:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Camera System

NOT YOUR PROBLEM, Just a FYI to others. Hope your problem is resolved, HOWEVER, careful relying upon color coding! Upgraded my rear camera to obtain better sound and night vision, different brand, same # wires, same colors, 6 pin connector. The manufacturer's state "proprietary circuit", means each manufacturer may switch the function of similarly colored wires. Took some research to corelate "FUNCTION" and rewire coach receiver to match new camera circuit. Rear View Safety actually offers some adapters permitting other brand camera installation interface on major brands without changing monitor.
Retired FF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera