Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Have been considering a sun screen for the front window and looked at Prompt RV which goes on the outside and one that goes on the inside from RV Quick shade or 3T's RV products. Does any one have experience with either of these?
sightseers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have the Prompt RV sunscreen and I love it. Goes up in about 45 seconds and comes down even faster. No snaps to deal with is nice. Blocks the sun's rays very effectively and doesn't require a ladder to install. During the day I can see out but others can't see in. Highly recommended.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I second the Prompt Sunscreen; Bob pretty much covered why I'd recommend them. Of course, we love ours too!

~Lori
Doula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

We have the Prompt shade ... I really enjoy the cooler temperatures when facing the sun ... and the privacy during the day ...

The suction cups "wear out" after a time ... I bought extra ... they worked for awhile ... I have formed a hook around one of my door hinges ... now the shade stays up without worrying about suction cup coming loose
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:17 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I would recommend a sun screen that fits on the outside of the window. It is better to block the sun on the outside of the window than on the inside. The heat gets into the rig more with inside shades. Another consideration is the percentage of sun blocking. The shades range from 80% to 95%. Obviously the higher percentage blocks more of the sun's heat.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have this one and are very pleased. It too is easy up, easy down and provides excellent blocking of the sun uv-rays and heat.

http://www.sunandcomfort.com/p1.html
Old 02-17-2009, 03:48 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I too like my Prompt Sunscreen for what it does but also like SkiGramp, my suction cup has worn out about every 11-12 months. I'm on my third now. I also have a very noticable wrinkle in the sunscreen right across the middle of the windshield. At one rally Prompt took it back to their factory to fix it but returned it to me exactly the way it was. I have seen many that are perfectly smooth but not mine. It may just be a trait on the curvature of my Dutch Star windshield.

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I also vote for Prompt sunscreen. On my first RV had one you used swivel snaps on. A real PITA. Prompt is quick and easy, no ladder, and does a great job of shielding out the sun. They make'em for the side windows also. Don't have those but probably equally as good.
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Unlike the others I will recommend RV Quick Shades www.rvquickshades.com. They go on the inside with suction cups, we have had ours for over a year and no problems. We ordered the panashade even though we have the split front window and had enough extra to do the small slide out windows as well. I would have hated using the Prompts this weekend as it was very rainy here in FL and when we left the rig was wet. With the RV Quick shades I popped them off rolled them up and stored next to bed on floor where they reside while not in use. They were dry while I bet those Prompts would not have been. Also this gives DH and I more equal chores. If I ordered the outside stuff that would be more on him to take care of, don't think he would like that too much.
We recently looked at MCD's power shades for the rest of the coach and the RV Quick shades people asked me if I opened the windows a lot. I said no as it usually is too hot in FL to do that. He told me to pop off the screens and then I could use the RVQuickShades on those windows too. Guess what...he saved me about $700.00 for that advice because now I can use them all over my rig....YEAH!
we3peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:44 AM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

My preference is for the Prompt Sunscreen. They make an entire product like that is based on their exclusive patent. There are no holes to drill or ladders to setup. Normally all you have to do is, clip one side of the windshield screen, roll it our from left to right (depending) and clip the other side. The side panels go over the windows and then the wiper, mirror and tire covers finish the setup.

I agree that it is more important to prevent the sun from coming through the windshield in the first place rather than dealing with it after it comes through the glass.

With he Prompts in place I can also open my side widows for a breath of fresh air. Prompts are heavy duty vinyl material and do not abosrb water or stay wet for long. You can ride'm hard and put em away wet if you have to.

I know Bill Rex and if you call him he will treat you just like family. Don't forget to tell him you're an iRV2.com member. You may get a "FREE" screen carry bag.

Call (877) 965-1533 and ask for Bill.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I also have the Prompt sunscreen. I loved the one on my Adventurer I had for years without any problem but this one I have on my Journey has been a problem child.

Like Wayne I have a large wrinkle across the top I haven't been able to get rid of. I spoke to them at an RV show and was told to move the suction cups up farther on the metal stay. I moved them up one hole which did not help. I haven't changed it again but have thought about adding a second suction cup to each side.

I do like these screens and while I think the inside ones would help some they aren't nearly as good in blocking heat as one on the outside of the windshield. I am not a fan of the suction cups though. Mine come loose periodically since new. One was replaced shortly after I purchased it.

Prompt has good customer service and I wouldn't hesitate recommending them even with the problems I've had with my current screen.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I also am a "Prompt" supporter for all of the above stated reasons.
The ease of installing and removing is a favorite.

Once parked in a CG we had a friend in the site next to us and he was amazed at how fast we installed the windshield and side windows.
He then got out his ladder so he could install his screens. The top snaps were tough to get as it was a little cool and the material had contracted. Not to mention moving the ladder 3 times
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Curious how the Prompt system, with suction cups, stays on in heavy winds? Anyone ever have theirs blow off or come loose?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I am currently in FL south of Orlando where a calm day has been breezy. We are sort of out in the open and most days it has been too windy to sit out comfortably for me. Many days the awning has retracted from constant winds and many others I have closed it because I wasn't comfortable with it flapping so much. The sunscreen has held tight. It even has a big sag in it I can't get out but it has held.

I've had it come loose several times though. Early on I had a bad suction cup even though it was new. They sent me another quickly. Seems to me the suction cups have more of a tendency to come loose when it is really hot outside and that plastic gets softer. That's MHO.

They do tell you to make sure the area you are placing the suction cup is clean.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I've had Prompt Screen in the past, but changed over to the outside MCD screens. I like them alot better. They do have a few snaps on them, but fit much better and have a better UV protective material. They are also adjustable to make them fit better. The price was about the same.
I did not like the way the Prompt Screens fit. Very loose!
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

We like our inside roll-up MCD screens very much (did not have them yet in the little pic to the left). They were easy to do the original install, are very simple and easy to use, and they block a significant amount of heat. I have not seen anyone put the one-piece inside screen in place. On some coaches, it may be simple, but with our large dash and driver surround, and the large amount of glass behind the overhead cabinets, I can imagine it would not be easy on our coach!
Old 02-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: How do these things make out with rain, snow, wind? Can they be left in place when westher comes along? I would think snaps would be more resistant, but maybe they cannot stand the rain and snow?

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

I have had my Prompt sunscreen for about 5 years now. I spend 2 1/2 to 3 months in Southern California each year ... I put them up the day I arrive ... and take them down the day that I leave ...

I don't know about snow ... but neither rain, wind, or hail has caused them to come down ...

The screen itself does not seem to get dirty ... I do rinse them off about once or twice a year with a hose ... the run-off from the roof leaves some streaks but they disappear ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:23 AM   #19
paz
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally posted by afrank1971:
Curious how the Prompt system, with suction cups, stays on in heavy winds? Anyone ever have theirs blow off or come loose?
We had Prompt Sunscreens on our Allegro Bay. The main sunscreen was held on by rubber straps and was very secure. The screens for the side windows hooked onto the front screen on one end and were held by suction cups on the end toward the rear. The side screens stayed on in the wind fairly well, but they sometimes fell off when they got heavy with rain. This happened more frequently as the suction cups got older. When we replaced the suction cups ($1 each), all was well.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I met the owner in Tampa at the RV show - great guy and super family man. Received my screen two weeks after ordered (as promised). Will re-order when needed and recommend this product to my RV club.

Phil