Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Stuck, stupid, or is there a trick?

Did you ever get to a place where something is so insanely simple that you hate to ask but still can't figure it out?
Okay, I'm there! I want to look at the fuses while I'm here at home and not at all busy but I am apparently missing something as I can't get the cover open!!!
This is the power distribution box on a 2015 winnebago Vista 31KE mounted on a E450 Ford chassis and I assume the box is part of the standard chassis wiring.
Can some of you folks who have done this let me know what I'm missing? It is labeled "pull" and believe me, I've pulled, pushed, and even pried until I thought it was near breaking but I can't find any clips, latches, etc. that will let it move.
Tell me a secret or call me stupid but right now I'll settle for any good ideas on how to open this sweet little thing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power boxRV.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	170626   Click image for larger version

Name:	power box RV-2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	170627  

Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There's a release tab on the right side that you get a finger under and lift out from the side, its been a while but I believe it's on the side beneath the arrow. The pin on the left side is part of the hinge that the rotates up and out on.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
There's a release tab on the right side that you get a finger under and lift out from the side, its been a while but I believe it's on the side beneath the arrow. The pin on the left side is part of the hinge that the rotates up and out on.
Totally correct!!
I felt like there was something I was missing and it was likely to be so simple but I was still missing it. The main problem was I could read but not understand when they put "pull" on the cover! I thought of pulling the cover, not reaching down the side which I can't see and finding the latch.
Pull the latch, swing the cover out and it's all very simple. Thank you for spelling it out for me.
Life's so simple---once we get the cover off?
Old 11-27-2018, 05:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Don't feel bad, it took me something along the lines of 'forever' to figure out how to open mine like that. You KNOW it has to be really simple, but there is more to it than just pulling.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Many things are done by folks who totally understand the item and it would actually be better if it were run by somebody who has never seen it before? Like if they had swapped the groups of arrows for one arrow and said "pull latch", I would have spotted it much quicker. I felt pretty dumb to have to ask but it is something I've learned to live with.
You should have seen me when I was looking for the "hamburger file" on a computer forum!!
Old 11-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Wannabe

Thanks everyone....I attempted to open the darn thing one time just to see what was inside. Now I'll make sure someone is watching next time. They'll think I'm an expert.
😜 😜
Old 11-27-2018, 05:20 PM   #7
Just Trying to Help

Morich-

Your Vista is built on the Ford F-53 chassis, not the E-450 chassis. The F-53 is designed for a Class A motorhome. The E-450 is a van chassis; for motorhomes you will almost always find them beneath a Class C motorhome.

There are significant differences between the two chassis.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Morich-

Your Vista is built on the Ford F-53 chassis, not the E-450 chassis. The F-53 is designed for a Class A motorhome. The E-450 is a van chassis; for motorhomes you will almost always find them beneath a Class C motorhome.

There are significant differences between the two chassis.
Still getting to know this rig. Checking closer and find you are correct! So far I've not been replacing anything on the chassis or that might have been a problem!
Old 11-30-2018, 01:10 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

This sucker also took me about a half hour to figure out. Dumb design, even dumber signage on the thing...
Old 12-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Don't feel bad, it took me something along the lines of 'forever' to figure out how to open mine like that. You KNOW it has to be really simple, but there is more to it than just pulling.

Therein lies the problem. Many years ago I read where instructions were written for 6th grade level. We are not 6th graders! Kinda like the pictographs on everything on vehicle controls. The air filter on GM autos/pickups have that same "simple" attachment.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
You should have seen me when I was looking for the "hamburger file" on a computer forum!!
I'd never heard of the "hamburger icon" until last week when Dad asked for help with some help instructions, though I've been using it for years.
n0ukf is offline   Reply With Quote