Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

We recently had a verrrrrrry slow retracting left rear jack and I was just about at my wits end trying to figure out what to do about it so I gave it the easiest remedy that I had available.

The straw if you will was a constant jack down alarm which we enjoyed for a few miles until we reached a rest stop on the highway. Ding-ding-ding-ding etc.

I turned the jacks "ON" and raised the MH all the way on the rears (on a level surface). I went and got my can of silicone spray and gave the piston a bath. I then pushed the store button and the jacks started to come up and even with this initial shot of silicone the jack came up but stopped short of home plate.

With the jacks still in "Store" mode I made my way under the motorhome and physically shoved the jack up by hand until it went all the way in.

The alarm went out! Ta-Da! Best of all Colleen was happy!

Subsequently and since the left rear jack has been going up quite well without any problems. SO if you find yourself in the same predicament consider a silicone bath and a shove.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:39 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

We recently had a verrrrrrry slow retracting left rear jack and I was just about at my wits end trying to figure out what to do about it so I gave it the easiest remedy that I had available.

The straw if you will was a constant jack down alarm which we enjoyed for a few miles until we reached a rest stop on the highway. Ding-ding-ding-ding etc.

I turned the jacks "ON" and raised the MH all the way on the rears (on a level surface). I went and got my can of silicone spray and gave the piston a bath. I then pushed the store button and the jacks started to come up and even with this initial shot of silicone the jack came up but stopped short of home plate.

With the jacks still in "Store" mode I made my way under the motorhome and physically shoved the jack up by hand until it went all the way in.

The alarm went out! Ta-Da! Best of all Colleen was happy!

Subsequently and since the left rear jack has been going up quite well without any problems. SO if you find yourself in the same predicament consider a silicone bath and a shove.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Sept. of '05 we were in the area of the Grand Canyon and my RR jack was taking 15 minutes to retract. Thought it may be the altitude, but that didn't make sense to me, after all. Got a 2 by 4 and a block of wood for a fulcrum and simply applied light pressure to help it up in 3 instances. Didn't spray or clean it and has not done that ever again !?!
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:56 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ding-a-ling:
.... simply applied light pressure to help it up in 3 instances. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ya just gotta love that Archimedes guy, Give me the right lever and I'll move the world!
Old 11-25-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had the problem with my jacks & it seems to be caused by the slides. I put my slides out & in a couple of times & the jacks retracted OK.
On my 2001 Adventurer I used to get a jack down alarm driving down the highway. I just kept driving & turn on the jack panel. Hit the "store" button. The alarm would go off. I wouldn't have to stop & put the emergency brake.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If the jack does not go all the way up just run it back down then up again. They are self lubricating when used.

Had to do this last year after I had them down for a few months. Now when I'm parked with jacks down for more than a month I'll run them up then back down when I do the monthly exercise for the engine and generator.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We had a slow retracting (LR) jack, with some other problems. We were going past the HWH factory on the way home; so I called and they were waiting for us. Very nice people. They cleaned the jack with WD40 and the lubed it with Vasoline. It worked OK for a while.

Last year on our way south the RF stopped working... called HWH. They said the slow working LR caused the RF selenoid to die. As we were staing in one spote I used a bottle jack in the front.

When we got home Flagg RV (MA) coordinated with HWH. they replaced the LR jack, all the springs and all the selenoids

The moral is slow retraction can damage selenoids.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:21 AM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cousin Ed:
The moral is slow retraction can damage selenoids. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>... and thank you for that.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We too have had a slow retraction problem, with the rr and we use our portable step as the fulcrum and a hunk of 2X6 about 6 feet long that was laying on the ground in the parking lot in NC where we were stopped due to the alarm having come on.
Needless to say, the 6 ft. 2X6 has a place of honor in the cellar.
I spoke with HWH but their suggested fix didn't clear the trouble.(Run it down & up a few times). Some days it goes up great and then next time it takes more than 5 Min. and I don't want to burn out a selenoid so I pry it up.
Great advertisement for a Journey DL. Out there with a junk chunk of wood making things work!!!!!
I will say that HWH is a great company with excellent service but occasionally the product takes command!

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

My unit was not even one and half year old that I had to replace the springs on all four jacks and one defective jack. The springs did not go back all the way at once. One of the rear jack would not fully retract and had to be manually pushed in with a 2 x 4. I called HWH and talked to Steve who had me check for a defective jack by disconnecting the hydraulic line and pushing the jack piston by hand inside the jack. The jack retracted without any problem so the springs were determined to be bad. HWH sent me a set of spring which arrived within one week by UPS. I installed the new springs and no more problem. A few months later, I started to have the same problem with the other rear jack. Once again, I called HWH and upon checking the jack, determined that the springs were bad. HWH sent me another set of springs. A few moths later, it was the turn of the front jacks to go bad - not being able to fully retract. I called Steve at HWH and dtermined that the front springs were bad and that one front jack was defective. Within 10 days I received the springs and one jack. It took one hour to complete the job and everything work perfectly.

I am really impressed by the service received by HWH and especially by Steve. Don't hesitate to contact them for assistance with the HWH Leveling System.
Gaetan Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:23 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The straw if you will was a constant jack down alarm which we enjoyed for a few miles until we reached a rest stop on the highway. Ding-ding-ding-ding etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

By accident I found out that you don't have to stop to do this. We sometimes get the dinging. I used to stop and retract and it was always just a tiny retraction. Once we were where we could not stop for a long time. Assuming you can safely glance down to turn on the control panel, all you have to do is push "store" and it'll fully retract while in motion. Had to do this several times.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:17 AM   #12
abn
Winnebago Camper

Sort of on topic....

I had the leveler extended alarm go off once on a hot summer day after having driven a good distance. While driving, I turned the unit ON, hit STORE and then back OFF when the alarm went off.

Once we reached our destination, I dug into the documentation for the levelers and found that heat will cause expansion of the fluid. The result is one or more of the jacks may extend slightly. Enough to set off the alarm. The solution is to simply press the STORE button but not to then turn the unit OFF. Should expansion then happen, the unit will automatically reject the jack.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:17 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgique:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The straw if you will was a constant jack down alarm which we enjoyed for a few miles until we reached a rest stop on the highway. Ding-ding-ding-ding etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

By accident I found out that you don't have to stop to do this. We sometimes get the dinging. I used to stop and retract and it was always just a tiny retraction. Once we were where we could not stop for a long time. Assuming you can safely glance down to turn on the control panel, all you have to do is push "store" and it'll fully retract while in motion. Had to do this several times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The biggest cause of alarms while traveling is that the system was not allowed to cycle. When you retract the jacks by hitting "store", you need to let the power stay to the system for approx. 2 mins. after the jacks have retracted. This allows the system to cycle. You will know when the cycling has been completed, cause the store light will go off.
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:57 AM   #14
PDB
Winnebago Camper

My LR jack has ALWAYS been slow so I've made it a habit to spray silicone on the ram about once a month. Problem goes away.
Incidently, when the coach was new I was at a rally and HWH was there, they replaced the jack for no charge, but nothing changed.
Silicone spray. Oh yeah, when I was at the factory, they said to use baby powder, but I don't care to crawl under and do that when a spray can will reach.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:41 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Funny that this thread should show up.

We found yesterday on our way home that the
Light and Ding-Ding-Ding showed our LR jack
light. Hit the STORE button and all was well.
For another 20 miles. It repeated itself again
a few more times during the journey. Pulling into the home park we had one more incident but
the RF was showing extend.

I will break out the WD this weekend.

Thanks for the tip, guys.

New Port Richey, FL
NR4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I had the RR jack go bad (slow retracting). The silicone bath worked for a while but then the jack would go back to slowly retracting. HWH sent me new stronger springs, but that did not improve the situation. Finally HWH shipped me a new jack. No problem since.

Pete B is offline   Reply With Quote