Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2006, 04:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We have an A&E 86101CQ awning over the top of our LR slide on a Sightseer. The awning is now sticking to the side of the slide when the slide is extended. It sticks so hard, the slide stops extending. If I grab the awning roller at one end and pull, the awning roller moves away from the awning slide and the slide extends normally. In trying to diagnose this problem, I noticed the bracket that connects to the awning roller on top and fits into a hexagonal extension tube on the bottom seems to have a lot of play where it joins the extension tube. The bracket is rivited to the tube (rivet in good condition) but there is still enough play in the bracket/tube junction that the awning roller has about 3/4" of play between being pressed up against the slide side or being held away from the slide.

Has anyone experienced this before? I asked on RV.NET but no one there had seen this problem.

I'm thinking that there should be at least 1/4" gap between the topper awning wrapped around its roller (slide in) and the edge of the slide itself. Mine, the gap is 0.0" which I think is the problem.

Any ideas of what to try next?
Old 07-31-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have an A&E 86101CQ awning over the top of our LR slide on a Sightseer. The awning is now sticking to the side of the slide when the slide is extended. It sticks so hard, the slide stops extending. If I grab the awning roller at one end and pull, the awning roller moves away from the awning slide and the slide extends normally. In trying to diagnose this problem, I noticed the bracket that connects to the awning roller on top and fits into a hexagonal extension tube on the bottom seems to have a lot of play where it joins the extension tube. The bracket is rivited to the tube (rivet in good condition) but there is still enough play in the bracket/tube junction that the awning roller has about 3/4" of play between being pressed up against the slide side or being held away from the slide.

Has anyone experienced this before? I asked on RV.NET but no one there had seen this problem.

I'm thinking that there should be at least 1/4" gap between the topper awning wrapped around its roller (slide in) and the edge of the slide itself. Mine, the gap is 0.0" which I think is the problem.

Any ideas of what to try next?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:44 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The bracket is rivited to the tube (rivet in good condition) but there is still enough play in the bracket/tube junction that the awning roller has about 3/4" of play between being pressed up against the slide side or being held away from the slide. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you found the problem. My slide awning does not have this "play". I'm thinking it puts the awning in a bind when it's supposed to unwind.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I'm a bit lost in your description, but it sounds a lot like an issue my mom's '99 Adventurer has. Both the end caps on the roller tube had gone bad. The center hole that the roller rotates on had worn to about a 3/4" elongated hole.

You CAN buy just the end caps. Lot's of folks will tell you you can't. Mom's got the part numbers for hers. Both end use the same part, the end with the anti-billow device needs a couple holes drilled in it. There's black, silver, and white. Mom's are silver, I'll gethe part number from her and add it here, if that helps.

That is, IF that's what's happened to yours.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Just found your post at the other place.

I think I follow your desription now, different issue.

But I can tell you on mom's '99, that hex joint is quite tight. Her's happens to have a screw, not a rivet, but it's quite snug even without the screw.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Alfred - Funny you should mention this at this time. I just had to remove my LR slide topper a couple of weeks ago. It apparently bound up during extension and those good old HWH hydralics just kept on pushing out. Before I knew anything was wrong, the brackets bent and the topper was sitting on top of the slide! Had no choice but to remove the topper and discard it. I wouldn't have been able to close the slide. The brackets were badly bent and some of the fabric was mangled.

I suspect the 'play' you are seeing is the result of the stress of trying to extend. Those brackets must be fairly soft (based on how easily mine bent) and would deform inside the mounting plates.

I've been surprised at how little the topper is needed. I've been going up a ladder and checking the top of the slide before I retract it and so far I haven't had to remove/clean anything. Will replace it when we get home from this trip, but so far we're getting by fine without it.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:14 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Tom, if you're ever in a leafy environment you'll be glad you had that topper as all that stuff would then be in your rig...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote