Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I need some input. I have 32k Vista. To Store my RV from DEC to April it cost around $320 per year. Its in a garage at a local car dealer. I will mention I live in central PA. Should I continue this or go the less expensive route and buy a cover. Just would like some thoughts, china3
china3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I need some input. I have 32k Vista. To Store my RV from DEC to April it cost around $320 per year. Its in a garage at a local car dealer. I will mention I live in central PA. Should I continue this or go the less expensive route and buy a cover. Just would like some thoughts, china3
china3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

WOW, that's a pretty good deal. Here in San Diego, charges range from $60.00 a month (military bases) to $200.00 FOR OUTSIDE STORAGE!!!

I can't imagine what it would cost here for inside storage.

I would leave it right where it's at.

David
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: We have been storing our MH in a heated space where they have the county fair in the fall at about the same price you mention. Last year I decided that a cover would be a better buy, but have changed my mind after just one winter. The cover is about 2 feet longer than the MH, so we just folded the end over and used the ropes which they supply to tie it down. The ropes aren't very weather resistant and broke allowing the cover to flap in the wind and resulting in a large tear.

The rear question is whether you need (or want) access during the time it is stored. Keeping the batteries charged is one reason. They can be removed, but this is a big hassle.

Lots of variables. This winter we will spend a month or so in Arizona, so we won't store it.

Good luck, Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I don't know about your particular situation - as far as available space, etc.

In an "unlimited" arena, I would recommend having an RV carport built. We have one that is 19x40x14 with one side closed (the other faces the garage), and it was only about $2000.

We were lucky that the garage also has plumbng and electricity. We put the "carport" near the cleanout, and added a 30A electrical outlet on the outside wall. That way, we can dump, fill, and hook up the power when needed.

The main advantage is that you have 24/7 access to your motorhome, without driving across town.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We've done both indoor storage & bought a cover. Indoor storage was $125 per month (we stored it from Dec to Apr), but it was 3 hours away, so we thought we'd stay closer to home & put that money toward a cover for the next year. Our cover was almost 3 ft longer than our coach & we couldn't get it folded over enough or cinched down enough to eliminate flapping. It did rub on the roof & on both rear corners where the extra cover was folded & flapped in the wind. Our slide toppers (even though we tried to cushion) still poked through in several places. Without patching, the cover won't go another year. I wouldn't do a cover again.

I think you've got a good price for indoor storage. IMO, keep storing it there.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have always used covers on my motor homes and have not had a problem with them. Unless you try to remove them after a thaw and a freeze. I cut up the large swim noodles to use as covers for any sharp spots and over antenna mounts and slid topper mounts. These do a great job of keeping the cover from wearing. My cover fortunately fits very well and I have no billowing. I want my coach where I can service it, keep generator exercised, even use it for a motel for guest.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:52 AM   #8

We are on our 4th year with our ADCO with TyVek cover, and I believe we can make it a couple more years with this one. The key to longevity is to tighten it up fairly tight, and don't buy a cheap cover. When we remove the cover after all the snow in the Spring, our motorhome looks as good as the day we bought it. I dont bother with protecting the cover from sharp edges as it doesn't matter if there is small holes here and there...this is ripstop fabric. I have seen 2 year old uncovered units up here that their paint and graphics look like TOAST with this intense Sun up here.

The ADCO covers let you unzip any areas you need to get in to, and I get inside mine all the time when covered....do all kinds of maintenance, while knowing that my unit is protected from the Sun.

Of course, I would like to have a covered RV porch, but I can buy alot of $400 ADCO covers for that.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

You guy that store your campers outside in the winter don't worry about snow on the roof? That's alot of weight to be sitting up there all winter.

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:33 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedGuy:
You guy that store your campers outside in the winter don't worry about snow on the roof? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not at all....it would sit up there with or without a fabric cover....4 years with my cover!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

RED GUY: I don't worry about the weight of snow. It is distributed evenly. When I walk around up there, I put a whole lot more tension on the roof than snow will. They are built to take it.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho RedGuy: We only get a couple of feet of snow at most, so it isn't a problem here in Salt Lake City. However, we have had a house in Alpine, WY where 4 feet is the norm and as much as 6 feet is possible. We keep a snowmobile trailer which takes that weight ok and I'm sure the MH is even stronger.

Having said that, a neighbor had a travel trailer there and the roof caved in with the snow, so I guess it is possible.

Alta, a ski resort about 40 minutes from our house got 400 inches of snow last winter, so I wouldn't park an unprotected RV there.

Cover or no cover really doesn't matter.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Hey Folks, Have you ever seen a motorhome that sits out all the time. Well it ain't a pretty sight. For my 2 cents worth, keep it enclosed at all cost. Think of the investment that you made in this vehicle and it will turn out to be a no brainer. Also think of what additional value it be worth when you decide to trade up or down. For your motorhomes sake, keep it covered. To build a shed various a lot where you build it but do something. You won't regret it. Regards, Al
Al Spivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I keep mine under cover when not in use, it sure keeps it looking like new. You have a good deal with the storage costs--I would keep it under cover. My 2 cents!
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote