Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Storage Compartment Lock (Won't turn with key)

I have a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35U and the front storage compartment lock seems to be frozen in the unlock position. I keep my tools in this compartment and I want it to lock. Has anyone had any luck freeing up a frozen lock. I took the screws off the inside of the door and now have the lock in the handle in the sink in hot water. I've sprayed with Jug-A-loo, WD-4, and was thinking of soaking in vinegar. So far no luck.
Windsurferlady
Kingston, Ontario
Windsurferlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Spray penetrating oil inside the tumbler,,, work it slightly back and forth. I have had to do this for days at times to get various tumblers free. Just don't put too much pressure on the key or it will break. It will come loose.

For future do this once a year to all tumblers on your unit.

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have been doing it now for 2 dys. and so far no luck but I'll keep at it. The Jig-a-loo I sprayed on it has taken the wine coloured paint off the inside of the handle. It must be strong stuff. I have been easy on the key because I was afraid of breaking the key. I'm not even getting a wiggle but maybe if I let it sit over night. I usually spray all my key locks with graphite in the fall but I hadn't gone anywhere for two years and this has just seized up.
Windsurferlady
Kingston, Ontario
Old 11-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Good news. I decided this had to be able to come apart so I put a small screwdriver up against the metal pin holding the lock into the handle and tapped with a hammer and the pin pushed through so that I was able to get the lock out to see the back side of it. I tapped that with a hammer and then I saw I was able to move it a bit so then I knew it was freeing up. I applied more WD-40 and tried to turn it from the back side with a pair of pliers and voila. Put the key in and it started to turn. I think because I've gone to Texas for years the salt just solidifies like cement and you have to really work at things to get them loose. I'm off to the races now and I will keep on top of keeping them lubed or cleaned.
Windsurferlady
Kingston, Ontario
Old 11-14-2014, 04:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsurferlady View Post
Good news. I decided this had to be able to come apart so I put a small screwdriver up against the metal pin holding the lock into the handle and tapped with a hammer and the pin pushed through so that I was able to get the lock out to see the back side of it. I tapped that with a hammer and then I saw I was able to move it a bit so then I knew it was freeing up. I applied more WD-40 and tried to turn it from the back side with a pair of pliers and voila. Put the key in and it started to turn. I think because I've gone to Texas for years the salt just solidifies like cement and you have to really work at things to get them loose. I'm off to the races now and I will keep on top of keeping them lubed or cleaned.
Windsurferlady
Kingston, Ontario
Glad to hear it all worked out. I worked on one in my son's Suburban for 3 weeks. Everyday I would spray and give it try. Finally I got it too. The brine they are using these days is nasty stuff,,, just think what its doing to your RV,,!!

joe
Old 11-14-2014, 05:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I use graphite powder on all my keyed locks once a year. Comes in a small tube with a picture of a lock on it. Works great.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
I use graphite powder on all my keyed locks once a year. Comes in a small tube with a picture of a lock on it. Works great.

If your up here in Canada you have to use something or your not turning them,,,

joe
Old 11-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Dri Slide (You get it at gun or motorcycle shops) is good too, Very messy, but good.

I was going to suggest removal and replacement but I see the O/P beat me to it.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I went to Texas near South Padre Island for 10 years and I have always used graphite but I guess this front one was really stuck and I didn't go anywhere last year because of an implant I was getting so it sat without any use for a year, that didn't help matters but I'm going to put the graphite to all of them before it freezes. It wasn't that hard to take out and when you can see in a workshop and have the tools it's much better. I don't like forcing things when I don't know how they work but once I got the whole thing out I could see how it worked and applied a little pressure.
Thanks for all the tips. I love being able to bring my problems to the table and get help.
Windsurferlday
Kingston, Ontario

Tags
storage