Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sticking windows

I absolutely love my '01 Itasca Suncruiser. The only real kink is the sliding windows. They are difficult as all get out to move, and frequently a window will 'stick' for a few inches then let go as you try to slide it open. This slams your hand against some portion of the window frame, causing one to utter oaths. I have tried various lubricants in the track sides & bottom (Kroil, Lubriplate white grease, etc, and found only moderate improvements using 5W30 regular ol' motor oil
And another thing.

How can I identify the accursed beeper that drives us nuts when the jacks are down and the engine running yes, I know that it.s in the instrument panel, but where in there might it be .??
Old 09-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

NBOUNDER.... I have had so many similar moments that I just am smiling as I read your thread. In my case......I reached in the lower track first and pried out the felt seal/guide. I washed the garbage out of the track and in my case it was full of debris. I washed the felt. After replacement..... WOW....what a difference. Now I am so happy.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I used an old toothbrush to clean the tracks,vacuumed them out, then sprayed them with silicone. Turned out very well. Don't forget to do the top track too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The two sliders behind the driver work fine, but the passenger seat slider is almost completely stuck closed. The most I can get it open is 1 inch. It is different in that it does not seem to have a frame, just thermopane glass, at least at the rear.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

CJ...can you post a photo? You have my interest
Old 10-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Got home from our 7 week trip and took it into General RV to have them fix it. The tech just sprayed silicone into the channel, still stuck, he said short of replacing the window, wasn't much more he could do. He said try it again a few hours after it had a chance to soak in. Also said don't use a petroleum product like WD40 as it will cause the rubber to swell and just make it worse. No charge and I left a bit disappointed. Got it to my storage yard a half hour later and tried again, it moved a bit more than before. I had some CRC spray silicone in the coach, so I hit it again and kept working it, and it finally broke loose. Looked like a PO has sprayed it with something that turned the rubber gummy on the bottom of the track. Cleaned as best I could, but the black just kept coming off on a paper towel. Hit it with a final spray of silicone and put in in storage until I leave again in a month. I will try to update this thread then to let you know if it is free or seized.

Sorry, didn't get a pic.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

CJ: I never put any spray lube in the felt track.... but I have figured out how to remove the tracks and I wash them well in hot water with a mild detergent. Pollutants... filth and weather gets in them and they just get funky. If you have the time and inclination.... remove one carefully.... and wash it out... have a look at what comes out..... let it air dry and put it back in again. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the results. Windows might just slide and glide.

Tags
window