Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Sticker on the wall beside the driver

Am I correct in assuming that the tire air pressure listed on the wall near the driver is with the coach filled with fuel and water? Thanks, Joe
Old 07-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

No. That is the maximum pressure the tire is rated for whether the coach is empty or loaded with everything you own. It should match the information on the sidewall of the tire.
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The correct way to set the tire pressure for your coach is to load it for a trip with full fuel and water and then take it somewhere and weigh all four corners. Write the weights down then go to http://www.rvtirepressure.com/assets/images/extrapages/Michelin_Rv_Load_Inflation.pdf
to find the correct pressure for your tires at the load you have. In the mean time you can just run the pressure shown on the side of the tire.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Actually, the pressures on the manufacturer sticker should typically be the necessary pressure to support the GVWR with the OEM tires. If you're lighter than the GVWR (max weight the chassis will support) as determined by weighing your rig (ideally separate weights for each wheel position) you may be able to run lower pressures according the the tire manufacturer's inflation tables. If you have changed the tires from the originals you'll need to consult the tire manufacturer's inflation tables to get the proper air pressure, using either the GVWR or your measured wheel weights.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
The correct way to set the tire pressure for your coach is to load it for a trip with full fuel and water and then take it somewhere and weigh all four corners. Write the weights down then go to http://www.rvtirepressure.com/assets/images/extrapages/Michelin_Rv_Load_Inflation.pdf
to find the correct pressure for your tires at the load you have. In the mean time you can just run the pressure shown on the side of the tire.
Good advice, it's the best way for you to control not only your ride quality but, tire wear and handling characteristics. But, just for additional clearity on that proceedure, and I'm quite sure bdpreece was not implying you do so, make sure that once you've accquired your weights, even if the sides are different for the same axle, you cannot, repeat, CANNOT, put different air pressures on two opposite sides. Simply put in the pressure that corresponds to the higher weight of the two tires of the same axle. Hope this helps with bdpreece's statement.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Actually, the pressures on the manufacturer sticker should typically be the necessary pressure to support the GVWR with the OEM tires. If you're lighter than the GVWR (max weight the chassis will support) as determined by weighing your rig (ideally separate weights for each wheel position) you may be able to run lower pressures according the the tire manufacturer's inflation tables. If you have changed the tires from the originals you'll need to consult the tire manufacturer's inflation tables to get the proper air pressure, using either the GVWR or your measured wheel weights.
There is a lot of confusion on this sticker. Most of the people are just plain wrong. This guy is the only one who has it right. if you look on the sticker, you will see the vin number. This sticker is made for this coach only. It applies to this coach only. Of course the manufacturer assumes you are not overloading the coach.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

120# Max ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
No. That is the maximum pressure the tire is rated for whether the coach is empty or loaded with everything you own. It should match the information on the sidewall of the tire.
All the tires have 120# Max when cold stamped on them, but the wall sticker says 95# on the four rear and 110# on the two front. That's the dilemma. I recall, but not too well, that someone posted that said the wall sticker pressure was very important. I just don't recall how they used those figures.

To top it off, the dealership that we bought it from said to go 105# all the way around when the coach is filled like you would fill it for a trip. I know others would say that it must be weighed, but then what is that sticker info for that seems to be so prominently displayed by the driver?

Joe
Old 07-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
There is a lot of confusion on this sticker. Most of the people are just plain wrong. This guy is the only one who has it right. if you look on the sticker, you will see the vin number. This sticker is made for this coach only. It applies to this coach only. Of course the manufacturer assumes you are not overloading the coach.
Thank You. I was hoping that someone would answer that works with this stuff all the time. And you did. I appreciate the post. I figured that there must be a reason why that sticker is there. I feel better now. Leaving for four days in a State Park in the AM. Happy Trails, Joe
Old 07-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
All the tires have 120# Max when cold stamped on them, but the wall sticker says 95# on the four rear and 110# on the two front. That's the dilemma. I recall, but not too well, that someone posted that said the wall sticker pressure was very important. I just don't recall how they used those figures.

To top it off, the dealership that we bought it from said to go 105# all the way around when the coach is filled like you would fill it for a trip. I know others would say that it must be weighed, but then what is that sticker info for that seems to be so prominently displayed by the driver?

Joe
According to the Winnebago brochure for the 2008 Latitude you should have a GVWR of 27,910 lbs, a GAWR (front) of 10,410 lbs, and a GAWR (rear) of 17,500 lbs. These numbers should match the drivers sticker and also the one in the rear closet with all of the other coach weight numbers.

According to the Built on Freightliner info for the 2008 Latitude your coach came with Michelin XRV 255/80R 22.5 LRG tires.

Using that info and the Michelin Load and Inflation Tables it looks like you need to run 110 psi in the front tires (giving you a load capacity of 5205 lbs per side) and 95 psi in the rear tires (giving you a load capacity of 8820 libs per side). Those number match the Winnebago sticker.

If you weight your coach and you are below the maximum axle ratings (GAWR) above you may be able to run with a lower pressure if desired if the inflation table allows it.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Good advice, it's the best way for you to control not only your ride quality but, tire wear and handling characteristics. But, just for additional clearity on that proceedure, and I'm quite sure bdpreece was not implying you do so, make sure that once you've accquired your weights, even if the sides are different for the same axle, you cannot, repeat, CANNOT, put different air pressures on two opposite sides. Simply put in the pressure that corresponds to the higher weight of the two tires of the same axle. Hope this helps with bdpreece's statement.

Scott
Absolutely. Writing directions is not one of my strong points and some times I assume people understand.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

The pressure molded into the tire is the maximum tire pressure, which is needed if the tires are loaded to the maximum (Which is also molded, it reads Max load xxxxxx pounds at max pressure of yyy psi)

The number on the sticker which appears to be near the driver is meaningless.. It is the correct pressure with 1/2 tank of fuel, no water, now waste, no cargo other than a 150 pound driver.. In short, as delivered. Soon as you load her up, it's wrong.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

The number on the sticker which appears to be near the driver is meaningless.. It is the correct pressure with 1/2 tank of fuel, no water, now waste, no cargo other than a 150 pound driver.. In short, as delivered. Soon as you load her up, it's wrong.
This is WRONG. See my earlier posts...

Old 07-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Chris has it exactly correct!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Not true:
The info on the plaque is what the tire pressure should be IF the vehicle is loaded to it's GVWR with a properly distributed load.
The pressure shown on the tire sidewall is the MINIMUM pressure to support the maximum the tire will support.

From page 2 of the 06/07 Michelin RV Tire Guide: "If you look at the tire's sidewall, you'll see the maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating, and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry the maximum load."
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Excluding post numbers 2 and 11 everyone else has given you good correct advice in my opinion. I put my tires at the recommended pressures from that placard by the drivers seat. I weighed all 4 corners once just to ensure that I was below GVWR.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
I put my tires at the recommended pressures from that placard by the drivers seat. I weighed all 4 corners once just to ensure that I was below GVWR.
Problem with that is that it's not correct according to the tire manufacturers. You're probably too high on the pressure, and while that is not as bad as underpressure it's still not right according to manufacturer.

From page 3 of the2010 Michelin RV Tire Guide:
Quote:
Overinflation, on the other hand, will reduce the tire's contact area with the road, which reduces traction, braking ability, and handling. A tire that's overinflated for the weight it's carrying is more prone to a harsh rid, uneven tire wear, and impact damage.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:17 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

The number on the sticker which appears to be near the driver is meaningless.. It is the correct pressure with 1/2 tank of fuel, no water, now waste, no cargo other than a 150 pound driver.. In short, as delivered. Soon as you load her up, it's wrong.[/QUOTE]
Where did you get this information? it is incorrect.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Problem with that is that it's not correct according to the tire manufacturers. You're probably too high on the pressure, and while that is not as bad as underpressure it's still not right according to manufacturer
Yes I agree that my pressures are to high in general because our coach is never loaded to gvwr however this ensures that I will never be under inflated which is the number 1 cause of tire failure. I just find it easier to check the tire pressures before each trip rather then weigh the coach each time. You can weigh the coach and run your tires via the chart and maybe pad them all by 5 lbs but you still run the risk of overloading one or two tires this way unless you are weighing before every trip. I would however pay more diligence to weighing the coach and reducing the tire pressures accordingly if I wanted a smoother ride. I am comfortable with how are coach rides at current pressures.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Our rig came with Michelin tires. The dealer made sure all the tires were inflated to the numbers on that sticker. Thing is, for two of the axles that sticker pressure is higher than needed even at max rated weight. Using the Michelin charts, and assuming each axle is loaded to its max (which they are not), the fronts should be set at 10 lbs less than the sticker lists, the drive axle duals at 5 lbs less. Only the tag axle pressure is correct for the rating of the axle. The ride quality has to be much better at the lower pressures, especially on that front axle.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:23 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Amazing how much information posted on the Internet is wrong and people just keep repeating it as though it were fact.

My sticker says 80 psi all around, I pad that by 5 psi to be on the safe side in case I get a slow leak. I may be running overinflated but not by much. I have even seen others state that the "correct" way to inflate your tires is to run the max pressure listed on the sidewall, 110 psi, no thanks. I believe Chris has it right. Notice that I said "believe", not a statement of fact. And note how Chris uses the term "typically", not assuming all stickers are created equal. Unless you have chased it back to the source and are absolutely certain, please don't state something as though it is a certain fact. I will admit I am unintentionally guilty of doing that sometimes.

Tire selection, pressure and related questions is such a common topic, it ought to have it's own forum.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver