Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Step Retraction

I have a three-tread step (Kwikee) and they do not fully retract unless I "help" them up, by pushing. I lube them regularly. Batts OK. Any ideas?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I had that problem and crawed under coach and found bolts holding steps were loose, tightened problem went away. They didn't feel loose but were.
hope your problem is as easy as mine to fix.
vbugles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Check your ground strap from the steps to the chassis on both ends. I had a bad ground on mine which caused a voltage drop under load.
It could also explain why tightening the mounting bots took care of the problem for Vbugles
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I had exactly the same problem.
Some lubricating oil on the bolts connecting the steps.
Fixed the problem for me.
Works perfectly now. Be sure to get all bolts on both sides
jim & debbie, 04 journey 34H + suzuki AWD toad
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Harry B That grounding issue makes perfectly good sense to me. I didn't have to tighten much at all and bad ground would answer the question also spraying lubricant would make ground better even if temporary. Thanks I always wondered why it was so easy to fix. VBUGLES DUH
vbugles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem & I lubricated every possible joint. Those steps really get trashed going down the road. I also found a rivet that was pulling through. It is on the top step. Both sides take most of the flexing as a person gets in out of the coach & wear out the rivets. You can't order a replacement! Have to order a new step frame. But I did fabricate one using a 3/8 x 3/4 long rivet with a homemade bushing.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from MN View Post
I had the same problem & I lubricated every possible joint. Those steps really get trashed going down the road.
Exactly!
Think about it. All that road grit and junk the steps are exposed to. How about flushing all the movable joints with some gunk remover and then re-lubing them. Solved my problem.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The only thing I can add to what Ding-a-ling said is that if you have to use a lubricant, us a dry lub that won't attract dirt.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Another lube to consider for exposed items like this is a motorcycle chain lube. It comes in a spray can, is available in most auto parts stores and is designed for the most extreme crud conditions.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Our last MH had the same issue. I lubed it with white grease like (I think) the manufacturer suggested and no help. Next I got out my trusty can of WD40 with the plastic straw attached and bingo, the steps go all the way out and all the way back in.

The white grease doesn't seem thin enough to get into all the places that need it so I have been sticking with (or not sticking) Water Displacement 40.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I concur with Fleetman. Clean the joints with gunk remover and lube with chain lube. I did this to mine and it solved my problem.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
a k

It's the big center pivot shaft that freezes up. WD 40 then oil the crap out it
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
JC2
Winnie-Wise

We use this stuff on our steps and anything else that needs lubricant.
Jig-A-Loo - an invisible silicone-based lubricant and water-repellent !

Other members apparently have done so also.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/search.php?searchid=879454
Old 04-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I did all the above; steps still stall (almost in). I think they're like me.......old and tired.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 04-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thudman,
here is a link you may want to review:
Kwikee Products - Literature
you can locate the electrical schmatics of your particular steps by knowing your part numbers.
Your battery must be fully charged and in good condition.
I would try a problem solving tree with 3 hypotheses:
1. there is still a mechanical problem with the stairs even after you lubricated. You can test this by locating the motor under the step. First for safety, disconnect the plug supplying power to the motor. Then Disconnect the linkage (identified in the schematic you have found). Now the motor is no longer connected mechanically to the steps. Check the ease of movement of the steps which should now move freely because the linkage is removed. If the steps do not move freely, you have a mechanical problem and you can find this by successively removing each remaining step. Once you find the mechanical problem it should be straightforward to repair.

2. An electrical problem with the motor or the mechanical gear. now that the linkage has been removed, connect the power plug. When the door is opened and closed, does the motor freely drive the gear? If not, then the problem lies with the gear or the motor. Now remove the motor as shown in the schematic. Does the gear move freely. If not, the problem is with the gear. It may need to be thoroughly cleaned and relubricated. Note that Kwikee has their own recommeded lubrication.
3. If the gear moves freely, then the problem is with the motor. Disconnect the ground wire, clean thoroughly and reattach. With the power plug reconnected, operate the door and see if the motor moves freely (consult the schematic for a position switches which sense when the steps are extended or retracted. You may have to bypass these switches) If the motor does not move freely, then you will need to oder a replacement. If the motor windings have an internal short, the motor may still work but will not have power and then the problem with the motor may be much more difficult to determine without much more information about motor winding resistance. Assuming the motor is a DC motor, the armature contacts or brushes of the motor may be dirty or slightly carbonized. You will not be able to fix this without disassembling the motor and inspecting for this. If you reach this point you may consider just replacing the motor.

hope this helps,
jim & debbie, 04 journey, 34H, C7 + suzuki AWD toad
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

In cold weather ours have more problems going in than in warm weather. I finally have found using PB Blaster Penetrating oil on all moving joints has taken care of the problem even in cold weather. Any time the step start to slow down I lube them the PB Blaster and they work again.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Wow, Jim has a comprehensive approach!! Some day when I have little else to do (may never reach this idyllic condition, since I own a MH) I'll give it a go. Perhaps it's binding as it reaches near-retraction. Thanks to all.

Thudman

Old 04-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Hey Thudman -

Just a thought, do you have those astroturf-like step covers that could be bunching up somewhere?

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Had the same problem on my Adventurer, of course the snow and salt we got in Michigan and Ohio did not help used 2 cans of PB Blaster penetrating oil and helped the steps in did this daily for about 1 week then I sprayed silicone lube on after this, also gave the same treatment to the large drive gear underneath, they work fine now, hope this helps
Old 04-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

No step coverings at all. Maybe I'll disconnect the drive system & see if there is binding in the step mechanism. Another addition to my to-do list.

Thudman