Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2019, 05:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Step retraction

I noticed recently that my steps were only retracting about 2/3 of the way. I relubed the joints and cycled them without success. I disconnected the actuator pin and cycled the steps manually but they move freely without binding. They will retract completely if I give them just a little help. Anyone experience this?
Old 03-26-2019, 05:39 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

At this point it sounds like the motor needs to be replaced.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You might try disengaging the motor and turning the gear to catch it in a slightly different place. If that works, you probably need a new motor/gearbox. These are generally available on Amazon at a reasonable price. Be very careful when working on it. The steps can retract on you very quickly and you do not want your hand in ther when it does! Good luck.
T00lman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView View Post
At this point it sounds like the motor needs to be replaced.
Why is it that so many items need to be replaced on Winnebagos even though the units are relatively new
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had something similar a few years back and replacing the motor solved the problem. I think what caused it was parking next to a high curb and the bottom step slammed into the curb with the step motor running and damaged the gears. Also someone mentioned that stepping on the steps before it is fully out could have caused the problem. I found some videos showing the replacement on YouTube and then ordered an exact replacement from Amazon. Took me less than a half hour and it was around $100.00 well below what an RV place will charge. Note - a while back on another post items on Amazon coming from the Winnebago Store on Amazon were considerably higher than just searching Amazon for the item. Both were identical items.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

steps

My steps have occasionally done the same thing. I lube them and keep them clean but still the problem persist's. Same thing with the slider. At times it works, other times I have to go and sync the motors so that it will work. I am sure other brands have the same problems, but one thing is for sure, I rather sleep in a tent than purchase another Winnebago ever.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Have you ever dragged the step on a step (doesn't have to be very steep) driveway incline? I did and my step was pretty disabled and I was on the road. I stopped at a wonderful RV place just off I-70 in St. Louis and they were able to bang around very hard on it so that it went in all the way but only came out 2/3 of the way. Back home I asked about replacing it (it seemed to have taken all the banging a person could do but was still binding) and it was going to be about $800 for just the parts. I decided to live with it and drive much more carefully and avoid steep driveways. Lo and behold I was in Gallup NM and had to have a DQ Blizzard and they had bad ingress and egress. I drove around countless different ways and finally got in OK and thought I had found another way out that was even better. Alas, the stairs scrapped on that exit so I just gritted my teeth and kept on going. I pulled right over to assess the damages and who would have known but the entire step was grated back into perfect position and works like new! I don't recommend the method that worked for me but it did work!
highfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:37 PM   #8
Old Dirt Biker

Step Repair

Last year we bought a 1999 SunFlyer 33 in incredibly good shape. This is my first try at RVing and we were excited about it. The second day we owned it, the step would not extend.

I won't bore y'all with details of the repairs, but there is one very handy piece of information I found while browsing the internet for repair information. The step motor/gearset that was used by Winnebago on many of their models is the exact same thing as a mid-1990's Ford F-150 power window motor. Even the part number on the step motor matches the Ford part number!!

Why is this so important? Winnebago charges around $125 for a replacement motor while the Ford part costs around $35 for the exact same thing. I can't find the info I had written down for the motor, but just get the part nr off the one on your RV and then start searching eBay or a Ford dealer to get the right one. If the steps are stuck in the store position, you have to work to see the P/N on it, but if you're is in the out position, it's easy to see right on the motor case.
MotoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Check the voltage at the motor, low voltage will cause a plethora of problems with the the Quickistep
1953m38a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:13 AM   #10

Yes. Check voltage at step before you buy a new motor.

I think motors such as these operate on a dynamic brake principle. So whenver there is repetitive friction the brushes in the motor will burnout. And like a window motor, when you wack it with a hammer it brakes the corrosion free and you get a little or a lot more life out of you motor.

I also love that you can cross this part to a standard Ford window motor part. If that is true, and/or you can get this part on Amazon for less than $100 that is great!

My RV motor number is 094707-02-700 and when I put that number into the Amazon search bar this is what I got:

Amazon $90: https://www.amazon.com/SP-1636669-St...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Fits: RV, Coach, Motorhome, Toyhauler, Step Motor for Stromberg Carlson, Lippert LCI, & Frigette entry steps.

300-1406, SP-1636669, SP-163669

This motor is identical to my original failed motor. My old part has the part # of 163669 vs this motor's # 1636669 (Extra 6). Despite the difference in part numbers they are the same.

At the moment I am waiting for conformation this part (designed to replace Frigette Steps Motors) will be a direct replacement; and if get that conformation I will let everyone know if this cross works.

See attached .pdf schematic of my step system
Attached Files
File Type: pdf STEPS Schematic & Part Numbers.pdf (118.6 KB, 64 views)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Vista 27PE

Sunvale1,
You ask “why do so many items need to be replaced on units that are relatively new?”

When my 32 “ TV fell off the wall of a 2018 Vista still under warranty I called a dealer who said they could fix it in about 6 months. When I called Winnebago Tech Support to ask what to do about fixing it and every screw in my Vista that fell out in the first 10 months of a new motor home. The simple answer the guy gave me was,
“Use Bigger Screws.”

Moral of the story: Sometimes the obvious and truthful answer to a question is pretty unsatisfying.

On the bright side, I’m probably qualified to apply for a Winnebago RV Technician job after 2 years of ownership.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
Sunvale1,
You ask “why do so many items need to be replaced on units that are relatively new?”

When my 32 “ TV fell off the wall of a 2018 Vista still under warranty I called a dealer who said they could fix it in about 6 months. When I called Winnebago Tech Support to ask what to do about fixing it and every screw in my Vista that fell out in the first 10 months of a new motor home. The simple answer the guy gave me was,
“Use Bigger Screws.”

Moral of the story: Sometimes the obvious and truthful answer to a question is pretty unsatisfying.

On the bright side, I’m probably qualified to apply for a Winnebago RV Technician job after 2 years of ownership.
that is pretty much right on target. I have had to replace pretty much all of the screws in my 17 Winnebago View on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. I simply used Gorilla glue in the screw hole and stuck the screw loosely back in. Ones the glue hardened, I gave the screw a 1/4 turn. The problem I have now is the slider. Sometime she does and other times she does not slide in and out that is...
Old 04-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Bingo

What do you think folks? I've got a strong suspicion that this may have something to do with the problem..

I finally got around to dropping the mechanism, which is simple, and here's what I found. I would have to guess that it's been over stressed a bit somewhere along the way. Now I'll see if I can find replacements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pinion.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	171375   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190409_120115.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	171376  

Click image for larger version

Name:	stepmotor.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	171377  
Old 04-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundr56 View Post
What do you think folks? I've got a strong suspicion that this may have something to do with the problem..

I finally got around to dropping the mechanism, which is simple, and here's what I found. I would have to guess that it's been over stressed a bit somewhere along the way. Now I'll see if I can find replacements.
That looks way OVER stressed. Those gears need lots of lube which these gears did not. I lube my steps ones a week.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:23 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Before spending money: Unhook the wiring connection near the steps. Spray connection with Deoxit D5 contact cleaner. This is the best contact cleaner I have ever used.
1killowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:15 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

It’s all working fine now. Found a replacement pinion gear for the motor and a step gear. Good as new.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:09 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Here is info about part sources for the gears;

From amequipment.com

1 412-1055
EACH Pinion, 9 Tooth, 19.05 Pitch
Dia., 13.3mm Double "D", PM

From Lippert components,

Items Shipped:
Item Name Qty Tracking
369354 STEP WLDMT ELEC GEAR 8.38 X 5.57

The pinion was about $9 and the plate gear was about $120.

This was substantially less than what some were telling me I had to buy the whole step Assy for about $500. I was also told that I couldn’t buy the pinion without the motor (this just served as a challenge).