Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Step not working

Hello all, I wondering if there is a way to manually lower and raise the power step on a Vista 31KE. We're on the road and I would rather work on it when I get home.

Thanks in advance
willide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I had this happen before. The tech at the manufacturer told me to hit the step motor with a rubber mallet - it will jog the motor enough to get it working again. I always kept the mallet by the door for this event (also could work for self defense).
keithpollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by willide View Post
Hello all, I wondering if there is a way to manually lower and raise the power step on a Vista 31KE. We're on the road and I would rather work on it when I get home.

Thanks in advance
You can disconnect the linkage under the steps when extended. (Please disconnect all power before reaching under the steps.)
At that point they will freely move in and out and you will likely need a method of keeping them extended while in use. While in transit you can use something like a bungee cord to keep them secured.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the responses, tried the rubber mallet no dice. It started working a couple weeks ago for a day but hasn't worked since, i'm glad it fails in the up position. I for the life of me don't see how to disconnect the linkage but will look into it further when we get to Tucson Tuesday as we will be there for awhile.

Thanks to you both
Old 03-01-2019, 03:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The reason for using the mallet is that the motor can get stuck between the windings/brushes and the armature of the motor. The idea is to jar the motor in order to make contact again. You might have to whack it a few times sharply. Of course it could also be a dead motor...........
keithpollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
Mechanical Engineer

I've dealt with this... The motor self stops when it hits an obstruction. That is supposed to be at the end of travel (up or back). This can bind the pin that disengages the drive linkage (for a forced manual retract). So this might also bind enough to prevent deployment, or retract from starting. My gearbox was freezing up in cold weather. My motor was good and controller was sending signal just fine...So you might try assisting the movement (pull or push) while opening your door to signal motor start. Note the controller gives a 25 second 12v pulse to the motor. The motor stops itself when movement is obstructed.

With the right skills, you can hot wire the motor. 12V and ground to the terminals. Reverse polarity to reverse direction. Use all caution. Splice in parallel or use a proper connector/pigtail. If this sounds confusing, don't try it!

Mark Hischier
2011 Winnebago Tour 40CD
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
MTNestTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Try shorting the magnetic reed switch with a key or screwdriver. If that works, replace the switch.
T00lman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

When was the last time you lubricated the steps? You may simply have enough friction to make the controller think the steps have hit something. Lubricate all the pivot points on the side of the steps, then crawl under and lubricate the shafts by the motor.
haiduan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:20 PM   #9
JCM
Winnebago Camper

Use Castrol chain lube (motorcycle chain). It won't pick up dirt and lasts for 6 months or more. Watch it when you put it on as it has graphite and will stain your clothes if you lube them.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I had this happen to me,it was a broken wire in the stair well . there is a switch there to control the stairs, check the wires.
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Many times its a bad ground to frame connection or lack of maintenance as the steps are supposed to be lubricated with what looks to my eye to be a white lithium or garage door track lubricant.

If you review the owners manual for the steps there should be information on pulling the pin to operate the steps manually which is where I found this information.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:22 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

On mine, the only way to manually operate the steps is to remove the motor. It is bolted under the top step, and has 3 or 4 screws holding it up.

It is easy to take off the motor.

I agree that it is very likely the magnetic switch on the screen door being broken, or maybe out of position just enough to stop working.

Good Luck!
Old 03-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I had this happen 2 years ago on my SunStar. Something inside the motor broke. So all the banging did no good. I removed the motor (3 screws) followed the wires to a plug and used a bungee cord until I replaced. Here is an example of the step motor on Amazon $88:
https://www.amazon.com/Kwikee-379147.../dp/B005G21JP2
Old 03-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Revive this a topic little: I cannot seem to get access to the swing-arm to remove the cotter pin to release the steps - to replace the motor?

It seems pretty well boxed in on my 2002 Sightseer...

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I had this problem, The steps would work intermittently then they stopped. The stopped in the open position. This allowed me to pull one cotter pin to release the step from the control arm. I read these forums on this issue, everybody wanted me to do something with the ground check this and that. I just purchased a new motor and put it in in about 10 minutes. This fixed my problem and now I just lubricate the steps everytime I take it out.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 03-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Bill, I wish I shared your luck; mine are 'Closed'. I plan on doing the exact same thing - a new motor (after all, 2002!) ..if, I can figger a way to get to it.

Jim
Old 03-16-2019, 08:02 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the great replies. Nothing worse than a dang intermittent, the step started working on our first day out and has worked the entire trip. We will be home this afternoon and I'm going to lube it good and order a new motor, I checked all grounds and everything was good. So I figured I'll just change out the motor.

Again thanks for all the great replies.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:19 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Perhaps someone has replaced a Kwikee 'Classic 2-step' motor of a roughly 2002 vintage - and can tell me what the model # of the motor was.

There appear to be two versions with the height of the central gear stud making the difference. Two RV sellers I have contacted have no reference guide - other than looking at the one I have ...but, I cannot see it?!

If I am going to have a tech come here to fix it, I want to have a new motor to go right back in. At <$100. it's silly to put back a 17yr old motor, even if that is not the issue. Thanks.

Jim
Old 03-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Hello Wetstuff,

When I was looking for a motor I saw a data sheet similar to this one. http://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vspf...tion-Chart.pdf and on this sheet I took a look at this and noticed that the new motor is the same part number for all. I searched this part number on amazon and this is what I purchased. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I was willing to send it back if it did not work. It turns out it worked perfectly for my old motorhome. 3 bolts and a cotter pin.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 03-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Bill, Here's the thing that scared me...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/87QAA...2D/s-l1600.png

I thought it was the pin - but it is the gear height. Yet, when I look at your Amazon listing there is no gear attached...

Confused as ever, Jim