Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Steering Stabilizer

What, if anything, can you tell me about the Steer Right or Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizers? I am interested in one of these and personal experience would be most helpful.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

SteerSafe

Do search in this forum for "steering stabilizer" you will find a ton of information on this subject.

I personally put the SteerSafe unit on our MH and highly recommend it. Check out the link below for some information on the SteerSafe.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/stee...ts-127213.html

Don't know if it would be available for a 2013.

Also check out the Safe-t-Plus. Do a search on YouTube they have a great video out there that is amazing.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I am vry interested in adding one of these also. I have been thinking about the Saf T Plus but I'm still checking them all out.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I had a Safe T Plus installed on my Itasca Ellipse 40DP when it only had 6000 miles on it and I love it. Took the driving experience from being a bit "white knuckle" to a two finger process.

It can be argued that these things are band aids which cover up other problems and there's some validity to that so make sure you have all of the obvious things which impact handling checked first before adding one of these. My coach had been back to the factory and to two Freightliner and specialty alignment shops, as well as my dealer before I finally decided to have Henderson's Line Up in Oregon work their magic... including the installation of the Safe T Plus.

The added safety margin they provide in the event of a blow out is a very nice plus too.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Before installing the Blue Ox Tru-control I looked at the others. Most required several adjustments after driving the MH to set up and any future adjustments require crawling under the MH with a couple of wrenches....Tru-control is adjustable with a button mounted near the driver. I found that pretty convenient when traveling on different highways and with different wind directions. Blue-ox is more $$$ however.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

That is Tru-Center, not Tru-Control, and I have the same unit, love it, True story.. My first trip to Las Vegas (From Detroit) Was very "White knuckle" was a pleasure to park the house and drive the towed.

Next trip, Post instalation, was much nicer, When I parked the house the towed seemed.... Much harder to drive, Same house, same towed. Only difference. The Tru-Center.

I will say this, Some are detent systems, they keep you in the center, once centered, Others "Encourage center" The True-Center is one of those. All of them are good.

Another change I made was a Track Bar.. One of the problems with motor homes is they kind of "Wag" like a dog's tail, this means the body may not be pointed the same way the wheels are (This is a side effect of leaf springs by the way) The trac bars "lock" the body over the axle, so it does not wag. I added one of those at the same time as the True-center.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

A have a steer-safe, the "cheap handling fix" and a track bar. All helped to improve the ride.
Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My STP went from my W22 to my CX-L chassis without skipping a beat.
It definately decreases the amount of steering wheel 'shudder' fed back from the tires, as well as decreasing the amount of percived play in the wheel.
- No idea on blow-outs, never had one - knock (wood).

It doesnt necasarily 'fix' anything (inflation, shocks, alignment matter most) but it makes for a much more enjoyable drive.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I had Steer Safe installed on my 2010 Ellipse and love it. Considerably less lane movement in heavy winds. The DW likes that she does not feel pushed around by the 18 wheelers.
CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I was going to buy the Safe-T-Plus but kept reading about the Steer Safe. I did buy a Steer Safe and am having it installed this week. It is easy enough to do but I think I will let a professional do it for me.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgpo View Post
I was going to buy the Safe-T-Plus but kept reading about the Steer Safe. I did buy a Steer Safe and am having it installed this week. It is easy enough to do but I think I will let a professional do it for me.
After you get it installed and drive it a bit please post back and let us know how it worked or you.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I had the Steer Safe installed today at a local shop. This place does a lot of RV work and has several dedicated service bays for MHs. Since it is only about three city blocks from the shop to the storage place I cannot offer up much of an opinion. What I can say is that it seems as though the steering wheel wanted to track straight, a good thing. I am planning on taking it out for a test drive in a few days as soon as the forecast rain moves away.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We took the RV out on Saturday for a test drive of the Steer Safe. It does make a big difference in straight tracking with little effort. Next up is a long trip where there will be lots of 70 mph semis passing on the left.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I will through this out and suggest looking at the Road Master Reflex. I have one and like it. It is made with both hydrolic damping and coil spring tension. Easy installation too.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Have the Safe-T-Plus and it has performed great. Took a bit of time getting it set up. Really makes driving much easier.

Gary
Gary D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Any updates on the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizers? I am considering one. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Still Bill.
Still Bill.
I have been using the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer since 2007. It was first installed on a 2007 Winnebago Adventurer and I notice a significant improvement in steering stability. Settled down the constant steering corrections. We changed RV's to an Itasca Meridian and I transferred the Safe-T-Plus to Itasca.
I am satisfied with the system however I have no other system to compare it to.
Good luck.
Gary D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Hi Bill,
This is the first time I have ever used Safe-T-Plus. I must say that I am very happy with it. My coach is much easier to hold in a straight line and I do not notice the side-gusts from either the wind or passing trucks nearly as much as I used to. I cannot comment on how it holds the road if you get a blowout and I hope I never need to.
Steve
Old 11-02-2014, 03:59 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I recently put the Safe-T-Plus 41-230 on a 2015 Adventurer 35P (2014 F-53 chassis 24K) to take some of the wandering out of the steering. Before the install I was constantly correcting the steering by a couple of inches, especially when it was windy. I would say that the Safe-T-Plus took about 60% of the wander out of the steering. When it is calm the motorhome goes nicely down the road with very minor corrections and perhaps a slight adjustment if I get passed by a big truck. When it is windy I may have to make the odd adjustment but it is much better. I don't have the CHF so that is expected.

It took me several attempts to adjust the unit so that the motorhome would go straight down the road.

Overall it was a good investment for me and also gives me peace of mind if there is ever a blow out.

2013 Elantra GT - SMI Stay-In-Play, Blue Ox set up.
follows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I just had CW install a RM unit on my 37' gasser and it has eliminated practically all wander. $600 installed.
jwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering