Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Squeeks and rattles

Here is Kalifornia our roads SUCK! I picked up my coach last night from Freightliner and on the way home I turned off the radio and just listened. I could hear my sliverware bouncing around and creeks and squeeks here and there in which I can deal with. The real problem is comming from the door. It has a very annoying squeek. I havent been able to pin it down. I think its the rubber seal rubbing against the door frame or seal on the coach side. Im pretty sure its rubber to rubber just not sure becuse Im driving and my wife cant figure it out.. Im courious if others have this noise and how did you fix it.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #2

We all have this issue and all you can do is try try try. Sometimes it goes away and sometimes it gets worse. Sooner or later you will figure it out.

Good Luck
173dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

4J's, I had the squeek on my Monaco Rig, drove the DW up a tree, it was right by her. Anyway I was sure it was the door seal. I sprayed the seal and door jam with silicon spray and that fixed it right up. I do it every couple of months and she is Happy!!!. Hope this helps you out.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My rattle by the door turned out to be CD cases stacked in the cabinet above the door.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

You come to expect these noises when basically you are in a rolling earthquake. It gives you a full time job lubing and tightening everything that comes loose!!! LOL Have fun and enjoy.

CHEERS
Old 12-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Try wrapping the door latch stud which extends from the door frame with about 2 wraps of electrical tape. It tightens up the door and helps stop the rattles.

Needs to be changed every so often, but it's cheap.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Try wrapping the door latch stud which extends from the door frame with about 2 wraps of electrical tape. It tightens up the door and helps stop the rattles.

Nice! Good thinking will do.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:

I have to do the same thing with my 2004 Meridian. On mine it's not so much to tighten up the door as it is to eliminate the door latch rubbing on the door latch stud, as you'll see from where the electrical tape rubs through about every 2-4 days of travel.

And yes, these Freightliner chassis do ride so rough everything squeaks, rattles, and shakes going down the road unless it happens to be a new velvet smooth blacktop. And we sure don't have any of those here in Oklahoma, especially around and through Oklahoma City and Tulsa.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

I have to do the exact same thing with the electrical tape. It makes a really annoying noise if I don't. I've tried adjusting and moving all the movable parts and now just use the tape.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Tape Idea

Quote:
Try wrapping the door latch stud which extends from the door frame with about 2 wraps of electrical tape...
Very cool idea!

I have some shrink-tubing, will try to use that if I can find the right size. It might last a little longer.

Another trick, mentioned earlier: take a section of hose or a nylon footie and put some corn starch in it. Knot the nylon, drop the pouch into an old sock. Knot the sock. Then, you can powder the seal. Works on slide seals, too. That seems to work well, the resultant dust is temporary and easily cleaned up.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I've used silicone spray but I'll try the idea of putting tape on the Nader bolt.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Another way to reduce the squeaks and rattles is to install Koni FSD shock absorbers. A huge improvement over stock shocks, Bilsteins, and Monroes. The FSD give a miuch smoother ride on the choppy concrete freeways.

I noticed just yesterday in the FMCA magazine, a write up on the $1.2 mil Foretravel 45' motorhome. The specs called out Koni FSD in the rear, and Koni adjustables in the front.

Don't know if you can get FSD's all the way around on your Freightliner chassis, but I highly recommend it to help drastically reduce the road vibrations and extend the life of all the components inside, including the pilot and co-pilot.

Happy Trails,
Bill

PS: I see you're in NoCal, here in SoCal, they have a major campaign going on grinding the freeways smooth. So now we have many miles of creamy smooth roads.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
Another way to reduce the squeaks and rattles is to install Koni FSD shock absorbers. A huge improvement over stock shocks, Bilsteins, and Monroes. The FSD give a miuch smoother ride on the choppy concrete freeways.

I noticed just yesterday in the FMCA magazine, a write up on the $1.2 mil Foretravel 45' motorhome. The specs called out Koni FSD in the rear, and Koni adjustables in the front.

Don't know if you can get FSD's all the way around on your Freightliner chassis, but I highly recommend it to help drastically reduce the road vibrations and extend the life of all the components inside, including the pilot and co-pilot.

Happy Trails,
Bill
Yes, Koni FSD's are available for the Freightliner chassis. I have them on my coach and they really smooth out the ride.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

If it is your door striker post instead of the seal, you can remove your striker post and replace it with a grade 8 bolt and a brass bushing. A machine shop can turn one a little smaller if needed. The door rubbing on the brass bushing won't squeak! Mine's been on for 2 years, and about 30k miles. Since then, we have also replaced the shocks with Koni FSD's, and also installed Motion Control Units from Henderson. We also replaced the bell crank with a Henderson unit. We did all these at the same time, so can't speak to one over the other, but made a HUGE difference in the ride and driveability of the coach!
BattChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Also make sure that you close the door firmly. If I don't, then the door will latch, but not in the fully closed position. Talk about noise.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Be happy! In an RV if you don't hear squeaks and rattles you are probably broken down along side the road. just sayin
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I have always found that a shot of WD40 on that pesky bolt is good for about two months then I have to repeat. I usually forget to do it and it becomes a maintenance item when we stop for fuel or a roadside park during a trip. I always carry a can in a bay close to the door so the experience is quick and easy.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #18
DKY
Winnebago Camper

Door rattle

I cut down the rattle of the door 90% by mounting a 1 1/2" x2" piece of plastic bearing materal to the bottom door sill, latch side. Make it thick enough so when the door closes it will rest on it.Tapper the leading edge so the door will ride up a little when closing . If you watch the door (latch side ) when you are driving on a rough road you will see the door will move up and down. This will stop it.
DKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I saw another mod on the forum for the door. It involved removing the plastic inside liner on the door and filling the door with insulation. I did that to my Fleetwood and it helped a lot with noise.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by the4js
Here is Kalifornia our roads SUCK! I picked up my coach last night from Freightliner and on the way home I turned off the radio and just listened. I could hear my sliverware bouncing around and creeks and squeeks here and there in which I can deal with. The real problem is comming from the door. It has a very annoying squeek. I havent been able to pin it down. I think its the rubber seal rubbing against the door frame or seal on the coach side. Im pretty sure its rubber to rubber just not sure becuse Im driving and my wife cant figure it out.. Im courious if others have this noise and how did you fix it.
I had the same problem in my 04 Discovery. It drove me nuts for years. I tried everything,silicone spray,took the door apart etc. Finally I read a post on this forum that said the squeak comes from the door latch sticker. The fix was really simple, rap the male part that the latch attaches to with electrical tape and bingo the squeak that had bothered me for 5 years was gone. Hope that works for you.
LOUSAARE is offline   Reply With Quote