Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2020, 06:19 AM   #1
Don
Winnebago Camper

Squeal coming from dash

I'm not sure if this is the place to post a problem but here goes.
I have a 25 ft. 1996 Winnebago Warrior 454 ci.
When I drive over 50 mph I get a high pitched squeal coming from around the dash and steering wheel column. It's extremely loud especially if I'm heading into the wind. My mechanic has checked the collar around the steering wheel shaft, stuffed caulking on the outside firewall even tried to pressurize the inside to see where the squeal was coming from but to no avail. I've taped all around the the outside windshield but still no luck in finding out where this very annoying sequel is coming from. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would be appreciated. Thank you.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Those are hard to pin down but there is one common thing that can be easy to miss but also easy to check. There are weep holes along the bottom side of the windows of lots of RV and there is a plastic insert that clips on and easy to fall off. Maybe a quick look ?
If you see a simple slot along the bottom it should have the plastic cover and those do often squeal or some sound.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
Don
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advice Richard I'll give it a try.
Don
Old 11-07-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

A really simple but silly sounding thing to sort noise location is cheap but it takes somebody to do the search while driving.
Consider a small funnel stuck into the end of a short hose or tube like 18 inches long. Then if the test person holds that funnel over one ear, they can hear the noise get much louder when they aim the hose toward the source!
So simple it's silly but I do silly a lot if it does work!
Maybe check this posting down about post 16 for what I use:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...er-357651.html
Old 11-07-2020, 08:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Hi Don,
Do you have any pets that ride with you in your motorhome? Just a thought.
Eagle5
Old 11-08-2020, 06:20 AM   #6
Don
Winnebago Camper

I have had my wife use the video/audio on her cell phone to get an idea of where the noise is coming from. It's very hard to pin down (such a broad area) Maybe a cone and tube may work. Silly ideas often work. Thanks Richard.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:22 AM   #7
Don
Winnebago Camper

Very cute Eagle5. But I don't think it will cut the bacon.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Do you have a mechanical speedometer? If so what about the cable?
Old 11-11-2020, 05:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Mechanical speedometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
That's my first thought also.
Chuckmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:49 AM   #10
Don
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
No it's electronic, which believe it or not I had to have repaired two weeks ago. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I has a dash squeal on my 2020 Adventurer. I pinned it down to some bracket screws under the hood. They were located under the dash. I removed and put some blue Loctite
on them. Problem fixed. The hood brackets might be loose also. I have had to have all of them reglued.
Goodscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #12
Old Dirt Biker

Just because you hear the squeal in the people compartment, it doesn't mean the air is leaking inside. The whole leak/squeal could exist completely outside or under the hood and you just get the joy of the noise. Start checking under the hood from above and below. Look for loose things or something out of place. Maybe a sheet metal screw is missing and allowing something to vibrate with the wind. Wiggle, poke, prod, shake everything you can reach. Check all screws/bolts/clips/clamps for tightness. It's in there somewhere.....and you'll find it eventually. Good luck.
MotoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:05 AM   #13
Don
Winnebago Camper

Good advice MotoMac I'll give it a shot, Thank you.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:17 AM   #14
Old Dirt Biker

One other thing. If the squeal is really loud, you might take a leaf blower and use it to blow air in and around the front of your rig. You can probably put something around the leaf blower to redirect it's noise and have someone inside the rig to listen for it!

Just a thought.....
Old 11-13-2020, 07:19 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

That's where I find the old idea of the funnel over the ear is helpful as it lets you tell in which direction to move. Very old idea that used to help locate which valve needed to be adjusted when they started to make a tapping noise. It acts like a stethoscope to isolate the noise from the rest of the stuff we normally hear like wind, etc.
It took some work too convince my wife as she was not a believer, so I had to have her drive while I looked as she was not willing, therefore unable to hear any difference!
Maybe a "training session" using the jacks or seat belt alarm would be one way to see how it works?
Old 11-13-2020, 07:29 AM   #16
Don
Winnebago Camper

I thought of the same idea a few weeks ago, using a leaf blower against the engine firewall, but just haven't got around to it. Excellent advice MotoMac Thanks.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:35 AM   #17
Old Dirt Biker

Noise locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
That's where I find the old idea of the funnel over the ear is helpful as it lets you tell in which direction to move. Very old idea that used to help locate which valve needed to be adjusted when they started to make a tapping noise. It acts like a stethoscope to isolate the noise from the rest of the stuff we normally hear like wind, etc.
It took some work too convince my wife as she was not a believer, so I had to have her drive while I looked as she was not willing, therefore unable to hear any difference!
Maybe a "training session" using the jacks or seat belt alarm would be one way to see how it works?
I've used a small funnel on the end of a piece of motorcycle fuel line to hunt for noises. My wife is a believer so that helps. When we first got out rig, we used it to hunt down some of the more obnoxious squeaks and rattles.

As for engine stuff... Many years ago I came across a 'mechanics stethoscope" in a auto parts store. I looks like a regular stethoscope but has interchangeable tips for long, short, thin, flexible, etc. I love all types of motorcycles and use that all the time to find things like loose tappets, bottom end noises, etc. When someone asks me to check out a car or bike they're looking to buy, the first thing I grab is that stethoscope. It can find all sorts of things you will never hear with the naked ear.....water pump squeaks, tappets, A/C noises, etc.

Sometimes the most simple device can give the most incredible results!

Tags
dash