Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Squeaky Door while driving

Any one have any ideas to stop the door from squeaking while going down the highway. It is driving us crazy. Yes, of course we have it closed tight and locked. We are not sure what to do at this point. We would like to fix it in the least intrusive manner as possible.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
JIB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

On a Winne Aspect only Yahoo site someone described a method to remove the door handle assembly and the expand the hole. The door has a Styrofoam core and it appears that it is the door handle is vibrating against the Styrofoam. It was driving me crazy too but alway forgot about when I got home
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Try wrapping some electrical tape around the door latch stud (mounted in the door opening). If it stops you probably need to buy a new stud. The reason they start squeaking is because the Teflon layer has worn off on the stud.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

A moving RV is like a mobile earthquake. Everything shakes and rattles. Kind of used to the rattling. LoL!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

JIB2, try some silicon spray on the seals around the door frame and jam, I have to do it every couple of months.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
doc
Winnebago Owner

Our previous coach was an Itasca. We had what we thought was a squeaky door and it was exasperating trying to figure it out. I finally was able to determine it was not the door, but the styrofoam behind the seatbelt mechanism on the passenger side. Ended up taking the thing down and covering all the surfaces with duct tape and then reassembling them and tightening it down really secure. Stopped the squeak and made Ms C very happy.
We have a rattle problem on the present coach. Turns out to be the electric awning above the door. Bungy cord fixed that.
Good luck on the search for a fix.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post
Try wrapping some electrical tape around the door latch stud (mounted in the door opening). If it stops you probably need to buy a new stud. The reason they start squeaking is because the Teflon layer has worn off on the stud.

Mine doesnt have a coating on it. Im going to try the electrical tape idea.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post
I wrapped mine for several times then managed to get a new better coated post, which lasted about one year's worth of traveling before it rubbed off then back to the tape. For a while I was able to re-adjust that post a little lower so the door latch didn't rub so bad on the top of it but eventually ran out of adjustment room.

It seems my entrance door keeps settling a little more all the time which lets the door latch rub on the top side of the post. Has anyone figured out how to do any adjusting of the door where it looks like the upper hinge is doing most of the settling which lets the top part of the door settle more toward the back edge of the door frame?

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Yes I do beleive the squeeking is the latch post on the door jamb, We put a tiny bit of faucet grease on it every once in a while. Wipe it off first with a paper towel and keep the small container of grease on board!!!!!!!!!!!! Hate that squeek!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2011, 05:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have used Teflon tape on my door post. It worked, does not last a long time, but then it is cheap and easy to replace.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Deadbolt noise

Does anyone have a solution to the dreaded deadbolt rattle? I've tried to put heavy grease on it (by taking it apart) and it works for a short while, but once the grease works it way out the dreaded rattle returns!

Happy New Year to all!

Bob
bsedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

One + for a gasser.....loud enough to overcome most annoying squeaks & rattles.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I've sprayed, wrapped, adjusted, re-adjusted, spayed and wrapped some more. In my case, it just doesn't matter and have learned to accept the additional racket made by the door.

Good luck to you, and hope your remedies turn out better than mine.
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

W/I used to sell a kit to alleviate the door rattle.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Deadbolt rattle

bsedor - - If you stuff the hole in the jam with form rubber it will quiet the bolt
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

use a bar of bath soap and rube it on the latches
mmcmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

The solution that I have used to silence the latch noise is to encase the latch bolt in a measured section of a 5/8 inch vinyl plastic tubing fitted over the latch bolt. It stops the latch noise and tightens the latching of the door. I get about six months out of an eighteen inch section of the tubing which last cost 43 cents at a local Ace hardware. A little bit of trouble to keep doing it every so often, but it keeps it quiet.
Regards,
JB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

What type of foam rubber are you using, open cell, dense closed cell, it would appear this could interfere with the latch movement. Apparently you have done it and it worked.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, to everyone. This is helpful.

QUOTE=JBDISCOVERY;1051048]The solution that I have used to silence the latch noise is thto encase the latch bolt in a measured section of a 5/8 inch vinyl plastic tubing fitted over the latch bolt. It stops the latch noise and tightens the latching of the door. I get about six months out of an eighteen inch section of the tubing which last cost 43 cents at a local Ace hardware. A little bit of trouble to keep doing it every so often, but it keeps it quiet.
Regards,
JB[/QUOTE]
Old 01-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

This is a good idea. My deadbolt rattles by itself inside the door, not really where it contacts the door frame but I bet this will work!

Thanks.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDISCOVERY View Post
The solution that I have used to silence the latch noise is to encase the latch bolt in a measured section of a 5/8 inch vinyl plastic tubing fitted over the latch bolt. It stops the latch noise and tightens the latching of the door. I get about six months out of an eighteen inch section of the tubing which last cost 43 cents at a local Ace hardware. A little bit of trouble to keep doing it every so often, but it keeps it quiet.
Regards,
JB

Tags
door