Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Split in AC ductwork

We are sitting at an RV campground in sunny and hot Apache Junction. Az., and found out the duct from the AC unit between the back cap and rear bulkhead has a split in it about 2 feet long. The opening between these pieces is too small for an old chubby guy like me to get into. My question is, Is there a way to loosen the rear cap to make room enough to solve the duct problem?
thanks anyone
2003Adventur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

:welcome:
Good luck with your problem.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If it makes you feel any better this is a fairly 'common' problem with basement air Winnies. Much has been written including how to apply a seal using the limited access. Might want to search in Winnebago Owners forum.

Welcome and enjoy irv2
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:16 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

to answer your question, NO you can't "loosen" the rear cap. Good luck getting it repaired...it has been done a LOT, but I really don't know "how".
Old 03-31-2015, 01:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003Adventur View Post
We are sitting at an RV campground in sunny and hot Apache Junction. Az., and found out the duct from the AC unit between the back cap and rear bulkhead has a split in it about 2 feet long. The opening between these pieces is too small for an old chubby guy like me to get into. My question is, Is there a way to loosen the rear cap to make room enough to solve the duct problem?
thanks anyone
can you get access thru the tail light housing opening? others have installed aluminum duct tape using a stick thru this opening.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I had the same issue on my 03 33v. It helped to remove the passenger taillight.

Laying on the ground looking up, my split was on the right side seam.

The space between the rear of the duct and the inside of the cap is not very big. When I first noticed mine, I was able to wedge one of those small plastic folding table chairs to close the seam.

As a temp measure, I would remove the taillight, and try to snake one of those air matresses you use in a pool, and inflate it between the cap and duct.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post

As a temp measure, I would remove the taillight, and try to snake one of those air matresses you use in a pool, and inflate it between the cap and duct.
Very, very clever!
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post

Laying on the ground looking up, my split was on the right side seam.

The space between the rear of the duct and the inside of the cap is not very big. When I first noticed mine, I was able to wedge one of those small plastic folding table chairs to close the seam.

Now dat iz some good Cajun engineering rat dere, Cher!
Old 04-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003Adventur View Post
thanks anyone

:welcome:

Sorry you showed up in such a heat.

My '05 Vectra had the same issue twice. The shop "fixed" it the first time. DW and I fixed it the last time. I am small enough that I could get under the coach and into the duct area a bit. I came out looking like I had been fighting with a cat but we got the tape and big cable ties on. Post #6 has a great idea and I would follow his lead. Find a small guy or gal willing to do the dirty work and give them $20 for the effort. Use a good aluminum duct tape and the ties. I am certain the surface will have to be wiped down to get the dirt off.

Keep us posted. Thank.

Rick Y
Old 04-01-2015, 11:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

2003ADV,
Well Sir, in reality, yes, YOU CAN LOOSEN the rear cap. But, also in reality, if you loosen it, YOU CAN TAKE IT OFF TOO. But, without a doubt, it's a fair sized operation and, quite normally, NOT DONE AT HOME. A while ago, I had a small "boo-boo" when backing my coach at home. Someone moved my house right in the way of me backing up, imagine that!

Well, long story short, off to the local RV body repair shop. And, a mere $8500 dollars later, ALL BETTER. But, in the pictures below, you'll see just what the A/C ducting looks like with the rear cap off. When I spoke with the supervisor in charge of the repairs on my coach, he stated that, that team of body repair folks, had that rear cap off of mine, in right close to 1.5 hours.

Then, they proceeded to do much of the fiberglass repair from the inside. While it was off, since they know about the POTENTIAL A/C ducting issues, they inspected mine thoroughly. They found no leaks and no breaks. But, they cleaned the existing factory taped components and, re-taped them with newer, more modern A/C duct work tape.

Anyway, my point is, that cap can come off and, if you know what you're doing, its' apparently not all that hard to do it. But, would "I" do it, well, that remains to be seen, if and when I ever developed a serious need to do so. Below are pics of the "Boo-Boo" and, the in-progress of repair, the A/C duct work and, the finished product.

Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:37 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
2003ADV,
Well Sir, in reality, yes, YOU CAN LOOSEN the rear cap. But, also in reality, if you loosen it, YOU CAN TAKE IT OFF TOO. But, without a doubt, it's a fair sized operation and, quite normally, NOT DONE AT HOME. A while ago, I had a small "boo-boo" when backing my coach at home. Someone moved my house right in the way of me backing up, imagine that!

Well, long story short, off to the local RV body repair shop. And, a mere $8500 dollars later, ALL BETTER. But, in the pictures below, you'll see just what the A/C ducting looks like with the rear cap off. When I spoke with the supervisor in charge of the repairs on my coach, he stated that, that team of body repair folks, had that rear cap off of mine, in right close to 1.5 hours.

Then, they proceeded to do much of the fiberglass repair from the inside. While it was off, since they know about the POTENTIAL A/C ducting issues, they inspected mine thoroughly. They found no leaks and no breaks. But, they cleaned the existing factory taped components and, re-taped them with newer, more modern A/C duct work tape.

Anyway, my point is, that cap can come off and, if you know what you're doing, its' apparently not all that hard to do it. But, would "I" do it, well, that remains to be seen, if and when I ever developed a serious need to do so. Below are pics of the "Boo-Boo" and, the in-progress of repair, the A/C duct work and, the finished product.

Scott

Ouch! That had to hurt the pride bucket a bit. Wonder who move the house? Pesky rodents.

Rick Y
Old 04-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

jerichorick

Well Sir, after the damage was done, I looked for those pesky rodents for quite a while. Never did find them.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent