Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Spirit 18 maintenance schedule

Hi There,
My Spirit has 3+k miles.
What is a good rule of thumb for regular maintence of house and chassis?
Preparing for a spring Florida to New England trip.
Would like her to be in tip-too shape.
Thank you.
Jeannie
SpirSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:50 AM   #2
Itasca Owners

The maintenance schedule should be in the Ford manual that came with the RV.
We obtained all the manuals for our 2005 Spirit by downloading from Ford, Winnebago, and the various equipment suppliers respectively. While on the Winnebago site, make sure that you also get the wiring diagrams for the coach as well. They will come in handy for troubleshooting issues that come up. Onan, Norcold, Dometic, Suburban, Atwood etc. all have service manuals available for their equipment as well as the owner's manuals.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I’ve been advised that every 5k is a good norm for oil changes and fluid inspections.
SpirSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

One little interesting point may come into play if you are wanting to maintain a warranty on the RV. If that is the case, do a close check of the required things like lube and oil as some of it may seem really questionable. Like the decision on when to do an oil change----even if you have not driven it! The book may show required at six month interval so there can be some question of how to deal with this. ONE view is that it is required so we want to change oil even if it is still new oil so that we do not get into ANY question if there is a major problem. Another view is that the oil change will actually do nothing for making it last longer and the if there was a major bill, a good legal fight could win it for you.
One of those catch -22 things?
Personally, I do the oil changes as required as I sweat the cost and silliness far less than I would worry over a potential legal battle. In my mind it comes down to paying a few hundred to do the preventive work to avoid any question of who pays a few thousand if it does blow up. I do not want to even approach the idea of fighting who pays the few ($2000?) bill by paying $4000 and two years for legal help. I'm too busy for that!!
But do check the book and make the decision based on what you feel is best.
For the other portions of maintaining an RV, it takes a lot more educated guessing as to when things need work. Things like screens over the appliance outlets to keep wasps from building a nest? The small things can save you big bucks if done correctly. Miss sealing a body leak and it can cost dearly.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Sage advice.
Thank you!
Old 12-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Other than the mentioned oil changes, you should clean and top off the batteries with distilled water ..visually check each tire for cuts or sidewall damage and be sure they are correctly inflated..Talk to your mechanic and tell him / her what your travel plans are and they will perform the safety items like brake fluid and coolant and general inspection. Have the mechanic give you the inspection report so you have it in writing if there might be an issue down the road.....it may cost you a few dollars more but peace of mind when travelling is priceless....
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

More great advice.
Thanks!
While still on warranty, the dealer's service dept is performing the maintenance.
Winnie is on there now as we speak.

Tags
maintenance