Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-13-2021, 09:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Spiders in engine compartment

Check engine light came on in my 2008 Winnebago Journey while on a recent trip. Before I could pull over, it shut down like it wssn't getting fuel (diesel.) We limped back to repair shop, with it shutting off, pulling over, restart. They called to say there is a spider infestation in engine compartment. They are doing fumigation and will then resume diagnostics. Surely its a fuel delivery issue and not spiders that caused engine to shut down and then restart? How would the heat from engine running not kill them? I have heard of squirrels, rats, but not spiders. Appreciate comments, suggestions.
Liv4weekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

There is a specific type of spider which seems to hang near cotton fields. I ran into them when sent to the SE corner of Missouri where they simply call them "field spiders" but they have a nasty habit of building an extremely thick wooly web which looks very much like a cotton ball that soaks up water when there is a heavy fog. That wet cotton ball web then shorts out electrical stuff and is a real pain!

But I see very little way it gets into any fuel line but possibly might bind up the linkage.

But if there are vents or air passages, they could quite likely get into them and stop air flow, so that fuel / air mix is off???

Would a few moth balls around the engine deter them some? I might want to actually see this first!

Sorry, lots of wild guessing there!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine