Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-17-2020, 03:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Speaker replacement

Just wondering if anyone changed out the speakers on your Vista.I'm referring to the ones in the cab area in the top corners above the bunk. Was it hard to do and what did you replace them with. I have the 2018 vista 29ve. Thanks
MinnieKJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieKJB View Post
Just wondering if anyone changed out the speakers on your Vista.I'm referring to the ones in the cab area in the top corners above the bunk. Was it hard to do and what did you replace them with. I have the 2018 vista 29ve. Thanks
I will be looking at that in our 2020 vista. They are very anemic sounding, but are also not in the best location. I’ll take pictures and post next week.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog964 View Post
I will be looking at that in our 2020 vista. They are very anemic sounding, but are also not in the best location. I’ll take pictures and post next week.
Thanks I look forward to here and see what you come up with.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:07 AM   #4
Eck
Winnebago Camper

following..............
Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog964 View Post
Just wondering if you had a chance to work on replacing the speakers yet. Thanks
Old 11-27-2020, 12:38 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

We don’t have a Vista, but in ours we swapped out the wholly inadequate OEM speakers with Alpine. They were just swapped out in minutes. Made an amazing difference, and I did add some acoustic material behind the speaker where there was none.
https://www.alpine-usa.com/products/speakers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2AB61D0E-FD4B-4575-99AB-59E48432B62F.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	175992  
Old 11-27-2020, 02:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
We don’t have a Vista, but in ours we swapped out the wholly inadequate OEM speakers with Alpine. They were just swapped out in minutes. Made an amazing difference, and I did add some acoustic material behind the speaker where there was none.
https://www.alpine-usa.com/products/speakers
Thanks but it looks like yours where in a much better spot to get at them.Mine not so much.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks but it looks like yours where in a much better spot to get at them.Mine not so much.
I will see what you come up with. I have 2019 Sunstar 29VE and I have noticed the same thing. I was waiting for my warranty to expire before I did anything.

I would like to have system with a woofer added that can also work with the TV for Theatrics. I will likely have to wait until next Spring to take it by a few Audio / Sound dealership to get some ideas.

But if you are looking for ideas today, I replaced 4 speakers on my Harley with Alpine SPR-50s and SPR-60s. I think regardless of speakers you get the sound may not be what you want unless you get a amp or another sound system.

During interim, I have a wireless Bose Soundbar on the shelf that is plugged in under my TV with a 3.5 mm plug; we use the bluetooth to play music and turn radio off.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I will see what you come up with. I have 2019 Sunstar 29VE and I have noticed the same thing. I was waiting for my warranty to expire before I did anything.

I would like to have system with a woofer added that can also work with the TV for Theatrics. I will likely have to wait until next Spring to take it by a few Audio / Sound dealership to get some ideas.

But if you are looking for ideas today, I replaced 4 speakers on my Harley with Alpine SPR-50s and SPR-60s. I think regardless of speakers you get the sound may not be what you want unless you get a amp or another sound system.

During interim, I have a wireless Bose Soundbar on the shelf that is plugged in under my TV with a 3.5 mm plug; we use the bluetooth to play music and turn radio off.
I have the soundbar to. So do you play that while you are driving? One of my speakers is not working well sounds terrible So I need to replace them but there are in such a awkward spot to get to.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I have the soundbar to. So do you play that while you are driving?

Yes and no. If I am in coach by myself, I generally don't fool with the soundbar because I wish to control everything from radio. But if I have family with me, I generally turn off the radio except for Bluetooth connection for Waze on driving. I let the other play music or what TV as they wish and the use the Soundbar

One of my speakers is not working well sounds terrible So I need to replace them but there are in such a awkward spot to get to.
Replacing the two upfront speakers is safe easy step with little cost. Go with a name brand (but not their cheapest) and it will be better than what you have now. Mine are easy to get to, so I am not sure what you have? Both speakers in front are underneath the Euro Loft so it is easy do it yourself change.

A picture would help, but I would suspect that if all you want are two new speakers, most all A/V places will install with little or no cost once they see how easy it is as long as you buy speakers from them. They will also help you pick out the best 2 speakers for the area that they will fit into.

In my case, the reason why I am waiting is that I may actually replace the radio? I would like larger touch screen and maybe even Android. I would like to have the option of TV to play on the same Audio system. I am thinking at maybe a 5.1 system or so?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-28-2020, 05:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Replacing the two upfront speakers is safe easy step with little cost. Go with a name brand (but not their cheapest) and it will be better than what you have now. Mine are easy to get to, so I am not sure what you have? Both speakers in front are underneath the Euro Loft so it is easy do it yourself change.

A picture would help, but I would suspect that if all you want are two new speakers, most all A/V places will install with little or no cost once they see how easy it is as long as you buy speakers from them. They will also help you pick out the best 2 speakers for the area that they will fit into.

In my case, the reason why I am waiting is that I may actually replace the radio? I would like larger touch screen and maybe even Android. I would like to have the option of TV to play on the same Audio system. I am thinking at maybe a 5.1 system or so?

Mine are in the cabinet that is above the side windows. I took off the little panel on the side but it is really hard to get your hand and tool in the opening to take them out. Are yours not in the same place I think that they would be. How and what did you use to get them out?
Old 11-28-2020, 05:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Mine are in the cabinet that is above the side windows. I took off the little panel on the side but it is really hard to get your hand and tool in the opening to take them out. Are yours not in the same place I think that they would be. How and what did you use to get them out?
Mine are still factory stock and I have not removed. But I have looked at and looks really simple as you only need to move a few screws.

A picture would help...

But it sounds like we may have speakers in same place? When you say you took off the little panel on the side, are you referring to black speaker grill (cover for speaker)?

I will have to go back out tonight and remove the grill to see if I can see the screw to remove the speakers. I don't think it would take 10 minutes to replace both my front speakers above the side windows, but maybe I am missing something?

But my thought is even when you change the front two, you may want 2 more to be rear speakers along with a woofer to help with the acoustics. But You can spend $100 - 140 bucks now and drastically improve your sound quality.

During interim, you may find this interesting.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-nUxWiL...v-getaway.html

I will likely go to a Best Buy, Car Toys, or something similar to get ideas. They will know how to recommend speakers that will line up with the radio. Can't buy based on Watts along if radio can't push the sound to take full advantage of it.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Mine are still factory stock and I have not removed. But I have looked at and looks really simple as you only need to move a few screws.

A picture would help...

But it sounds like we may have speakers in same place? When you say you took off the little panel on the side, are you referring to black speaker grill (cover for speaker)?

I will have to go back out tonight and remove the grill to see if I can see the screw to remove the speakers. I don't think it would take 10 minutes to replace both my front speakers above the side windows, but maybe I am missing something?

But my thought is even when you change the front two, you may want 2 more to be rear speakers along with a woofer to help with the acoustics. But You can spend $100 - 140 bucks now and drastically improve your sound quality.

I will likely go to a Best Buy, Car Toys, or something similar to get ideas. They will know how to recommend speakers that will line up with the radio. Can't buy based on Watts along if radio can't push the sound to take full advantage of it.
Mine do not have the plastic grill in the front of them. It just has a peace of material on the front of them. They went and built the cabinet around them and you have to get to the screws from the back of them inside the cabinet which is in a very awkward spot. Maybe they changed things on the newer ones.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:25 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Mine do not have the plastic grill in the front of them. It just has a peace of material on the front of them. They went and built the cabinet around them and you have to get to the screws from the back of them inside the cabinet which is in a very awkward spot. Maybe they changed things on the newer ones.

I guess I am not surprised, I had been looking at 2019 29VE for a while and when I finally found one, it had several design changes that I noticed within the same year model. I got what I understand was 2nd production model of the 2019 29VE and I got things in my Coach I went to Florida to get, that I didn't know existed

i.e.
Sani Flush system
HDMI wiring with Switch through coach for all 3 TVs
MCD Shades for blackout (no curtains)
Shelf underneath TV
Digital AC/Heat controllers

I went out to coach and took a few pictures for you. It would take me 5 minutes to replace a front speaker. There are only 4 screws to remove. When I removed the grill it turns out the speaker is attached to grill so it is even easier than I thought

The Jensen speakers are nothing but junk as they are only 30 watts max I may go ahead and replace those two now just to see how better the sound may be.

Sorry, but I can't rotate the picture, the white part is bottom of Euro Loft Bed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201128_190301.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	176018   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201128_190311.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	176019  

Old 11-28-2020, 06:39 PM   #15
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:

A picture would help...

To tag onto this post, what you really want to make sure is your speaker impedance matches the audio device driving them—mine are 4 ohm.

And most importantly, is the efficiency of the speaker, expressed in db. The more efficient the speaker, the less power they need to produce sound, which means your amp works less, and has less distortion.

After I swapped out all four of my speakers for the Alpine’s, and added sound baffling in the space behind the speakers, I discarded the idea of a subwoofer—it was no longer necessary for me.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:03 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
To tag onto this post, what you really want to make sure is your speaker impedance matches the audio device driving them—mine are 4 ohm.

And most importantly, is the efficiency of the speaker, expressed in db. The more efficient the speaker, the less power they need to produce sound, which means your amp works less, and has less distortion.

After I swapped out all four of my speakers for the Alpine’s, and added sound baffling in the space behind the speakers, I discarded the idea of a subwoofer—it was no longer necessary for me.
For starters, my coach only has 2 speakers inside. They are 5 1/2" so on your Alpine line I did not see 5 1/2". I like Alpines and they may be option for me.

At current the specs I have now are ...
https://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jense...f-speaker.html

It may be decent speaker for not for me, it is only $12.99 each; so that should tell you something

In my case, I am interested in adding a 3rd & 4th speaker inside; and if I do, I will also look to do a woofer. The woofer is not so much for music, but for watching movies with surround sound 5.1 etc. I am hoping that I can somehow have a switch to play the speakers on inside with either the stock radio or inside TV? There is a Factory switch outside to turn on two speakers to output from TV outside or from inside radio.

I was going to do this next Spring, but now that I know how crappy my two front speakers are, I may try to replace those now. If I am patient, I may be able to find a wireless sound bar with woofer that can do all of this for me?
Old 11-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #17
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
For starters, my coach only has 2 speakers inside. They are 5 1/2" so on your Alpine line I did not see 5 1/2". I like Alpines and they may be option for me.

At current the specs I have now are ...
https://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jense...f-speaker.html

It may be decent speaker for not for me, it is only $12.99 each; so that should tell you something

In my case, I am interested in adding a 3rd & 4th speaker inside; and if I do, I will also look to do a woofer. The woofer is not so much for music, but for watching movies with surround sound 5.1 etc. I am hoping that I can somehow have a switch to play the speakers on inside with either the stock radio or inside TV? There is a Factory switch outside to turn on two speakers to output from TV outside or from inside radio.

I was going to do this next Spring, but now that I know how crappy my two front speakers are, I may try to replace those now. If I am patient, I may be able to find a wireless sound bar with woofer that can do all of this for me?
Looks like your current speakers are 5.25, which is a standard size, and Alpine carries that size as well.

On a side note, I use a Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the audio out jacks on the tv and pick up the signal on my in dash Pioneer receiver, that emits the sound to all four speaks with adjustable EQ and fade for all four speakers. I’m an audiofile, and it sounds pretty darn sweet to me, not my home theater set up, but hey, not bad.

IDK, a subwoofer in an RV? Might be overkill for the neighbors, these RV walls are pretty thin...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D4E8DFC9-CD2D-4C4A-841D-B0B75485112C.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	176020   Click image for larger version

Name:	7EF416A9-73C7-4DD4-96A5-EB59FDFEEBF3.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	176021  

Old 11-28-2020, 08:18 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Looks like your current speakers are 5.25, which is a standard size, and Alpine carries that size as well.

On a side note, I use a Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the audio out jacks on the tv and pick up the signal on my in dash Pioneer receiver, that emits the sound to all four speaks with adjustable EQ and fade for all four speakers. I’m an audiofile, and it sounds pretty darn sweet to me, not my home theater set up, but hey, not bad.

IDK, a subwoofer in an RV? Might be overkill for the neighbors, these RV walls are pretty thin...
Yes it is 5.25" not 5 1/2" I had a 25ft tape measure and I eyeballed it as it was cold & raining outside here. Trying to get something for the OP.

Oddly on Alpine USA website link I can find nothing of their Alpine Speaker 5.25" I know they have but I just could not find on that site which is odd? You posted a picture but not the link? I can't tell what model you found.

But for OP, his size is not verified, nor is it easy for him to remove, but if he could remove; the answer to his question may be this Alpine 5.25" I found at Best Buy?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alpine-...?skuId=1807172

For me, I only have 2 Factory Speakers inside, so I would need to add wiring and custom fit someplace for 2 more to get the sound quality of 4. But I may have to try 2 replacements of the Jensens to see how it sounds. They are cheap enough.

I will make note of bluetooth hookup to existing TV to connect to radio. Since you are an Audio guy, I think if I could wave a wand to get exactly what I want to go with my current coach configuration it would be something like this.

Dash Audio
Best quality sound speakers that will work with existing radion and fit into existing 5 5/8" cutout. I don't know if Alpine has anything better than model I saw at Best Buy. I could then live with 2 speakers as I would only use while driving.

Main Cabin TV

Find a good quality sound bar that has woofer built in that could be mounted under TV or placed on Shelf under TV. If it had two satellite speakers that would be better.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:41 PM   #19
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Yes it is 5.25" not 5 1/2" I had a 25ft tape measure and I eyeballed it as it was cold & raining outside here. Trying to get something for the OP.

Oddly on Alpine USA website link I can find nothing of their Alpine Speaker 5.25" I know they have but I just could not find on that site which is odd? You posted a picture but not the link? I can't tell what model you found.

But for OP, his size is not verified, nor is it easy for him to remove, but if he could remove; the answer to his question may be this Alpine 5.25" I found at Best Buy?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alpine-...?skuId=1807172

For me, I only have 2 Factory Speakers inside, so I would need to add wiring and custom fit someplace for 2 more to get the sound quality of 4. But I may have to try 2 replacements of the Jensens to see how it sounds. They are cheap enough.

I will make note of bluetooth hookup to existing TV to connect to radio. Since you are an Audio guy, I think if I could wave a wand to get exactly what I want to go with my current coach configuration it would be something like this.

Dash Audio
Best quality sound speakers that will work with existing radion and fit into existing 5 5/8" cutout. I don't know if Alpine has anything better than model I saw at Best Buy. I could then live with 2 speakers as I would only use while driving.

Main Cabin TV

Find a good quality sound bar that has woofer built in that could be mounted under TV or placed on Shelf under TV. If it had two satellite speakers that would be better.
Ok, here’s the link to Alpine. I’d put these up front.

https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/s-s50

But for what you want, I’d go with a soundbar. A simple one like this, may be all you need.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...20a/index.html

That said, if you have a 4K tv, you’ll need to upgrade for the signal to pass through.

This one has that ability, and would be my pick for the virtual sound alone...

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...l#product-tabs
Old 11-28-2020, 11:58 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Angry

Quote:
I guess I am not surprised, I had been looking at 2019 29VE for a while and when I finally found one, it had several design changes that I noticed within the same year model. I got what I understand was 2nd production model of the 2019 29VE and I got things in my Coach I went to Florida to get, that I didn't know existed

i.e.
Sani Flush system
HDMI wiring with Switch through coach for all 3 TVs
MCD Shades for blackout (no curtains)
Shelf underneath TV
Digital AC/Heat controllers

I went out to coach and took a few pictures for you. It would take me 5 minutes to replace a front speaker. There are only 4 screws to remove. When I removed the grill it turns out the speaker is attached to grill so it is even easier than I thought

The Jensen speakers are nothing but junk as they are only 30 watts max I may go ahead and replace those two now just to see how better the sound may be.

Sorry, but I can't rotate the picture, the white part is bottom of Euro Loft Bed.
WOW they definitely made it easier to change out yours like I said I have to get in behind mine to unscrew them.Installing new ones would be easy to do by adding them like yours from the front. Now I just need to figure out how to get mine out.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement