Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-29-2020, 07:16 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieKJB View Post
WOW they definitely made it easier to change out yours like I said I have to get in behind mine to unscrew them.

I'd like to think when Winnebago first heards I was looking at the 29VEs and waffling on the Windsport / Hurricane; they got busy with few redesigns

Installing new ones would be easy to do by adding them like yours from the front. Now I just need to figure out how to get mine out.
Is yours just like mine and in the exact same spot but just that you ASSUME the screws are in the back? I ask that way because not sure if you see an actual screw or not? One thought is that it may actually be pressure fitted and not mounted with screws? If you get a chance pictures can speak a 1000 words.

Also, on mine, there is an access panel on the left side. I believe it is to get at some part perhaps for the MCD shade or maybe part of Euro loft? But you would see that because it has obvious screws to remove the panel too.

Per your Original question...

I just bought https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpine-Type...EAAOSwFHBfkk79

Before this thread started I was expecting to spend $100 - $150 on speakers but these Alpines run about $80; when I saw that price $45 on ebay for Brand New, I decide to buy now vs wait Even if I don't like.... it is very low risk. But having seen what I really have now in those 30 watts peak Jensens, I would be forever wondering. Kicker had a pair of speakers I almost bought that might go a tad louder (90db vs 87.5db), but I wish clarity over loudness. I have bought Alpines in the past and thus far they have always been good. Besides I think the Alpines Grilles will be better look in our RV cosmetic wise.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:35 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Ok, here’s the link to Alpine. I’d put these up front.

https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/s-s50

But for what you want, I’d go with a soundbar. A simple one like this, may be all you need.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...20a/index.html

That said, if you have a 4K tv, you’ll need to upgrade for the signal to pass through.

This one has that ability, and would be my pick for the virtual sound alone...

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...l#product-tabs
Thanks Wyatt.

The S-S50s would not fit into my existing pre cut mounting holes and I didn't wish to cut out the hole any larger. I will keep the OEM speakers as backup. Additionally you had to purchase the grille separately

But I did find Alpines that fit and grilles are included https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...QaAk26EALw_wcB

I bought this set off ebay. Since I have stock radio and no amp, I am just hoping it supplies enough power for the 50 watts rms each speaker and not so much worried about the 200 watts peak for each speaker but given I only have 2 speakers, it may come in handy?

Question:

What material would you recommend to stuff behind the speakers or is it even necessary in my case? See above Post #14 of picture of my speaker box

You opened up a can of worms asking if I had a 4kTV

My Insignia TV is ok but, it was the 1st thing I was looking to replace. I am Samsung fanatic. All my TVs are Samsungs (except for RV). But the way that Insignia TV is mounted on RV wall, I could never figure out how to get it off. I gave up and settled for barely getting a 3.5mm audio cable l plugged into the back. I have the Bose Solo 5 soundbar now, but while it vastly superior over the pathetic TV speakers, if sitting in the Captain chairs the volume is not all that good, thus my wanting a new sound sound system.

I will try to listen to those Yamahas. I do think the built in woofer may be my best bet. Besides there is really no space to place a woofer on floor anywhere
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-29-2020, 11:59 AM   #23
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Thanks Wyatt.

Question:

What material would you recommend to stuff behind the speakers or is it even necessary in my case? See above Post #14 of picture of my speaker box
So behind my speakers, there was no acoustic insulation. Just a speaker mounted into a hole, like yours. The sound just bounces around in a very harsh environment if left alone and it will not be as clear or bassy.

I just used some of the sound deadening material left over from doing my doghouse cover insulation. It’s a thick ceramic material, but anything would do—foam is the choice for many speaker manufacturers. Just cut some up and stick it in behind the speakers—top, bottom and side of the enclosure.

In case I was misinterpreted, the db rating of speakers is in essence expressing their efficiency. Efficient speakers will produce more sound from an amplifier, and the reason that is important, is because the harder the amplifier has to work, the more distorted the sound it will produce. So while a higher db rated speaker will be liable to produce more volume, it will also do so more clearly.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Most of the posts above are about replacing the speakers to have better sound, I am assuming, while this is while stopped. I chose a different option. I bought two noise-canceling Bluetooth headsets. One a Sony and one a Bose. I connected these two headsets to my radio with this "TaoTronics Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter/Receiver, Wireless 3.5mm Audio Adapter (Low Latency, Pair 2 at Once, for TV/Car Sound System, Volume Control)." I bought this on Amazon.
I also bought and attached a Sirius XM receiver. Finally, we added a sound deadening blanket to the dog house. Now driving down the road I can listen to the radio, USB music attached to the radio, and SiriusXM. We can also jointly or separately listen to books on Amazon Audible from our smartphones. Obviously, you can use the headsets while stopped but they will not have the sound range and base of a set of speakers. But, and this is a big but, your neighbors will be happier.
Noah4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:02 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

I finally figured out how to get them out and now for some new ones and to try and get them back in. Going to have to do a little modification.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7933.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	176049
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7934.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	176050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7935.jpg
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	176051  

Name:	IMG_7939.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	176052  
MinnieKJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:25 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieKJB View Post
I finally figured out how to get them out and now for some new ones and to try and get them back in. Going to have to do a little modification.Attachment 176049
Glad you got them out. Thanks for the pictures although I still can't figure it out Maybe I needed the panoramic view from 3 to 5 feet out to get perspective of the detail, but no worries you seem to have it under control, hope I was helpful .
Old 12-06-2020, 02:35 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

OP made me spend some money and time

I finished my Speaker Replacement and the difference is MINDBOGGLING!!!

Night & Day, the Alpines sounds so much better and was less than $50

I guess I should replace the two outside because they are the same waterproof speakers that were inside (30 watts max absolutely pathetic) But being outside, thus far I had noticed the sound quality being that much of an issue l, but inside was nerve wrecking. My biggest thing now is trying to find Alpine waterproof speakers and what the material Winnebago uses to seal the speakers so water does not leak inside the RV? I am sure if you remove the outside speakers you will break that seal.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201202_190635.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	176118   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201202_190654.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	176119  

Old 12-06-2020, 02:46 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Ok, here’s the link to Alpine. I’d put these up front.

https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/s-s50

But for what you want, I’d go with a soundbar. A simple one like this, may be all you need.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...20a/index.html

That said, if you have a 4K tv, you’ll need to upgrade for the signal to pass through.

This one has that ability, and would be my pick for the virtual sound alone...

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...l#product-tabs
Wyatt,

You have convinced me to go with a Sound bar versus having Car Toys build some elaborate custom systems.

Both Yamaha are prolly more than I need, but I bought a Bose Solo 5 soundbar thinking it would be all I need in RV and it is subpar., Sounds good if you sitting right next to it. So I was leaning to the YAS 209 but that woofer is just too big, as I can't find anywhere to put it in my RV

So I stumbled across this today for $250.

https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-Sound-W.../dp/B08B11CBBC

It has the pass through that I may not use, but more importantly it has slim subwoofer!!! I think I could squeeze it behind the sofa and let it sit flat on the floor underneath the sofa bed, the rear speakers could sit on the shelf behind the sofa

Note: Don't let cost be a factor as I will have to ask OP to split the cost with me as I was not going to deal with any of this until next year
Old 02-10-2021, 09:38 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

MinnieKJB,

Curious how you actually removed the speaker. My 2017 29ve is like yours and while I've opened the side I couldn't figure out how to remove the actual speaker - do tell . I'd be interested in a final pic and what you used.

So looking forward to replacing the anemic speakers up front.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:29 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUSoCal View Post
MinnieKJB,

Curious how you actually removed the speaker. My 2017 29ve is like yours and while I've opened the side I couldn't figure out how to remove the actual speaker - do tell . I'd be interested in a final pic and what you used.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance.
Look at post #27

My was extremely easy, remove 4 wood screws; you can see them in the picture and it comes right out. Difference is sound quality in1 month of nights and 1 day.

I have 2019 29VE so the installs may be different. I also added a new 40" Samsung TV with a Visio Sound Bar that has Subwoofer and we have theater sounds.

I still have the same 2 outdoor speakers. I didn't fool with it because it has some kind of sealant to keep water out, and the Alpines I put in the Cab were not waterproof
Old 02-10-2021, 11:35 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

They are mounted on a peace of plywood from the inside. The plywood peace is stapled on also from the inside of the cabinet. So all I did was tap from the outside corners to remove them. Then the speaker and the plywood comes out. Then I attached the new ones to the plywood but then I had to screw the plywood peace back using 4 screws from the front.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8022.jpg
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	177267   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8021.jpg
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	177268  

Old 02-10-2021, 11:45 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUSoCal View Post
MinnieKJB,

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance.
They are mounted on a peace of plywood from the inside. The plywood peace is stapled on also from the inside of the cabinet. So all I did was tap from the outside corners to remove them. Then the speaker and the plywood comes out. Then I attached the new ones to the plywood but then I had to screw the plywood peace back using 4 screws from the front.
Attached Thumbnails

Name: IMG_8022.jpg
Views: 0
Size: 290.0 KB
ID: 177267 Click image for larger version

Name: IMG_8021.jpg
Views: 0
Size: 274.8 KB
ID: 177268
Old 02-11-2021, 09:01 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Huge thanks MinnieKJB. There's no room to work in there so I was scratching my head.

I'll buy some speakers, stuff some sound deadening behind it and call it a day.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:09 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

I replaced all 4 cab speakers in my 2017 Vista LX 30T with Alpine S-S50 5.25in. Much better sound
hclaybass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:57 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Thanks Wyatt.

The S-S50s would not fit into my existing pre cut mounting holes and I didn't wish to cut out the hole any larger. I will keep the OEM speakers as backup. Additionally you had to purchase the grille separately

But I did find Alpines that fit and grilles are included https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...QaAk26EALw_wcB

I bought this set off ebay. Since I have stock radio and no amp, I am just hoping it supplies enough power for the 50 watts rms each speaker and not so much worried about the 200 watts peak for each speaker but given I only have 2 speakers, it may come in handy?

Question:

You opened up a can of worms asking if I had a 4kTV

My Insignia TV is ok but, it was the 1st thing I was looking to replace. I am Samsung fanatic. All my TVs are Samsungs (except for RV). But the way that Insignia TV is mounted on RV wall, I could never figure out how to get it off. I gave up and settled for barely getting a 3.5mm audio cable l plugged into the back. I have the Bose Solo 5 soundbar now, but while it vastly superior over the pathetic TV speakers, if sitting in the Captain chairs the volume is not all that good, thus my wanting a new sound sound system.

I will try to listen to those Yamahas. I do think the built in woofer may be my best bet. Besides there is really no space to place a woofer on floor anywhere
On our 2019 Vista 32YE the Insignia TV in the main room is bolted to a flat metal plate. That plate sits in a lower bracket offset from the wall slightly. The top of the bracket has 5 or 6 screws at the top holding it to the wall. over that is a piece of trim screwed from the top down using four screws into another piece of wood screwed into the wall.

To get the TV off you have to unscrew the top trim piece then the screws on the back plate. The TV then lifts up and off the bottom bracket.

Just did that yesterday trying to figure out how to replace a bad HDMI cable. They don't make it easy.
Russ-USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 12:49 PM   #36
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hclaybass View Post
I replaced all 4 cab speakers in my 2017 Vista LX 30T with Alpine S-S50 5.25in. Much better sound
I have the 2016 30T and need to replace my cabin speakers. Can you tell me how you removed them from the cabinet above the loft bed? I removed the metal side panel and can’t figure how to get to those screws. Any advice? Thanks
Gun.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:29 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

On my 2017 29ve I had to pull out the panels that we're on the sidewalls to gain access then push the plywood back into the hole to finagle the speakers out and remount to the wood. The plywood holding the speakers and the cloth where just stapled in FYI.

I would shove some insulation back there to make it sound less hollow - I just put insulation in that front area too and the speakers sound much better - I had to work out a couple of vibrations but now that sound like they are supposed to.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement