Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2006, 12:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I just purchased a 2003 Minnie and only got one set of keys with it. How do I go about getting an extra set of keys for both the ignition and for the coach door locks? Do I contact Winnebago or Ford? Or can I just go get keys cut?
K9RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I just purchased a 2003 Minnie and only got one set of keys with it. How do I go about getting an extra set of keys for both the ignition and for the coach door locks? Do I contact Winnebago or Ford? Or can I just go get keys cut?
K9RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

K9RV,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new RV! Winnie will only refer you to a dealer. I ordered blanks for the door/compartment locks from Lichtsinn Motors, a dealer in Winnie's home town. I found that the local hardware/big box stores with their automated key cutters couldn't cut the blanks. Went to a local locksmith (where I should have started). He was able to make all the keys - even had a blank for my Freightliner key. Short version - try a local locksmith first and if you need blanks, give Lichtsinn a call - they're very reasonable and easy to work with.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:43 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum!

Tom is right....a locksmith is the best one to "cut" your keys.

Lichtsinn would be a great choice/source for Winnebago parts,although any local Winnebag/Itasca dealer in your neighborhood could help you as well.
Lichtsinn is known for great prices on parts,but not sure you'd save a bunch on just key blanks.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

My local dealer had extra keys for the compartments etc. Freightliner furnished my extra motor key. As Tom suggested start with you local locksmith and get a magnet box and hide a extra one on the outside. Congrats, Safe miles and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

You can get the ignition key cut anywhere.

The door/compartment key blanks are not usually stocked by Walmart, Lowe's, etc. I got mine from Lazy Days and they cut them for me. You should be able to get the blanks from just about any RV dealer. Then take the blanks to Walmart and have them cut your keys.

I always hide a spare set behind my outside refrigerator access panel. These make them easily accessible using just a coin to open the frige panel.

Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:08 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

What timing. I just returned from trying to get a spare set. As noted here Home Depot etc can do the ignition key, but that's it. Good luck on finding a store front locksmith. In Richmond all I could find were folks who had a mobile shop and no store front. There was 1 but he's not open on weekends. Steve
Old 02-25-2006, 04:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgique:
What timing. I just returned from trying to get a spare set. As noted here Home Depot etc can do the ignition key, but that's it. Good luck on finding a store front locksmith. In Richmond all I could find were folks who had a mobile shop and no store front. There was 1 but he's not open on weekends. Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ace Hardware has the Winnebago blanks in the Tampa Bay area. They are a bit more old fashioned then the Lowes and Home Depot stores and seem to carry more of the older style items.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

If you look on your compartment keys they have a number on them.. Often times the dealer will have this number in stock already cut..Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:50 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Ocean Lakes campground in South Carolina has blanks for the "House" right at the counter, and they cut keys also. Picked my extra keys up last visit. How convienent!
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:55 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

There are only ten different keys for the door/compartment lock. 0-9 (the last digit of your winnebago ser.#) is all you need to know & your winnie dealer should have them in stock. No cutting necessary.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote