Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Sound deadening

Has anyone tried to soften the noise of the Ford V10 especially when climbing mountains. If so what did you do and how sucessful was it. We have a 2014 Itasca Sun 34 ft Thank you
tomia3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #2
JBP
Winnie-Wise

I don't know what Ford or Winnebago did but the difference between the noise in our coach between the 2012 and the 2015 is significant. Climbing a step hill does not require any change in radio or conversation level in the 2015.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Get yourself a 5Star Tune to start with. Also when heading up those large hills, kick the cruise off(tap the brake pedal) and control the assent with your foot on the go pedal. Give her just enough go juice to keep her from down shifting into OMG gear and revving like a banshee. When all else fails slow down and ease on down the road. I've taken mine across country and if you keep it out of OMG gear and keep your speed down to around 57 with the cruise set it doesn't get that loud. It's not your car and it's not designed to do 75 up the hill.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

My '04 Adventurer is MUCH quieter with an added layer of insulation on the doghouse. I used the foil faced fabric kit that Camping world used to sell. WAY worth doing.

Looks like this stuff:

Don't know where to get it from though...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I used some "Dynamat" type material that I got at Jeg's or Summit Speed Shops. It has a dense material covered on one side with a silver mylar material that reflects heat and noise. It sticks very well as I did mine in '08 and it has stayed in place since. I put it all over the firewall and back to over the transmission. I then use a 3/4" foam material on the engine cover itself. Made a big difference in engine noise.

Good Luck,
Dave
Old 01-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

SuperGewl, are you aware that on late model Ford chassis the cruise resume button is also a cruise cancel button. You can press the resume button to cancel cruise control then press it again to reengage cruise control at same speed as when you canceled it. Much better than the brake or off button.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
My '04 Adventurer is MUCH quieter with an added layer of insulation on the doghouse. I used the foil faced fabric kit that Camping world used to sell. WAY worth doing.

Looks like this stuff:

I used a product just like that from rug pad usa.com called ecofiber 1/2 thick, does not have the foil backing,but under the interior carpet,works well.As a matter of fact I lined my entire basement/cargo hold with the same stuff,it's very durable,quiets a lot of road noise,cargo rides better and also keeps basement warmer.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post

Looks like this stuff:

I used this on mine and you need the aluminum side to it. The foil side goes toward the engine so it will not get wet. Leave at least 1 inch on the edges so you can use aluminum tape to seal all edges and seams. Also installed this under carpet and no more burning feet.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
I used this on mine and you need the aluminum side to it. The foil side goes toward the engine so it will not get wet. Leave at least 1 inch on the edges so you can use aluminum tape to seal all edges and seams. Also installed this under carpet and no more burning feet.
We used a double-sided foil-backed insulation and like JOHNDALE we sealed the edges with foil tape. We secured it with 3M Super Adhesive to line the doghouse and the firewall in the engine compartment. It took a little patience to cut and mold into shape, as well as when sticking it smoothly to the surfaces of the doghouse and firewall, but it was well worth it. Not only is it quieter, it is cooler in the driver/passenger cabin area.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Prior owner did my dog house. Heat and noise and not a factor for me. On my list of things to do to the coach is to add more and cover the areas under the seats and such.

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Prior owner did my dog house. Heat and noise and not a factor for me. On my list of things to do to the coach is to add more and cover the areas under the seats and such.

SWEETBRIAR, the previous owner did a great job. We didn't punch any holes in ours. We also replaced the rubber gasket that seals the doghouse. Ours had become very "nasty". Mechanics were getting sticky black residue on everything, and had creased and torn it in several places because they were not patient enough when replacing the doghouse when they finished their work. Now it fits snuggly and securely.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
On my '04 Winnebago did put some sound deadening, I added another layer. Hard to tell in your picture if that is a second layer, or just what Winnebago did. It's worth noting that some other manufacturers (and maybe some other model/years of Winnebagos) just have the bare fiberglass under there.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Ours was one of the bare fiberglass models, so you can imagine the improvement with reduced sound and heat.