Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2022, 08:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Soft ceiling falling 2005 Journey 36

2005 Winnebago Journey 36 the ceiling fabric is falling. How or what to do to put back? What type glue etc….thanks
Scouts honor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 06:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Scouts Honor: I have the same problem in my 2005 36G. I tried spraying contact cement between ceiling and material and holding it up to set while I was on the road. Didn't work. The ceiling material has a foam backing that deteriorates over time, according to local custom interior shop who replaced 3 panels in living area with new material for $3,000 in late 2021, which prevents glue from holding. He installed wood trim around the ceiling to help hold the new material up. This was a problem outside my ability to repair. I now have two more panels coming loose in the bedroom and will likely take it back to him in Jan 2023 for more repairs.
Deralde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

A common problem on our "neo-classic" models. Deralde summed up the solution nicely.

Our bedroom and bath became untenable a couple of years ago. We floundered around on this site and others. A number of solutions that were non starters for us, such as decorative tacks in patterns.

It is, after all a headliner. Luckily, we knew of a local guy, Angel's El Toro Upholstery. He was able to remove the OEM vinyl, rub off the crumbling backing, glue new backing and reinstall.

Looks like we may have him do the rest in a few months. The bed/bath was $900 then. But then was then, now is now.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 06:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Just had rapidly dropping headliner in my '08 Journey 39Z replaced with factory panels. It required removing all upper cabinets, lights, trims, etc. Was expensive, took months, but the improvement in appearance made it worth it. He replaced all the ugly vinyl stripping across ceiling with wood stained to match cabinets. I also had him make new wood frame light fixtures in the main area to replace the original cheap looking cafeteria style. They also match trim, cabinets.
Liv4weekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Did you have this work done at the Factory in IA?

I received a quote from Winnebago for $1800 to $2000 per ceiling panel a couple years ago. Can you give us a ball park number on the total replacement?
Old 11-28-2022, 04:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had a repair guy that works out of his home. The price of panels was approx same as your quote, plus his extensive labor put the price about $9,000+. Others may know how to tack liner back up, but beyond me. I wanted to make sure it looked good if I ever sell in future. The headliner backing degrades over time from heat and loses contact with ceiling. He had to remove, scrape and prep first. The interior certainly smells better.
Liv4weekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 05:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

What you have described is the only way to do it and make it last. Lots of others with other ideas from scraping it down and painting to replacing with a hard vinyl, like siding. My biggest areas of de-lamination are in the bedroom, so for now I added another support between the two main ones and have shot staples at the edges as close to the wall as I can get. Not pretty but if you don't point it out others do not notice and it keeps it from falling any worse. Not sure what my end game will be, but have thought about calling auto headliner shops.

Tags
ceiling, journey