Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Snowbird in trouble!

I was preparing to leave SoCal for the trip back to Canada today. My rig has been sat for three months so earlier this week I tested the slides, air, engine etc to ensure no surprises when time came to leave. Everything tested fine so happy me. Today, well prepared, I started bringing in the slides and the main slide on the drivers side lifts but will not retract, I have made several attempts to retract it but no go. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated. I have a mobile service coming out tomorrow but I'm sceptical about his ability.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Look for anything that might be obstructing the slides movement.
Good Luck!!
johnsonk555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchin View Post
I was preparing to leave SoCal for the trip back to Canada today. My rig has been sat for three months so earlier this week I tested the slides, air, engine etc to ensure no surprises when time came to leave. Everything tested fine so happy me. Today, well prepared, I started bringing in the slides and the main slide on the drivers side lifts but will not retract, I have made several attempts to retract it but no go. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated. I have a mobile service coming out tomorrow but I'm sceptical about his ability.
Go outside and look under the slide and visually check the entire slide path is cleared. After sitting for 3 months it is possible something was placed under there and forgotten.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Does the slide stop moving in , then on the next cycle of the control go back out ?
On my electric slide, I would go outside and lean against the slide while my DW operated the control then it would go fully in.

I had this problem and for several months , till I found and adjusted the load limit on the slide controller.
The controller limit is to shut the motor off when the slide hits the stops in or out; as the controller & motor age they require adjustment due to slightly higher power required to operate, OR higher friction in the slide mechanism due to dirt and rust.
If your slide is electric , and has a single push button for in/out , you may have this type of controller that needs a SLIGHT adjustment.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Have the engine running to insure adequate voltage, check for obstructions inside and outside.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I assume they are HWH slides? Don't know if they have a hotline but doubt you would be able to get in. How is your hydraulic level? Reservoir under entry steps. Also call your ERS and see who they suggest. Have you watched it attempt from the outside. What does it do? When the tech arrives, stay on his hip and make him show and explain everything to you. Good luck.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Had that problem with a Rig I am helping campground management with.

Now we cheated Two of us pushed on the slide while #3 pushed the button and the converter (Note absence of batteries) brought the slide in no problem.

The Batteries on this puppy could be flatter.. If you ran over 'em with a steam roller.. Electrically however they do not exist. Infinite internal resistance or close enough to it. Will not take a charge.

Suspects in your case:

Batteries (Try it still plugged in)
Connections.
LUBRICATION.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

As always you guys came up with interesting answers. Finally located the pumps and reservoir (under the steps as instructed) 3 pints of ATF later I got the slide working. It's retraction is very lumpy so there is obviously something else in addition to fluid. Now that the slide is in I will leave it that way until I get home then get it into the shop for a thorough checkup.
Thanks again for all your input.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Does the slide stop moving in , then on the next cycle of the control go back out ?
On my electric slide, I would go outside and lean against the slide while my DW operated the control then it would go fully in.

I had this problem and for several months , till I found and adjusted the load limit on the slide controller.
The controller limit is to shut the motor off when the slide hits the stops in or out; as the controller & motor age they require adjustment due to slightly higher power required to operate, OR higher friction in the slide mechanism due to dirt and rust.
If your slide is electric , and has a single push button for in/out , you may have this type of controller that needs a SLIGHT adjustment.
Where does one find this load limit adjust?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

If it was that low on fluid could you have air in the system now?
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
If it was that low on fluid could you have air in the system now?
In addition, where did 3 pints of fluid go? I would be checking for leaks, that is a lot of ATF.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:17 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

great to see the experience and expertise on this forum come together to help a snow bird....
GraniteHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

If the slide was out and you added fluid you are probably high now. Best to check with slides in and jacks up. If the tee valves are working properly the system is depressured and all the fluid back in the reservoir.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Hitchin: I think the AD floorplan has two large slides in the front like our FD. The one behind the driver is (IMO) a bit heavy for the HWH system. Early on we learned to store our lighter stuff in the basement compartments underneath that slide. We also use T9 lubricant on the glides under the floor. Our rules of thumb are:

• Keep fluids topped off (easy access under second step)
• Keep batteries fully charged (makes a big difference)
• Engine on (high idle)
• Always extend and retract that slide first (never extend/retract if coach is not level)

\ken

http://www.amazon.com/Boeshield-T-9-...ywords=t9+lube
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I did this one February (25 degrees) after a few cold days of fly fishing. We had a 1999 DS. The main slide lifted up some but would not move in. So I tilted the MH by lowering the jacks on the opposite side and the slide came right in. Obviously that reduces the load by using some gravity assist. I had to do that several times over the years that we owned it. There were never any other issues with the slide.

TeJay
Old 04-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Where does one find this load limit adjust?
Ours are located in one of the storage bays. They are mounted on the wall next to each other. We have had to adjust ours, and everything has worked fine since. A small amount of vibration can affect the controllers if they are close to the lower limit. Like said just do a very minor adjustment until they operate properly.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

We had a 2005 Itasca Horizon with an HWH system and three slides.
I thought it was just low fluid, as I added fluid and the system started working.
It turned out to be a bad Shuttle valve. Ours failed in the same way. The slides worked one day and not the next. Then two of the slides worked, then one worked, then none. We had to get a mobile RV company to come to us. The valve is located on the top of the hydraulic assembly under the front stairs.
It cost us $127 for the part and $85 for the service call.
Keith Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote