Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Smelly AC

I have a 2006 Winnebago Tour...have a bad smell from the AC unit (only when it runs, of course). We had a washer/dryer and removed it and made a closet. Do you think it could be the p trap from the unused drain line making the smell?
carandles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

That sounds reasonable, the water in the p-trap would evaporate and give you an open pipe straight into your grey tank. You can get a PVC end cap from your hardware and cap it off.
1999 Winnebago Adventurer, Sam, Judy, Grand Daughter - Kenzie, 3 spoiled Pomeranians, Bella, Tinker and Aurora - 1 spoiled JR terrier, Mayzee - 1996 Ford Explorer, Sport 2 Door, 4 wheel drive, pulls 4 down like a dream.
Sam Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hello, if the smell is only when you run the Air Conditioning the I would say it is coming from the evaporator or air filter on the unit.

I'm sure you have basement air conditioning so wherever your access is to the filter and evaporator coil you can replace the filter with new and if you can see the coil I would spray it with Clorox Cleanup with Bleach when it is not running. Let the cleaner set on the coil for a couple of minutes then rinse off with water (make sure you see this water drain from underside your motorhome, if not you might have a clogged evaporator drain). Open some windows and turn the air conditioning on and see if the odor gets better, you might have to repeat this process. Also make it a maintenance item as needed.

As far at the p-trap where the washer was you can add vegetable oil to the trap, this will not evaporate and if you ever re-install the washing machine the water will flush the oil out into the gray tank. We do this in commercial building where floor drains dry out and give off odors.

Let us know how you do..
Old 03-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

You may have a buildup of dirt, mold, moisture, and yuck in your A/C unit as a result of age and usage. If it were mine, I would remove the cover and clean the coils and condensate drain. Home Depot or Lowe's has a cleaner for the coils. I hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

For a your p trap, at local plumbing supply you should be able to buy a rubber plug that is expandable . Plumbers use them when roughing in plumbing. Can be installed and removed with a screwdriver.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Ducted A/C systems created negative pressure, so bring in odors from an empty P trap very likely.

Open a window and see if odor decreases or goes away.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

We had a mouse die in our ac vents and the smell was overwhelming. Stopped at wally world and bought a tub of odor eater absorbent ? Took the inside cover off the ac unit and placed it in the duct near the filter and left it there for a month. Would have rather found the rodent but couldn't. Good Luck
timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

For odors of all types I use the product found here.. http://www.ultraodorsgone.com/. It is the best product I have ever used.
dbeck is offline   Reply With Quote