Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slidetoppers and Pine Needles

I have covers over my slide toppers when they retract. I was on the roof to blow all the Fort Wilderness pine needles off before retracting my slides and with the wind last weekend all the pine needles blew into the covers.

My last MH did not have the covers so anything on the toppers just fell off when retracted.

This looks like a PIA to keep clean unless I am parked in an open field.

How do you get the needles and leaves out of the covers?
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We just left the Oregon coast and had the same problem. I don't think there's any way to keep them out, I end up on the roof using a leaf blower to get them out. If there's a better way, I'm all for it.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We have covers but I watch the slides go in and see the pine needles/leaves falling off as the slides come in. Where are they getting caught, is there something I'm not checking.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Used to have pine cones crushed in ours all the time. Now have covers but can see how stuff will still get caught. Was easy to take a broom (with ladder) and sweep the slide off before retracting. Will probably still do that when parked under pine trees. Have a sat dish so avoid being under trees if possible.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Unfortunately all the debris does not fall out as my full wall slide cover is now bowing out and allows more debris to get stuck. Most of the debris blew into the covers and got caught. When up on the roof, the toppers were clear. I tried blowing out the covers, but most debris stayed put.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I have the covers too and am thinking of taking them off and leaving them off. Usually, I go on the roof with a broom and clean them off before retracting but some always get caught. So maybe once a year I take two bolts out of the cover, swing it out of the way, and clear all the junk. Bad design just to "look good".
JohnCamelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Found that with our Carefree covers you can go to the end cap of the cover and remove the TOP screw on each end and the cover will then open away from the roller and you can clean out any debris that builds up under the cover. From the looks of the amount of debris in my cover it'll be a once a year task to do every fall.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Found that with our Carefree covers you can go to the end cap of the cover and remove the TOP screw on each end and the cover will then open away from the roller and you can clean out any debris that builds up under the cover. From the looks of the amount of debris in my cover it'll be a once a year task to do every fall.
True...but you'll likely still have some pine needles caught between the rollers/toppers/and the covers.

In this respect the design you see on the King Aire would seem so smart for all coaches where the topper is attached to the coach and the topper slants down to a connection to the end of the slide...almost would always be self-cleaning.

This seems like such a simple solution (reversing the topper reel 180 degrees)....when you broach the topic with multiple manufacturers, they don't seem to get it....guess it is too hard to "engineer". How did we ever build satellites and go to the moon:(
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Removing the top screw from the cover is the only way to clean the topper.
grandpatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
True...but you'll likely still have some pine needles caught between the rollers/toppers/and the covers.

In this respect the design you see on the King Aire would seem so smart for all coaches where the topper is attached to the coach and the topper slants down to a connection to the end of the slide...almost would always be self-cleaning.

This seems like such a simple solution (reversing the topper reel 180 degrees)....when you broach the topic with multiple manufacturers, they don't seem to get it....guess it is too hard to "engineer". How did we ever build satellites and go to the moon:(
Yes that is a nice feature and one I've also seen on the Country Coach Magna's, not on my Allure unfortunately . I saw a Mountain Aire recently that also had a good angle on the topper to keep them from holding water and debris.... the MA, the Essex and the King Aire have enough overall height to do that above the slide room.

On my Carefree Eclipse topper covers, I release the bottom screws and the cover hinges up to clean out the cover. It is amazing how much crud collects in there.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Yup. Me too. I just pulled the covers off and left them at my son's house. Don't look pretty but it works. I tried the "remove the screw and release the pin" thing a couple of times. That is the most ridicules system to impose upon us and in such a prone to problems area. I thought the new low profile system by Care Free looked promising. Does anyone have these yet?
Old 11-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoater View Post
I have covers over my slide toppers when they retract. I was on the roof to blow all the Fort Wilderness pine needles off before retracting my slides and with the wind last weekend all the pine needles blew into the covers.

My last MH did not have the covers so anything on the toppers just fell off when retracted.

This looks like a PIA to keep clean unless I am parked in an open field.

How do you get the needles and leaves out of the covers?

Hi XBoater
We go to the Fort often and I have noticed that the pine needle get under the slide out covers. So much do that I recently had to remove the slide awning and reattach the slide seal. I have used compressed air to blow them out.
Hey BTW I think we were there when you were. Do you remember seeing a waving Micky hand?

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We live in a pine forest, so this is a regular occurrence. I just walk the roof with a broom before we put the slides in. The needles sweep off very easy (unless they are wet or frozen). \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Just wait until your caught in a snow/sleet storm at night. you have to remove the ice before you can retract. this is a pain in the a**ss. I don't know what Winnebego and Carefree Colorado were thinking.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by erstanfo View Post
Just wait until your caught in a snow/sleet storm at night. you have to remove the ice before you can retract. this is a pain in the a**ss. I don't know what Winnebego and Carefree Colorado were thinking.
That is another good reason to loose the aluminum covers. My coach may not look as pretty but keeping junk from interfering with the toppers is more important to me. For me, working hard to avoid such weather is something I TRY to do. But, winter is so winterey.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, woke up one morning long ago too 2 inches wet snow on top of slide toppers. Good thing I carry a ladder. The toppers did not retract, weighted down on top of slide so it would not have mattered the design.

Tags
slide