Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slides retracting slowly

My living room and bedroom slides are starting to to slow and even struggle to go in and out. Has anyone had this happen and what could this mean?

07 winnebago journey
sdrtile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
electric or hydraulic?

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:13 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Do you run the engine when moving the slides? They take a lot of power. If you don;t run engine then it is probably batteries............

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Always run the engine to give the highest voltage to the slide motors whether electric or hydraulic. Also if diesel, let the engine run long enough for the engine grid heater to stay off, Watch the volt meter on the dash to see that it stays off. The grid heater pulls a lot of amps and you will see very low voltage when it is on, sometimes as low as 10 volts. This makes the motors run very slow and is very hard on the motors. If it is a gas motor home, running the engine will give full voltage from the alternator. This will also make the motors last longer.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

HI,
I have a 2011 ITASCA Model IFE 30 W Class A gas motor home. The owners manual states to have the engine running when extending or retracting the slide outs, which I always do. The two electric slides on the motor home started going in and out with a jerky motion about two years ago.

I did some on line research, and I cured the issue with "Protect All Slide-Out Dry Lube Protectant"... with the slide outs extended, following the direction on the aerosol can, I cleaned the top, sides and bottom of the inner slide tubes with whatever was recommended on the can, allowed the tubes to dry, and then I sprayed on the "Slide Out Dry Lube".

My slide outs have been extending and retracting very smoothly ever since then.
Alta Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Glad to hear the issue is resolved. Thanks for posting your followup; it may help someone else sometime.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We spray with the dry lube every 3 months or so. Helps the slide and reduces the noise as we go down the road.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

My Livingroom hydraulic slide has been getting stuck in the out position. My son gives it a big shove and then will slowly go in, it makes me nervous. The back one it perfect
2000 Winnebago Chieftain, just bought it 2 months ago
skempka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Our 2005 Journey had problems right from the start when we purchased it used in 2013. They tried in vain at our local shop to fix it. They replaced the pads and it still struggled to come in on the driver's side slide. We went on a trip last year and the slides got stuck out at our 2nd stop. We came home. The motor had burned out from us trying to get it to come in.
Our local rv place replaced the motor but it still continued to do the same thing. We took it to the factory in Junction City Oregon for a diagnosis. After 4 years of dealing with this they were able to finally fix it in 2 weeks.
The problem was the pads were cracked again and needed replacing and the shims in the slide were not placed evenly. There were 2 on one side and 5 on the other. Once this was fixed, no more problems. Please take to the factory and see why this is happening to you before you really get stuck. We had to have a mobile mechanic come out and push our slides in once the motor burned out. They didn't know what they were doing and it took them twice as long to push them back in. It cost us 1400. Hopefully it will be a easy fix for you. We will never trust our slides to anyone except the factory from now on. We are going there in a couple of weeks to have them replace our slide seals.
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:44 AM   #10

If you have an HWH Slideout with cracked "shoes" here is a youtube.com video from a very nice person who deserves our applause, because as our fleet ages this type of repair will be necessary sooner or later:

and this one...

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Have you lubricated them?
Old 06-25-2018, 12:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hubby does use a slide lube on them from time to time. I'm sure the factory will do maintenance on them when we take it to them in a couple of weeks for replacement of our seals. After all the problems we had for the first 4 years of our owning this rig we will only trust the factory to repair it. We have learned our lesson the hard way….
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I guess the OP (Original Poster) got it fixed. They never came back to post again.

Thanks to the person who posted the video on fixes.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide