Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2021, 08:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Slideout Window Blinds Coming Loose

There's a nice set of window blinds behind the slideout dinette on our 2016 Navion 24J.... but one side came loose from the overhead and I am looking for the best way to fix it so this won't happen again.

Here's what it looks like to me.....
It looks like the whole rather heavy blind assembly is held in place by being snapped into two spring clips - each one about 6" in from the end of the blind. Each spring clip has only a single screw that is screwed into the floor (particle board) of the storage compartment above the dinette. The particle board is thin, which means the spring clip mountngs crews are short - and one has stripped out so that so the blind is just hanging by one clip rather than two.

I could just move the spring clip....It's not a bad system, but it could certainly be made to be more sturdy. I just can't help wanting to make things better when I fix them.

I'm guessing that I'm not the first Navion owner to deal with this, so am hoping to hear from others.
rScotty
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

My "couch/slide" window blind (forward driver side on dual pane acrylic window) pulled free from the horizontal aluminum bar that raises and lowers it. It didn't seem too well anchored to begin with, add some hot temps inside in the summer, and it eventually failed and separated. So, I repaired it by using some 3M VHB 1" wide double sided tape (the stuff folks use to secure solar panels to their roof without drilling holes) on the top edge of the blind to the bottom surface of the raise/lower guide, and it's held just fine ever since. I've got tape leftover to do the other 3 windows if/when they fail.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
My "couch/slide" window blind (forward driver side on dual pane acrylic window) pulled free from the horizontal aluminum bar that raises and lowers it. It didn't seem too well anchored to begin with, add some hot temps inside in the summer, and it eventually failed and separated. So, I repaired it by using some 3M VHB 1" wide double sided tape (the stuff folks use to secure solar panels to their roof without drilling holes) on the top edge of the blind to the bottom surface of the raise/lower guide, and it's held just fine ever since. I've got tape leftover to do the other 3 windows if/when they fail.
That's a clever idea, and ought to work for my own repair: affixing the spring clip that holds the front of the blind assembly to the bottom of the overhead cabinet.
I was going to use some sort of better bolted system and still may, but the VHB will hold it until I get to it. Maybe indefinitely...
Thanks,
rScotty
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

No problem. It wasn't a cheap fix, at least here in People's Republik of Canuckistan. I think this was the stuff I got, the clear stuff, but there's a white foam padded version that's a little thicker, too. None of the big box reno or hardware stores had it, IIRC. It wasn't easy either, trying to apply it evenly and exactly on top of the top of the flimsy blinds. Once done, I just pressed the rail down on top of it. Fini!
https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/D...AR/p/WWG15C305
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout, window