Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-31-2005, 05:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I tried a search and foun nothing, but yet I remember reading some posts about this.

Anyway I had a water leak at the bottom corners of our living room slideout. It happened only in a downpour with the slide out.

I contacted Winnebago who informed me that they had been getting feedback on this for awhile. As a result they introduced an improved seal gasket on their slideouts in some early 2005 models.

I asked if there was fix for my 2004 Sightseer and they said yes and to take it to my dealer for a no cost repair.

My dealer looked into it with Winnebago and was shipped a kit. It took them almost a week, but they completely replaced the seals and gaskets. They did a water leak test with the slide out and in. I rechecked it myself at home and I cannot get it to leak either.

Great job Winnebago !!
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:06 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I tried a search and foun nothing, but yet I remember reading some posts about this.

Anyway I had a water leak at the bottom corners of our living room slideout. It happened only in a downpour with the slide out.

I contacted Winnebago who informed me that they had been getting feedback on this for awhile. As a result they introduced an improved seal gasket on their slideouts in some early 2005 models.

I asked if there was fix for my 2004 Sightseer and they said yes and to take it to my dealer for a no cost repair.

My dealer looked into it with Winnebago and was shipped a kit. It took them almost a week, but they completely replaced the seals and gaskets. They did a water leak test with the slide out and in. I rechecked it myself at home and I cannot get it to leak either.

Great job Winnebago !!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

That is good new for you. I can tell you their 'new and improved seal' doesn't work in every case. My bedroom slide leaks and has since the coach was new. While on our first long trip (we just got back home yesterday from a month out), we discovered a new leak in the starboard living room slide.

I originally wanted to wait until our trip to Forest City this spring to get the leaks fixed, but we are going to give Lazy Days a shot at fixing them late Nov.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Please post what the results were...I am sure there are others with the same headache.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had a bedroom slide leak for which I had my coach back to Forest City four times, and each time it still leaked. I figured that since Winnebago had changed the seals four time it wasn't the seal and decided to investigate myself. I found that the outboard flange on the roof of the slide should have screws every six inches, but mine had only three screws in total. I ran a bead of silicone along the seam and installed about a dozen new screws, and guess what..... no more leak. I figured what I think may have happened, one of the holes missing a screw had a screw broken off in it. I figure the installer stopped installing screws when one broke off. Don't know how many other coaches may have this type of problem, but don't just look at slide seals for your leak. Four Winnebago factory techs didn't notice the real problem because they had already decided the seals must be the problem before they started working on the coach.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Pat - that's a good bit of advice. I need to do a microscopic examination of everything associated with the slide.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 04:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

John,

does your coach have double seals?

Winne has developed a double seal, on the rear bedroom slide the outer seal hangs down off the side of the room and creates a drip rail that the water follows.

They put them on our coach when we were at the factory in Sept. So far so good

Cheers

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote