Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-22-2010, 12:39 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelpo View Post
this is a follow up on this thread. Does Jim still have the pics, since I can
only see a couple pics?

Also, has anybody since the end of the thread replaced their bushing themselves?

Thanks,

Phelpo
I talked with Jim and he took a look to restore them, no luck ......sorry the pictures are gone.

Bill
Old 12-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

so has anyone replaced theirs themselves???
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Two of my slideouts (Bed and wardrobe) are "Accu-Slide" units. (These are cable cars) they seem t have "Dropped" about an inch from what they were new (Well half inch perhaps, top seal no longer contacts top of slide out, allowing rain to enter bedroom next to wife's side of the bed)

Any suggestions?
Old 12-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Since the pictures are now 'gone', did anyone save them to a file while the pictures were available in the thread?

Thank you - RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Also has anyone ordered a set of the nylon bushings lately and received the black ones? I ordered a set back in October of 2008 when jimandsue did their replacement and received the white ones. When I called back and asked if I could exchange them for the black ones I was told they had no idea what I was talking about since all their replacements were white.

I have been carrying mine with me so far just in case one of them really breaks up while on a trip (one of them was broken in half and turned sideways back in 2008 but hasn't changed any and is still supporting the ram) and needs to be replaced immediately in which case it usually takes a dealer several days to a week or two to receive replacement parts.

I would like to exchange my white ones for the new black ones but I suppose HWH wouldn't do the trade now after 2 years.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
Since the pictures are now 'gone', did anyone save them to a file while the pictures were available in the thread?

Thank you - RT
I think I found them and will repost in a day or 2.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Since I can not edit the original post I am reposting with images here.

Jim

I have been having some problems with my slideout nylon supports. They seem to crack and break off. Winnebago replaced some of them when we were at the factory. I called HWH and they said they had a new style that might work better. They sent replacements. The new ones are black versus the white original nylon pads. I took some photos while I did the replacement. I replaced 8 nylon pads. My coach has 2 large slides with 2 main supports fore and aft on each slide. Each lower support has 2 nylon guides. I think the 2008 models have a solid guide which would probably eliminate this problem.

My left slide has a backing plate that needs to be removed to access the upper nylon support. Removing the 4, 1/4 inch bolts and nuts was fairly easy.

Once the backing plate was removed I removed the 5/16th inch bolt which allowed the nylon bushings to be removed.

Once the upper nylon bushings are removed the slide support can be jacked up to allow access to remove the lower (problem) bushings.

After the slide support is jacked up about 3/4 of an inch the lower nylon bushings can be popped out using a small pick.

It is a little hard to see but this image shows the new black nylon bushings installed.

After this everything goes back together as it was removed.

I used a small bottle jack and a modified hand rail 4x4 to lift the slide support.

I did not dream this method up but it was given to me by Winnebago and HWH although neither would put it in writing.

Here is a picture of the broken nylon bushings and the new bushings supplied by HWH.

This took me about an hour to replace 8 bushings. I am sure not everyone who has this issue would want to tackle this themselves. Extreme caution should be used anytime a jack is being used. This is not intended to be a replacement for bringing the coach to a shop but just to show how I did the repair.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Great info Jim. Thanks for sharing.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #29
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Jim and Sue..when you say you replaced 8 bushings, where do you get 8 from Could you detail the 8 locations? ie. left arm outer upper, lower etc...thanks Rkl
Old 12-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Jim, a big thank you for finding those pics. Since I have a 2004 Vectra,
I'm sure the process you went thru will not work for me. One of the lower
bushing is in three pieces, but still there. I haven't found anyone with a
2003 to 2005 who has completed this task by themself.

Thanks again, this is why the forum is soooo great, people helping others,
the Cristmas spirit.

Phelpo
Old 12-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Mercy Jim, i sure wish the older Winnebagos were that easy to change. Some say even at Forest City it takes the Tech over a day to change the bushings on two slides and may even involve some cutting and welding. I have a 2004 Meridian and FC tells me one procedure to change them and HWH another way. The upper bushing that is so easy on yours to remove is almost completely hidden on mine with no visible bolts holding it. Without actually seeing mine, I had one Winny dealer say it would probably take 4-5 hours to change the outer lower bushings on the main slide only at $95/hour. It almost looks like the bushings were all installed before the room was attached to the coach.

Wagonmaster2
Old 12-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelpo View Post
Jim, a big thank you for finding those pics. Since I have a 2004 Vectra,
I'm sure the process you went thru will not work for me. One of the lower
bushing is in three pieces, but still there. I haven't found anyone with a
2003 to 2005 who has completed this task by themself.

Thanks again, this is why the forum is soooo great, people helping others,
the Cristmas spirit.

Phelpo
Same here Phelpo. I have a 2004 Itasca Meridian 36G and have been trying for a couple of years to find someone who either did it themselves or was allowed in the shop to watch it being done. One of mine has split and turned sideways but still supporting the ram. I'm always careful to keep the bottoms of the rams polished, cleaned, and siliconed before running them back in hoping it will help keep the broken one in place.

Wagonmaster2
Old 12-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Ok Wagonmaster, circle the 2003 -2005's and lets meet at a warm winter location, how about Ocala, Fl....Wilderness RV Resort in fact, and we can figure
out how in the heck to fix these dang things??????????

Phelpo
Old 12-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

We might need someplace cheaper than Ft Wilderness as the wagon train might be miles long from all the responses I've seen and the repairs could take several weeks if the report from Forest City is right that it can take two days for one coach.

Wagonmaster2
Old 12-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

I just had the nylon pads replaced on the big slide on my 38J at Forest City. I think there was something more serious that had to be fixed as well because they had to pull the slide right out and it took two days and $2000 to the extended warranty company. While I was there someone came in with the identical unit for the same problem. He said it was his fifth time for that repair.
I'm wondering if maybe it's not such a good idea to carry my heavy tools and air compressor in the compartments on this slide? Maybe the weight of the kitchen cabinets, stove, microwave plus tools etc. in the storage compartment is just too much.
Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Hey Wagon man, not Ft Wilderness, Wilderness Rv resort in Silver Springs,
low budget place. But it was not warm there today, 21 degrees.....damn how about
Cuba?????

Phelpo
Old 12-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

I realize that this is an old post but if anyone still has the pictures I would love to see them. Only the first picture is viewable. Thanks.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:43 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch14me View Post
I realize that this is an old post but if anyone still has the pictures I would love to see them. Only the first picture is viewable. Thanks.
If you look at Reply #27, you'll find that Jim re-posted all 8 pictures.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 12-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #39
Winnebago TT

I have a 2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD...the nylon bushings on the kitchen side were crumbling, so I purchased a set of replacement bushings from LaMesa and attempted to RNR them myself. With directions from HWH, all I needed to do was jack up the slideout, remove the upper bushing, the drop it down to expose the lower one. Well, I tried this...I was able to remove the upper, but the lower had a piece of metal that prevented it from sliding out. So I took it to a local repair shop for them to repair and come to find out the entire slide had to be removed, then the ram...all in all it took them about 8 hours of labor to replace to upper and two lower nylon bushings. I have an extended warranty which at the $1500.00 repair bill.
ScottLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #40
Winnie-Wise

Sorry to tickle an old thread but I might have this problem.

What is the observed symptom of this? My living room slide is jerky (binding) when it is being extended and seems to be getting worse.

Does this line up with bad bushings? I am going out to examine my bushings but I am not sure exactly what to look for.