Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slideout Height Adjustment

I have searched this at some length on this forum and STILL need help. I have a 2005 Adventurer 38J with an alignment problem on the kitchen slideout. The rear end has lowered about a half inch. This is evidenced by the misalignment of the outside trim running down the coach. Inside the floor is dropped too much in front of the stove. I have redone the vinyl flooring by adding new peel and stick on top of the original. That added only 1/8 inch but now the slide catches it when retracting. I have read and reread the Winnebago bulletin SLIDEOUT ROOM ADJUSTMENT GUIDE. Still confused as to how to do it. My slide is the flat floor type in that it drops down when fully extended to make a flat floor with no stepup. Do I simply adjust the allen head bolt on one end of the ram and the single stud on the other end? And do I need to use a bottle jack to take the load off these bolts while adjusting? I don't want to do something wrong and wind up with it worse instead of better. Forest City is over 1500 miles away!!
Old 10-23-2015, 09:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not sure which slides you have. I have Power Gear and on the large slide, there are two motor drive rams and a third passive ram (no motor) in the center. The bolt holding the center ram roller fractured and the slide dropped slightly in the center. I would check the support bolt holding the ram roller in question to see if it has fractured. If it has, it needs to be welded back together. If it is OK, I would contact Winn to see how you adjust the level. Evidently, fracture of these bolts is not uncommon. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My slide has two HWH rams with only one at each end. There are rollers on the end in question but all looks well with them. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sounds like the nylon support tabs have failed.

Read wgusa's thread about replacing them, there was just a post added to it this morning.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the good info. Here is a pic of the outside trim at the rear of the slide. That is about 1/2 inch misaligned. Next is a pic of the nylon insert in the rear ram. It does not look like the wear in the insert could cause that much drop as shown by the trim misalignment. Am I thinking right here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA230226.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	110242   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA230227.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	110243  

Old 10-26-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I would contact hwh in moscow, iowa and ask them. They have a great technical staff.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I called HWH yesterday and ask for tech assist. The young lady said she would take my info and I would get a return call sometime in the next TWO OR THREE WEEKS!!! Anybody looking for a job??
Old 11-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

HWH is all backed up. They told me 4week callback list.

I see that the nylon pads are warn about the same as the sag picture. I know they can be replaced fairly easily but I don't know how. I hope someone here has experience with the procedure. I might suggest calling Winnebago support but as of late I have not heard all the good things about them as in years past. I guess it is worth the try.

Another suggestion. Look closely at the slide rail. On the far end is a adjustment bolt. You might consider trying to adjust it.

Rick Y
Old 11-01-2015, 06:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I received a call from AZPETE(Paul) who works for HWH. Paul called not as a rep. of HWH but as a fellow RVer. He was most helpful with his advice including pics as to what I needed to do. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to give it a try. Thank you again Paul.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
I received a call from AZPETE(Paul) who works for HWH. Paul called not as a rep. of HWH but as a fellow RVer. He was most helpful with his advice including pics as to what I needed to do. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to give it a try. Thank you again Paul.
Please post the pictures here if you can. Many folks will gain great knowledge from your input. Thanks.

Rick Y
Old 11-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

OK, here goes. The first pic shows my problem. The kitchen slide has dropped on the rear end. Paul (AZPETE) who works for HWH and monitors our cries for help on this forum has helped with some instructions on how to fix this problem. What I will be doing is adjusting the ram mechanism up on the low end. This mechanism is bolted to the main floor of the coach and runs the slide out and in. The second pic shows the bolts that need to be run up. There is one on each side of the ram support. There is a jam nut on top that must be loosened first and the bottom nut then can be run up. I am sure there needs to be a jack put in place to support the ram in order to take the load off. The third pic shows the gussets that will have to be loosened a bit in order for the mechanism to move upward.

I am unable to do this adjustment today but will "GET ER DONE" in the next couple days. I am posting this today so anybody that is in the same fix I am might see how to do it. I will include more pics on job day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA230225.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	111016   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151102_132119.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	111017  

Name:	20151102_132831.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	111018  
Old 11-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Well, pics 2 and 3 need to be rotated clockwise but you get the idea. The 2 shiny bolt heads are the gusset bolts.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I have a similar problem except my kitchen end drops when fully extended. it fine when retracted. It leaves about 1/2" open at the top so the seal doesn't stop rain if we are not leveled. also lets bugs in and allows heat to escape. seems like there is some type of ledge below the kitchen area, that the kitchen is supposed to rise up to when extended. I think I have to remove the entire slide out beyond the lip ledge to repair.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:18 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

jerboy: I think I have the same HWH mechanism that you do. I have noticed the last couple of times that we have retracted our largest slide that it appears to catch on something as it moves upward before coming in. So far, all of the paint/panels are still lined up, but I wonder if I am in the early stages of what you are describing?

Thanks for posting your successes through this project.

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:57 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Did this work for you? We are in need of help with what sounds like the same problem.
Laurachrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:43 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
Thanks for the good info. Here is a pic of the outside trim at the rear of the slide. That is about 1/2 inch misaligned. Next is a pic of the nylon insert in the rear ram. It does not look like the wear in the insert could cause that much drop as shown by the trim misalignment. Am I thinking right here?
By chance do you have basement compartments hanging from the slide? If so, check all of the hanger bolts. They have a habit of breaking.

Check with HWH for the correct alignment procedure. I find their site a bit hard to navigate. The Winne hotline might be of some assistance.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I'm following this..I have a 2004 38r with the same issue.. The molding at the bottom in buckling..
Rvtripping54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

One thing to note, for those with HWH slides, is the pads wear out and the slide ram bucket fails. This happened to me on my '05 Vectra. The slide would not go in. The bucket was bent and the ram was not aligned correctly. Also, keep an eye on the basement hanger bolts. They tend to break. Happened to me on that rig.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:39 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

I too have search up and down for answers to my very similar problem on a 2005 Adventure 35u, living room slide, corner closes to driver on driver side. The slide is sitting about a half inch low. I am looking for additional photos of this procedure, additional info, etc. The model I have has the storemore slide.

Who is the AZPEAT mentioned, does anyone know of the photos sent to the OP of this post and if they exist on here?

Thanks for any assistance.
Joe.phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.phil View Post
I too have search up and down for answers to my very similar problem on a 2005 Adventure 35u, living room slide, corner closes to driver on driver side. The slide is sitting about a half inch low. I am looking for additional photos of this procedure, additional info, etc. The model I have has the storemore slide.

Who is the AZPEAT mentioned, does anyone know of the photos sent to the OP of this post and if they exist on here?

Thanks for any assistance.

Winnebago Owners Online Community - View Profile: azpete
I don't know if this works but it is worth a try:
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm
I know the pads ware out. I have had them replaced but have never done it myself.
Give close attention to all of the slide track hanger bolts and basement hanger bolts. They have a history of breaking.

Tags
slide, slideout