Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2006, 05:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Last summer we noticed that the outside of the awning of the big slide out seemed to be "peeling" when it was still rolled up. We patched it up with white ducttape.
This spring, when we put out the bedroom slide, the awning over it had big pieces of the upper surface that were completely loose. It seems the awning material is in layers and they are separating . Again we used the white tape to patch it up. It looks pretty bad since it is on the leading edge and looks rippled when the slide is out.
Yes the awning fabric can be replaced for $300 or so each but we think that this should not be happening to a 3 year old coach.
I have not seen anything written about this problem. Are we the only ones???

Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Last summer we noticed that the outside of the awning of the big slide out seemed to be "peeling" when it was still rolled up. We patched it up with white ducttape.
This spring, when we put out the bedroom slide, the awning over it had big pieces of the upper surface that were completely loose. It seems the awning material is in layers and they are separating . Again we used the white tape to patch it up. It looks pretty bad since it is on the leading edge and looks rippled when the slide is out.
Yes the awning fabric can be replaced for $300 or so each but we think that this should not be happening to a 3 year old coach.
I have not seen anything written about this problem. Are we the only ones???

Old 04-29-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

No your not alone from I've read before this is a common problem with A&E Toppers. I keep a sharp eye on ours and have made a few touch-ups especially to the leading edge when the slids are in and they catch wind when going 60 plus MPH down the highway. I used pool patch vinyl and the cement that comes in the pack. After it dried I used some white enamel paint and brushed it on over the patch.Used a couple light coats. It's been good now for 1 year with no problems.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 01:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Mine delaminated before I was out of warranty and Dometic replaced both of them. They have a 3 year warranty on parts(at least on the power pro) so I would sure give them a call. They musta had some bad cloth in 03 and maybe they can stretch the warranty a bit to suit you...Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

As ichn2go says I think they had some bad material.
They just authorized the replacement of the toppers for a friend of mine with an 03 motorhome for no charge. He called their customer service department and mentioned he had heard they had some bad material.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:16 AM   #6
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Ours is 3 1/2 years old I noticed it on both slides livingroom and bedroom at the front and back of each. I patched it with the white duct tape. I hope it holds for a while. You are correct, some of the things that deteriorate in a short period of time just should not go bad so quickly. It seems as though Winnebago does not care. We see the same problems occurring over and over again for the past several years with no improvement.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

At 3 years mine is beginning to show a little wear. I guess it's from the flapping that occurs. BTW I see that GG1 is from NJ, why not come down to the Rally in Cape May??

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Wow, such a response in a short time. I will give the company a call tomorrow. I had no idea so many others had a problem too.
Thanks everyone. We originally had planned to go to the factory for other stuff and they were the ones that quoted us the $$$.
I will give them a call tomorrow or sometime this week ( Well be on the road tomorrow). I'll keep you posted!!
Thanks again

Old 04-30-2006, 09:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Both my kitchen and bedroom slides have had the awnings replaced at 3 years.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 03:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Both my kitchen and bedroom slides have had the awnings replaced at 3 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

By Dometic for free????

Old 05-01-2006, 03:24 AM   #11
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Petro

Who paid for the replacement you or Winnebago?
Old 05-16-2006, 09:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I had my fabric toppers on both slideouts replaced after 2 years. Dometic replaced both at no charge. I only had to pay the labor to put them on. Dometic was very pleasant to deal with, and asked me to submit pics. I called Winnebago for the part numbers and it was a done deal!

8.1 litre
simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Why is CG! blaming Winnebago for a product that is made by a vendor? The awning manufacturer (Dometic or A&E) is who his complaint should be directed to. I agree that the product he and several others that are reported should not delaminate. I just feel that the problem should be directed at the proper company.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:12 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DSouthw524:
Why is CG! blaming Winnebago for a product that is made by a vendor? The awning manufacturer (Dometic or A&E) is who his complaint should be directed to. I agree that the product he and several others that are reported should not delaminate. I just feel that the problem should be directed at the proper company. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don, you make a very good point....

I can assure CG1 that Winnebago does indeed care,as they have taken the time to respond to MANY folks that post their issues here,or even ones that have contacted their Owner Relations folks by phone. I took the time to post a "sticky" at the top of the Winnebago Owners Forum, entitled "Ever wonder who to call at Winnebago" and would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that ANYONE with an issue with something in or on their Winnebago product MAKE THAT CALL....

While email is an "acceptable" form of communication "after" making the first call a lot of times, Winnebago recommends you CALL FIRST and talk to someone,so the "right" questions and answers can be exchanged in a more timely manner.
I myself have not only seen the Service Center office in person where they answer these calls, I've used the "system" and had good results.

When I bought my coach,I was told that someone from Winnebago fills out ALL the warranty serial numbers and files them,so that when I have an issue with a vendor product, WINNEBAGO can be the first intermediary...

MAKE THE CALL and get the ball rolling....You'll be glad you did.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:49 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Winnebago is not perfect nor is any of the manufacturers. What seems to carry a lot of weight with the Builders is that you <STRIKE>do</STRIKE> log a complaint even if there is nothing to be done at the time.
Later, if you have a real problem in that area they will have it on your coaches record that you were having a problem. This is how many things get fixed out of warranty. You told them about it before the warranty expired. Fl encourages the same thing. As has been previously said,give the customer service folks a call and do yourself a favor..Good and Safe Miles and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:51 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

The rest of the story...
After some trying I finally talk to someone at Dometic in the tech service and warranty dept.
After explaining the situation with the 2 slide toppers I was told that they have a 2 year warrranty and they would add 6 months...
He neither denied or agreed that there was a problem with the '03 fabric!!!
My first probem was last summer, well within the 2 1/2 years but since I had not contacted them I was not "in the system".
To help out he agreed we could have both new toppers for 1/2 price...(under $200. together)
I could not order through them but had to contact a local dealer that he suggested. We gave lenght and color but for some reason he needed the serial number that was on the metal roller under the fabric!!
We ended up cutting the toppers lose so we could get to the serial numbers!!!
A neighbor at out RV parking place just that day had replaced his 03 topper and assured us it was easy to do!!!!

Our 2 new toppers arrived at the dealer yesterday and we have them now.
If it turns out to be more than we can handle we'll ask Winnebago to put them on when we are at the factory in June for other repairs. Hopefully they will not charge us the $85. per hour!!

So it seems.. YES there is a problem with delamination, Yes they will help IF you contact Dometic within the right time frame

And I'm making copies of the serial numbers before we put the new topper up!!!!!