Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 04:04 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Slide Toppers

Yesterday I watched the rig across from us packing up. He climbed up on the roof and brushed the water and leaves off of his slide topper. I had never seen this done before so I asked him why. He told me his friend told him to do this so nothing would be caught in the topper when it came in.

We have had slide toppers for decades and never did this, saw anyone do this or even thought about doing this.

Comments?

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I fabricated an angled broom so I could do this without having to climb on the roof. You need a broom, a painter's pole, a block of wood, and some basic woodworking tools to fabricate. Came in very handy with my 4 slide Phaeton. Haven't had a use for it with my Navion since I only have one slide.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:00 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We normally try to avoid parking under trees that would have leaves and branches falling on our slide toppers. But once in a while, it happens. (especially in the fall)

If we do get lots of leaves and branches falling around the RV, I do check the toppers, and sweep off if necessary.

And once in a great while, we have had small frozen puddles on the toppers to deal with. A whole different problem, usually handled with the rising sun, or water spray.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I check them especially for lizards and frogs which can get quite rank if they hang on and get wrapped up in them instead of falling off. Rotting leaves or pine needles caught in the toppers can attract termites and carpenter ants too.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Have had RV's with slide toppers since 2005 and never done this...and never had anything get caught in topper when retracting slide. With the topper roller being mounted on slide and direction it rolls up, stuff just falls off when slide is retracting.

We were camping one winter and rain water had frozen on top of slide topper. I was outside unhooking utilities while wife was inside letting slide in. A huge chunk of ice rolled of topper and almost hit me! I stand back when she's bringing in slide now
blifsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blifsey View Post
Have had RV's with slide toppers since 2005 and never done this...and never had anything get caught in topper when retracting slide. With the topper roller being mounted on slide and direction it rolls up, stuff just falls off when slide is retracting.

We were camping one winter and rain water had frozen on top of slide topper. I was outside unhooking utilities while wife was inside letting slide in. A huge chunk of ice rolled of topper and almost hit me! I stand back when she's bringing in slide now
There are exceptions however its not guaranteed that all the debris is going to fall off. Many things will not fall off when wet or damp though and its absolutely lousy when its a good sized cold blooded animal that gets wrapped up in the topper. Once one rots and festers inside a rolled up topper you'll be triply sure to check and brush them off to prevent a repeat.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
There are exceptions however its not guaranteed that all the debris is going to fall off. Many things will not fall off when wet or damp though and its absolutely lousy when its a good sized cold blooded animal that gets wrapped up in the topper. Once one rots and festers inside a rolled up topper you'll be triply sure to check and brush them off to prevent a repeat.
So, you've actually rolled up a "good sized cold blooded animal" in a slide topper before?

As I said, I've not had an issue like that and will maintain my practice until I do.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blifsey View Post
So, you've actually rolled up a "good sized cold blooded animal" in a slide topper before?

As I said, I've not had an issue like that and will maintain my practice until I do.
Yep and it was not until we noticed the stench during a few weeks in storage in 90 degree weather after driving back from New England in the Fall to Florida that we discovered it . It was even worse when we opened the slide and it was pure misery cleaning it out and getting rid of the stink especially on the underside of the topper where it was hardest to get too. Of coursed it was in the middle right near the roller when the slide was fully extended.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like a yucky situation!

Tags
slide