Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-20-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question Slide Topper Material Supplier

It's come time to replace the slide topper material on our '04 Adventurer dinette/couch slide

I've looked through the forums on iRV2 and determined that I can do the replacement by myself (with a little help.)

Question: can someone recommend a reputable supplier of replacement material I'm in So Kali so a west coast supplier would be beneficial to reduce shipping costs.

Thanks....
Old 04-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Call camping world
tims52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
RV Slide Out Awning Fabric
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Someone gave me this link a couple of years back.

RV Slide Out Awnings, Replacement Fabric

Dickie n Kay
2006 Tour 40DK
2009 HHR
Dickie n Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Give these guys a call. They ship anywhere and the price was much better than one quoted from Newmar. They are in Indiana but give good service.

All Seasons 800-348-7697
Old 04-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Just order my from Tough Top Awnings, E-mail [email protected]
Johnxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Slide toppers

We purchased the bedroom slide & dinette/couch slide from "tough Tops " Ray @ 480-773-2978 for our 05 Itasca sunrise 33V.Good quality, they arrived within 5 days both slide for under $280 dollars.Just need better weather here in the NW so I can install them.
fun 33V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Two thoughts:
1st, if you order from someone, make sure you correctly specify the size of the replacement fabric. The width is espeically important. You must know if the company you order from wants the measurement of the actual fabric or the width of the mount. If you specify the mount width, they will reduce the fabric width by about 3/4 inch on each side.
2nd, be very careful when dealing with awnings. The springs in some of the rollers, expecially on mechnical awnings, are very powerful and you could eaisly damage your coach, the awning hardware or worse injure yourself or your helpers if it gets away from you. At a minimum, you need two people and a couple of large stable ladders. I speak from experience.

This isn't a highly technical task but it definitely needs to be undertaken with a measure of care.

Best of luck!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I went to a local awning shop several years ago, and just last to an awning shop that also makes boat covers. There should be plenty of those on the West coast!! I took the old toppers and had them make them to size and put the required rubber piping in the ends.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Got good weather today in the NW

I was able to install the bedroom slide topper today the weather was great the only trouble I had was removing the rusted screws that held the topper in place on the gutter rail once they were gone the material slid quite easly there is alot of spring tension so be careful the new toppers look great next on to the couch / dinnett slide I'm going to get my son to help me on that one pretty big span.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun 33V View Post
We purchased the bedroom slide & dinette/couch slide from "tough Tops " Ray @ 480-773-2978 for our 05 Itasca sunrise 33V.Good quality, they arrived within 5 days both slide for under $280 dollars.Just need better weather here in the NW so I can install them.
Do you have to give them measurements and have a choice of colors, or do they have an exact replacement for the factory originals?

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Slide toppers

Ray @ tough tops was very helpful and he has a great web site you fill out the online form with your specs ( they ask you what type of awnings you have and what color you would like and show you how to measure ) Then Ray calls you to double check evrything. I was very happy with the quality of the material.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Red face Roller Spring Tip

I also just ordered replacement toppers this morning for my bedroom and living room slides from Ray at Tough Tops Awnings. You have to supply the fabric width (distance between end caps minus 1.5”), the slide extension distance, and one of four basic colors. I recommend you go to his Motorhome Answers website for a comprehensive look at his services and products.

Here’s a SLIDE TOPPER OR AWNING TIP I haven’t seen (apologies if I missed it), born of necessity yesterday, when preparing for my topper fabric change. Working alone, I found the roller springs a good deal stronger than anticipated. I couldn’t turn the roller against the springs and pin the end cap through the shaft at the same time. Using a screwdriver to turn the roller may cause damage to the aluminum end cap and screwdriver movement seems blocked by the hexagonal mounting arm. Light bulb finally went on and I used a strap wrench to turn the roller 1/2 turn at a time, pinning it through the shaft with an 8d nail each time to move the wrench. Work slowly, deliberately, and carefully, as the roller springs store a lot of energy that can do a job on you or your RV. Using the strap wrench, I was able to fully unroll the topper to see the roller label and when I change the fabric, this will get me to the end for removal and replacement of the outboard splined edge. Strap wrenches are available in various sizes at tool suppliers like Sears, Harbor Freight, Home Depot, etc. Here’s a picture of mine (an old model).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roller Grabber.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	621.8 KB
ID:	10101  
Old 05-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnxx View Post
Just order my from Tough Top Awnings, E-mail [email protected]
+1 for Ray.