Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2010, 06:34 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

I have the same problem on my two street side slides, I don't normally worry about it on one night stands as slow slide retract will let the water drain off. However, when staying somewhere for any long length of time I use a contruction of 1/2 inch fresh water PVC that creates a frame under the topper and allows the topper to drain.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

When I level, I tend to let the one end of the coach sit a bit low so the side toppers are not flat, seems to work most of the time. When you put out your awning, you always leave one end low so the water will run off. Same concept. On the side toppers, like the awning, the water will run to the roller side, and the roller is fairly stiff, so the water runs down the straight edge of the roller, as long as you have one end a few inches lower than the other.

I tried lowering one side per the manual, but I think it is hard on the jacks as they don't have a lot of give, and I would think that is one way the cylinders get bent.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Great idea Aussi..Thanks
jwd53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
tried lowering one side per the manual, but I think it is hard on the jacks as they don't have a lot of give, and I would think that is one way the cylinders get bent.
The jacks will take more than you give them credit for ...they actually hinge a bit from side to side. I have seen my coach shift several inches to the side as the jacks hit the top when on a slope. The jacks normally go outward at a slight angle ...when the coach shifts they can end up with one at even more of an angle and one straight up and down.

When I know there is water on the toppers, I will normally drop one end of the coach (whichever is higher) several inches and let most of the water pour off before bringing the slides in. Whatever is left just pours over the side when I bring the slides in. BUT ...if there has been water on the toppers I have learned to check the top of the front slide after brining it in ...if it is damp at all I put a rolled towel across the front of the slide. I have received cold water off the top of the slide and down the back of my neck a time or two when stopping ...that can be quite a shock!!! ...the towel stops that from happening.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Depending on the age of your fabric it may be stretched by I doubt it.

I have replaced all of my slide toppers and it is not a hard job PROVIDED you follow the manufacturers instructions. It is a TWO person job. Be carefull. You can get hurt if you do not do things correctly. Tightening up your topper would be the same process. Get a set of instructions from the manufacturer and follow them. Google on IRV2 or the internet for slide topper replacement fabric. I think the aftermarket sources have instructions on line as well.

Remember: TWO people, TWO ladders. Nothing less.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins powered Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Honda CRV, tow-N-4 Down, U.S. Gear Unified Tow brake, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

Universal Awning

There are a lot of great universal awnings you can choose from.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Tipping the coach to the drivers's side when departing will also help fully drain the black and grey water tanks. Won't help drain the curbside toppers.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote